SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 453030:
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
Skydwellers are some serious hardware!

He's the "money partner" I see twice a week haha. I have no idea what the Rolex costs, his "beater" is a carbon fiber AP, im working on him setting me up with a payment plan on his submariner Big Grin

Forged carbon is not the best material for a "beater". It definitely dents and dings. AP's only all forged carbon watch is still the Alinghi Team Chronograph. I owned one for a year and never had a problem, but if you are prone to hitting things, the material is not durable.

I think this is the forged carbon one. The surround around the dial is definitely some sort of composite.

::edit::

He said it's the AP bumblebee

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 453030:
quote:
quote:
Skydwellers are some serious hardware!

He's the "money partner" I see twice a week haha. I have no idea what the Rolex costs, his "beater" is a carbon fiber AP, im working on him setting me up with a payment plan on his submariner Big Grin

Forged carbon is not the best material for a "beater". It definitely dents and dings. AP's only all forged carbon watch is still the Alinghi Team Chronograph. I owned one for a year and never had a problem, but if you are prone to hitting things, the material is not durable.

I think this is the forged carbon one. The surround around the dial is definitely some sort of composite.

::edit::

He said it's the AP bumblebee

Ah, the BumbleBee. The bezel is ceramic. It is a great combination.

Posts: 140 | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Here's a nice review of the mac-daddy of all dive watches, the Omega Ploprof.

I think I will buy one - NOT!

https://www.deployant.com/revi...master-ploprof-1200/

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Here's a nice review of the mac-daddy of all dive watches, the Omega Ploprof.

I think I will buy one - NOT!

https://www.deployant.com/revi...master-ploprof-1200/

RMD

I think there is a pretty good argument that a true professional diver's watch shouldn't have a display back, but given that there may be no actual professional divers wearing one (they mostly use dive computers), maybe it doesn't matter.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I agree. Diver watches aren't really a tool today unless you are diving on the cheap and can't/won't buy a computer. They have become jewelry.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:I think there is a pretty good argument that a true professional diver's watch shouldn't have a display back...

Okay, let's hear it.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:I think there is a pretty good argument that a true professional diver's watch shouldn't have a display back...

Okay, let's hear it.

Display backs are a weak point in a watch to be used at very deep depths. Why introduce another set of seals and potential failure point just so we can look at the movement?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Time to spice this up with my new (to me) Sub. I just love its simplicity.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Very nice, Coloradohunter! Hard to beat a no-date sub.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Very nice, Coloradohunter! Hard to beat a no-date sub.

Absolutely.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I like a no-date Sub a lot. Nice.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I like a no-date Sub a lot. Nice.

Very hard to beat the overall package of a no date Sub. I was squarely on the fence between that and the new (newest) 39mm Explorer. In a way I wish I'd gone Sub just to have something more different since I had had the new (not-so-newest) 39mm Explorer in the past.

Posts: 11354 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you don't crash, you
ain't tryin' hard enough
posted Hide Post
Saw this Helm on one of these pages and fell in love! Took me a while to find one. Like it a lot!

------------------------------------------------------------------------"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

Posts: 470 | Location: N. TX | Registered: April 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crni4:
Saw this Helm on one of these pages and fell in love!

Did you also get the strap with your Khuraburi, or just the bracelet?

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you don't crash, you
ain't tryin' hard enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
quote:
Originally posted by crni4:
Saw this Helm on one of these pages and fell in love!

Did you also get the strap with your Khuraburi, or just the bracelet?

Yup. Chose the black/orange nato strap.

------------------------------------------------------------------------"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

Posts: 470 | Location: N. TX | Registered: April 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Helm watches are a true bargain! New one coming out in 2018!

RMD

If you don't crash, you
ain't tryin' hard enough
posted Hide Post
That's great news! Any details? Diver I assume?

Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO: Did you also get the strap with your Khuraburi, or just the bracelet?

quote:
Originally posted by crni4: Yup. Chose the black/orange nato strap.

That's really sharp looking!

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That Helm is cool looking, but why no lume on the minute hand? Or on the first part of the elapsed time bezel?

If you don't crash, you
ain't tryin' hard enough
posted Hide Post
It does have the lume but it's orange and not as bright