SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I took off the silicone strap this morning to try a yellow-striped 3 ring zulu. The silicone is actually quite comfy but the watch just looks really thick.

First, I was a little disappointed in the shoddy/sloppy drilling done on the lugs. Not sure why each lug has an extra and in some cases two or three pilot holes. Oh well, it's a cheap watch so I can't expect too much.

The zulu is really stiff and will need time to break in.

As with any one piece zulu or nato, the watch sits proud. Also the exposed case between the lugs makes the watch look even bigger.

I think I'll put the silicone strap back on.
If you're getting a Deep Blue, I recommend the silicone strap over their Nato. I'd like to see one of their more expensive rubber straps in real life as well.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
That's a very nice shade of yellow.

I have become a big fan of silicone rubber straps. Very comfortable to me and cheap enough to offer great variety. I am a lover of drilled lugs as well.

Nice watch.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been enjoying all the great watches lately. For me, the new strap for my Glashutte Original came in a couple of days ago. I stayed with the same color combo but in alcantera and custom length specifically for the single fold clasp.

Posts: 708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
I picked this up on a trade a few weeks ago.
Bulova Lunar Pilot chronograph. I liked the backstory on it when they introduced the model but never jumped on one. It's the strap version.
So far the thing is the most accurate watch I own. In three weeks it's still 0+/-sec compared to time.gov.

I just watched a couple of reviews on the Lunar Piot and I’m impressed. It will go good with my Fortis Cosmonaut and Speedy Moon Watch. Thanks for introducing me to it. Snagged one for $329 new

I like mine a lot. It's become my daily work watch.

Got mine today. Gotta love Amazon Prime Sunday delivery. Currently on a chocolate Zulu but I ordered a Black Nato for it.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Looks good Dusty!
Did you get the bracelet version or the strap version?

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Strap version

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Here's my old Tag SEL that Dave serviced for me.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
^Very cool Mars, that brought memories of my one and only TAG. Same model, black face. Loved that bracelet.
I had it so long ago that it was before I ever took photos of my watches.

Posts: 3998 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you know what watch jewels are and what they do?
Here is a link to a YouTube video that discusses watch jewels and shows examples of how they make watches work under a microscope. I found it interesting. I hope this isn’t taking the thread off track.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vye-ahdNVHc

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:
Do you know what watch jewels are and what they do?

This reminds me of when I was in watchmaker's school and we were shown some really bad Rolex knockoffs. One Chinese-made example said "21 Jewels" on the dial, but when the back was removed the movement had three jewels that actually served a purpose, and 18 jewels stuck around the rim of the main plate doing absolutely nothing. I guess that made the company feel honest in their labeling. LOL.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Jewels are bearings.
I made this video Saturday with my microscope of an Accutron running.
You can see the parts spinning under the jewel caps.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/kBZ_0-vlPu0

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Z06:
my one and only TAG.

I bought "Mrs vthoky 1.0" a TAG a number of years ago. Great watch.

I learned recently she ditched it on eBay.

Roll Eyes

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
Here's another Accutron I picked up
A 1972 with a JB Champion bracelet

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to joining the SIGforum watch club. I've got a Glycine Airman coming to me shortly. I'll post a wrist check as soon as it gets to me.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sock Eating Golden:
Looking forward to joining the SIGforum watch club. I've got a Glycine Airman coming to me shortly. I'll post a wrist check as soon as it gets to me.

Nice. Can't wait to see it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
The Lunar Pilot with a Black Nato

With a Grey Nato that actually looks more silver

Shaman
posted Hide Post
Omega 861 escapement/heart beat.
Ref, 145.022 71

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/D-KZtjM4JIU

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Slightly off track, but Helmut Sinn died yesterday at age 102. 2/14/18.

Clearly, watchmaking is good for longevity!
The man made some great watches.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Omega 861 escapement/heart beat.
Ref, 145.022 71

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/D-KZtjM4JIU

Very cool. We need a slo-mo to see the pallet fork clearly.

Thanks for posting this.

RMD

Shaman
posted Hide Post
I'll see what I can do