SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Z06:
It is the timepiece that every watch/clock/clock radio/microwave oven/etc. is set to. I even "correct" my Omega when it gains a few seconds during the month.
10 years of faithful (hard use at times) service. Never needed a new band (stainless), or battery. The space gods set it every night.
Helluva a deal for $102.88!

That scorpion is seeing a lot of duty. Smile

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Z06:...The space gods set it every night.

I have two clocks that are supposed to do that, but over the last year they haven't picked up the signal. I don't know if WWV dropped their power, if the atmospherics changed, or what, but...nothing. (I'm just north of Seattle, and there are lots of mountains between me and Colorado, but they used to work.)

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

That scorpion is seeing a lot of duty. Smile

He's been having "A Weekend at Bernie's" experience.
I don't think he can pull off any more photo assignments. Sad.

Posts: 3997 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
I love the navy El Primero with the open power reserve.

Absolutely an Amazing watch! Zenith recently did a price drop and I know there are quite a few watch nerds that took a haircut on residual value of their watches. If you're an own it for life kind of guy, it made no real difference. But if you eventually let them go, it stung. I can't even fathom how an amazing watch like that could go as cheap as they do.

With a complex combination of case design, dial design and construction and a movement that is legendary. To be able to own a 278 component, 31 jewel, 36,000 VpH "in-house" column-wheel chronograph for this kind of money is really kind of astonishing.

Posts: 11351 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
I love the navy El Primero with the open power reserve.

As a watchmaker, I'm compelled to provide a little education here. "Power reserve" is an indication of how much longer the mainspring will provide usable energy to run the watch, typically measured in hours. It would be indicated by a hand against a scale, or by visualization of the mainspring. That's not the case here. What's visible is the balance, the escapement, and part of the going train; in otherwords, the watchworks. Or as Zenith calls it, "the beating heart" of the watch.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am just DUMBFOUNDED how under-respected and under-valued Zenith is as a brand.

I don't think they are under-respected or under valued. They are an expensive watch and just never got the traction Rolex, Breitling, et al achieved. Collectors know they are there and they scratch quite a few itches.

The El Primero's are beautiful, functional watches. As for the "open heart" models of any watch, I just never saw the attraction. It screws with the symmetry of the dial in my mind. Others feel differently.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
As for the "open heart" models of any watch, I just never saw the attraction. It screws with the symmetry of the dial in my mind.
RMD[/QUOTE]

Unless the entire movement is Openworked, and you have no actual dial :-)

Posts: 140 | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 453030:

As for the "open heart" models of any watch, I just never saw the attraction. It screws with the symmetry of the dial in my mind.
RMD[/QUOTE]

Unless the entire movement is Openworked, and you have no actual dial :-)
[/QUOTE]

Well . . . yeah. Smile

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The Royal Oak has never been my cup of tea, but an openworked one might be an exception.

But, if I had my preference:

http://montre24.com/news/2013-11-20/3865/

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
The Royal Oak has never been my cup of tea, but an openworked one might be an exception.

But, if I had my preference:

http://montre24.com/news/2013-11-20/3865/

The VC is stunning, and ironically reminds me very much of AP's Royal Oak skeletal perpetual calendar (case shape aside, of course).

I have always admired PC watches, but have no personal need for one. I prefer complications with technical interest instead of functional ones, pieces like The Freak or an MB&F Legacy, a Gronefeld 1941. So many these days to choose from.

Posts: 140 | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
This is my choice today. This is the watch I posted to start this thread, but Photobucket has limited my old free account, so here is a new photo. This is a better picture than the original anyway. This is a Seiko Kinetic which uses a rotor to generate an electric charge to charge a battery and capacitor to run a quartz watch. A sort of a self-winding quartz.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I hate you, jhe.

But, your taste in watches is impeccable.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
That GMT is stunning!

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
That GMT is stunning!

Yes, it is!

I haven't worn my Kinetic in quite some time, but it's surely been a great watch.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Fortis B-42 Cosmonaut

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
Impressive Smile

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1137 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Holy big photo! I can see each individual skin cell! Smile

Posts: 11351 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Got this at the Goodwill today
$5 and it's NEW.
Welcome to 1977.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:

I hate to say it but I actually miss photosuckit. They automatically limited the size of the photos. Imgur doesn't do it. I'm going to have to figure that out. Apologies for the IMAX size photos.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:

Big Grin

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post