SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:

I love it! My Dad wore an Elgin a lot like that one. In fact, it was this one! --

They made some beautiful watches in their day.

That is definitely one.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
quote:

I love it! My Dad wore an Elgin a lot like that one. In fact, it was this one! --

They made some beautiful watches in their day.
That is definitely one.
RMD

He wore it every day. It was his HS graduation present. Wore the plating right off of it. Incredibly it las†ed a whole career. Guessing he took it off in his la†e 50s and put it in a box. Likely no local watchmaker to fix it anymore.

Posts: 11353 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
DId you have it serviced and replated? It looks great.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
It sure is a beauty, r0gue!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:

RMD

I had it serviced. The plating is shot on the back. It was "gold filled" whatever the hell that is.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Do you guys know if Omega ever made a mesh bracelet for the Seamaster? I have mine on a brushed steel mesh band that I got off fleabay and while it looks surprisingly good I’d love to keep it all Omega if possible.

Also, can you guys recommend a good source for higher end nato straps?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
"gold filled"

Yes, the terms for gold content are confusing: Rolled Gold Plate, Gold Plated. Gold Filled, etc.

RMD

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

RMD

I had it serviced. The plating is shot on the back. It was "gold filled" whatever the hell that is.

My Dad's Elgin, that now wears your strap also says "gold filled" on the back.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:Yes, the terms for gold content are confusing: Rolled Gold Plate, Gold Plated. Gold Filled, etc.

At least gold plated describes what it actually is; but "gold filled?" It's not filled with gold.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I got my beater back from the watchmaker.

Only guy I know who wears an Omega as a "beater." Razz

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
I got my beater back from the watchmaker. Big Grin

This one has tempted me for ages. I have a few rules in my WIS-madness. They're MY rules, and I don't suggest them for everyone (unless of course you seek to do things the right way like a cool guy would).

Rule 1: No Romans. Ever. Unless you know,... you're in Rome. And then, yeah, Do as the Romans.
Rule 2: All divers get a NATO.
There are other weird rules. But these are a great beginning to cleaning up one's act.

Wink

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Another from my father's collection:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you guys know if Omega ever made a mesh bracelet for the Seamaster? I have mine on a brushed steel mesh band that I got off fleabay and while it looks surprisingly good I’d love to keep it all Omega if possible.

Also, can you guys recommend a good source for higher end nato straps?

My son has original Omega mesh on a vintage Omega Centenary, but I've never seen one on a Seamaster diver.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I think I know that watch JHE888. Oh well. I don’t like to keep things stock. Yes the Omega SMP has one of the best factory bracelets out there but I still like the watch more on mesh. At least until I find a nice NATO for it, then I’ll alternate depending on the climate and my mood. Big Grin

That’s a sweet Bronzer JHE. I lost an auction on one similar to yours. But I should hopefully win a cool obscure bronzer or two on some other auctions. As much as I love my stainless divers I keep coming back to my brass and bronze divers. They are becoming my favorite....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
My younger son inherited it from my wife's father. The other son inherited a '70s two-tone Datejust. Both are cool, but I think the Omega is cooler.

Actually, I don't know that the mesh is original, but I do know that it was on the watch when it was presented to my father in law. Perhaps the givers added a mesh bracelet. Or ordered it special, with mesh. As you can see, his name is on the face, and the back is inscribed to him.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Wow! Gorgeous watch!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Is that your son's name, or the name of the person that gave it to your son?

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is that your son's name, or the name of the person that gave it to your son?

That is my father-in-law's name. My son inherited it from him when he died. My FIL was given the watch in Argentina in the early '50's after completing a military assignment there.

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:

Very cool remembrance.

RMD

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Check this out. Single dome sapphire distortion. It looks like a bomb going off on the dial Eek Big Grin

Can you identify the watch? Hint: I’m into Swiss divers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~