SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Picture of 350zee
posted Hide Post
Hi Brian0, if you are serious about that solar one, PM me, maybe we could work out a deal. Seriously I have been using my Apple watch lately and my Movado's on the weekend.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***My Idea Of Gun Control Is A Firm Grip!!!***-------***NRA Life Member***----------

Posts: 1311 | Location: Everett, WA. | Registered: December 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 350zee: ...maybe we could work out a deal...

Wow! I appreciate the offer. But on a serious note, I really can't afford another watch for the foreseeable future. I have a Seiko 5 I bought a year ago for everyday use, an ESQ I got when I worked at Movado for dress occasions, a Casio divers watch I bought in June when I took up diving again, and a Cressi dive computer I bought two weeks ago. My cup runneth over!

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor: I put the blue strap on it.

Nice. I liked the red strap, but the blue really looks great.

Nice collection, but you need both an SKX and SRP in that collection.

I like the blue strap too. I have another option coming this week. We will see how it looks.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a Seiko 5 I bought a year ago for everyday use,

I have to ask: which 5 did you get?

I swear, at my desk "You will buy a Glock" seems to have been replaced with "You will buy a Seiko 5." I just can't decide which one. Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
I have a Seiko 5 I bought a year ago for everyday use,

I have to ask: which 5 did you get?

I don't recall the model name/number, but it's just a basic, no frills model:

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
New toy: Helm Vanuatu. Not expensive, but I like inexpensive tool watches. Seiko movement and a Hong Kong micro brand with roots in North Carolina.

Has a huge and heavy Super Engineer bracelet very similar to my Steinhart Triton 100. I haven't even mounted it yet. Currently on a reversible Nylon Zulu from Esslingers in Houston.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
That looks awesome RMD! What's the case size? 42mm? 44mm?

Posts: 11351 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
That looks awesome RMD! What's the case size? 42mm? 44mm?

IIRC, 42MM. Wears smaller than I thought it would.

RMD

Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Guys and Gals, I'm lusting over the Marathon Government (GSAR)line and was wondering about case size on them. Looks like they have a Medium, Regular and Jumbo. I have a Citizen model that is 42mm and it looks huge (but I love it, but would love it more at 38mm)and a Diver model at 46mm that looks just right. For those that own a Government model (and rOgue I'm a smaller guy like you are)what size do you have and how does it wear?

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
Guys and Gals, I'm lusting over the Marathon Government (GSAR)line and was wondering about case size on them. Looks like they have a Medium, Regular and Jumbo. I have a Citizen model that is 42mm and it looks huge (but I love it, but would love it more at 38mm)and a Diver model at 46mm that looks just right. For those that own a Government model (and rOgue I'm a smaller guy like you are)what size do you have and how does it wear?

I have an original 2001 contract model that is the SAR and it's right at 40MM. Moderately tall as the bezel is pretty thick.

In truth, I doubt you can find a better hard-wear watch. Mine has been thru hell and it still keeps good time.

Good Luck. The Marathon line has become fashionable and expensive for tool watches.

RMD

posted Hide Post
quote:

I have the regular GSAR and I'm perfectly happy with it on my 6.75" wrist. The Jumbo SAR was way too big on my wrist.

Posts: 708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
quote:

I have an original 2001 contract model that is the SAR and it's right at 40MM. Moderately tall as the bezel is pretty thick.

In truth, I doubt you can find a better hard-wear watch. Mine has been thru hell and it still keeps good time.

Good Luck. The Marathon line has become fashionable and expensive for tool watches.

RMD

I have a 7" wrist and the regular size GSAR works well. It is pretty thick for its diameter, as rduckwor notes. The chunkiness is part of the appeal. Honestly, considering current tastes and some of the ginormous wrist pigs out there, the GSAR by comparison is on the lower range of mid size.

I wish I had the same experience, reliability-wise. I've had the watch since Apr, but in Aug, I found it one morning stopped, and upon putting in a couple winds, it went pop. It's back at Marathon for warranty work. Doing some research, it seems there are some concerns inherent in the ETA 2824 design that potentially make lots of hand-winding a problem. And I'm guilty of wanting to wind my watch a lot...

This is not a knock against Marathon, as the ETA movement they use is pretty standard across multiple brands, and they're standing behind their warranty.

One tip for you is the best price I found for these is Wilson Watch Works in NC. They are an authorized dealer.

Good luck in your decision.

Rob

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 870 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
And I'm guilty of wanting to wind my watch a lot...

Nothing wrong with that. Accuracy improves quite a bit with a wound mainspring. The self-winding mechanism will keep it running, but never approach the level of a good hand winding.

I typically try to wind the one I am wearing every morning. No issues with my Marathon so far.

RMD

Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marlin Fan:
Does anyone have a Rolex GMT Master II? Would like to ask a few questions.

Yep. Ask away, if you please.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marlin Fan:
Does anyone have a Rolex GMT Master II? Would like to ask a few questions.

Will be following. Out of all the Rolex line, this is the one watch that has ever appealed to me if ever I was going to pick one up. Particularly the "Batman" iteration......

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
New toy: Helm Vanuatu. Not expensive, but I like inexpensive tool watches. Seiko movement and a Hong Kong micro brand with roots in North Carolina.

Has a huge and heavy Super Engineer bracelet very similar to my Steinhart Triton 100. I haven't even mounted it yet. Currently on a reversible Nylon Zulu from Esslingers in Houston.

RMD

Digging it!!!!
Was going to get a Hamilton but I do believe this may be the one. Hopefully they get the stainless bracelets soon.
I very much dislike anything not metal for a band.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25353 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

RMD

If you like inexpensive tool watches, check out the 45 and 50mm Aragon Divemaster Automatics. I bought one out of curiosity. For the money, it's really well built and cheap enough that I don't mind beating the hell out of it working on my car. This is the watch that spawned the term "ginormous wrist pig" for me.

http://www.aragonwatch.com/Ara...omatic_p/a064blk.htm

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 870 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
New toy: Helm Vanuatu.

Digging it!!!!
Was going to get a Hamilton but I do believe this may be the one. Hopefully they get the stainless bracelets soon.
I very much dislike anything not metal for a band.

It comes with a very nice screwed-link SS Super Engineer bracelet and a black Zulu nylon strap.

RMD

<EDIT> If you buy from an individual, be sure you get the second version. Much improved lume and Q/C.

RMD

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rduckwor,

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
It comes with a very nice screwed-link SS Super Engineer bracelet
RMD

How's the comfort of that bracelet? Any "felt" sharpness to it anywhere? Great looking watch. Probably too big for me at 42. Love the hands though.

Posts: 11351 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:
It comes with a very nice screwed-link SS Super Engineer bracelet
RMD

How's the comfort of that bracelet? Any "felt" sharpness to it anywhere? Great looking watch. Probably too big for me at 42. Love the hands though.

Seems fine. No terribly sharp edges, no cutting or pulling so far.

RMD