SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
My Orient hand winds and hacks.
It has the newest F6922 movement.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
My new G-Shock!!! I LOVE their Solar models! This pairs up with my phone!

https://imgur.com/a/G9Yb1Mi

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
My Orient hand winds and hacks.
It has the newest F6922 movement.

My understanding is that the Mako XL model continues to use an older movement and does not. Perhaps I’ll be pleasantly surprised when it arrives, though.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sybo:
My new G-Shock!!! I LOVE their Solar models! This pairs up with my phone!

What's the function of the subdial at 9 o'clock? (It looks like a cooling fan. LOL)

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The Mako looks great.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Apparently the Mako XL gets the Ray dial.
As the standard Mako is the Ray with a numbered dial.
I absolutely love the Orient. Orient makes great stuff.

The Steinhart is absolutely flawless.
It fells like a $9000 watch.
The bracelet is smooth like the Ball Marzy has.
The size is absolutely perfect. It's slightly smaller that the Invictas 40mm.
It wears small too. Just perfect.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
XL is a good looking watch! I agree that Orient make some good stuff.

What's the purpose of the upper button on the XL? Is this some form of kinetic movement?

Thanks,

RMD

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rduckwor,

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20317 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
XL is a good looking wathc! I agree that Orient make some good stuff.

What's the purpose of the upper button on the XL? Is this some form of kinetic movement?

Thanks,

RMD

No, it’s a push button that advances the day-of-the-week, while the single pull of the crown advances the date only. A different setup than I’m used to, but that’s the way it’s designed.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by at-home-daddy:
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
XL is a good looking wathc! I agree that Orient make some good stuff.

Thanks,

RMD

No, it’s a push button that advances the day-of-the-week, while the single pull of the crown advances the date only. A different setup than I’m used to, but that’s the way it’s designed.

Cool.

Thanks,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20317 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Lord Elgin I am building up for one of the sons. All work has stopped until I determine if the hands are lumed with radium. I suspect they are after-market hands as I have yet to see an L.E. with lumed hands.

RMD

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Just don't lick them.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34104 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
If the hands are radium, they still aren't acutely dangerous unless the radium is swallowed or breathed. The fact that yours is out of the case makes it somewhat more likely that you could ingest some radium if a piece were to flake off. Wear a mask and gloves, at least, if turns out to be radium. (Even better, find someone set up and willing to work on it.) Just wearing a radium watch isn't very risky, though.

Don't get me wrong, the radium is still there, emitting radiation. Even if they no longer glow, it is because the flourescent paint is worn out, not because the radium isn't still radioactive. But there is so little radium in a watch, that the radiation danger from external exposure is negligible.

Watch dial painters were harmed by radium because they licked their paint brushes to put a point on them. They had long term, internal exposure.

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/11/health/11real.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
If the hands are radium, they still aren't acutely dangerous unless the radium is swallowed or breathed. The fact that yours is out of the case makes it somewhat more likely that you could ingest some radium if a piece were to flake off. Wear a mask and gloves, at least, if turns out to be radium. (Even better, find someone set up and willing to work on it.) Just wearing a radium watch isn't very risky, though.

Don't get me wrong, the radium is still there, emitting radiation. Even if they no longer glow, it is because the flourescent paint is worn out, not because the radium isn't still radioactive. But there is so little radium in a watch, that the radiation danger from external exposure is negligible.

Watch dial painters were harmed by radium because they licked their paint brushes to put a point on them. They had long term, internal exposure.

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/11/health/11real.html

Thanks. Yeah, I know the drill on radium. Did the whole radiation safety thing as a postgrad. Trying to find an aquantance with a Geiger counter.

RMD

Picture of JD83
posted Hide Post
Took advantage of the crazy prices nowadays that the 16710 GMT and Sub 14060M are fetching and traded these, plus cash

for this white gold DD40(came w/stickers attached, box, tags,
and paper :

(A classic "buy low, sell high" transaction).

Posts: 352 | Location: Blue Heaven  | Registered: April 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JD83:
Took advantage of the crazy prices nowadays that the 16710 GMT and Sub 14060M are fetching and traded these, plus cash

and paper :

Enjoy the new Rolex. I would not have parted with that Coke though.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10907 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JD83:

and paper :

Those 5 digit Rolex sport watches are commanding a premium because Rolex has jumped the shark with their new models. (My opinion), and thus people can taste the vintage classic feel in these models and they've really drawn back the availability of them on the pre-owned market. I can't fault your decision if that's what's calling you. But I suspect one day, you'll be amazed where those 5 digit models ultimately go to. Double current values is not out of the question (my opinion again).

Posts: 11376 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I want a '90s DateJust, but damn, I can buy an Explorer 40 for what they are commanding.

Omega is an amazing value right now.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34104 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of leftnose
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Those 5 digit Rolex sport watches are commanding a premium because Rolex has jumped the shark with their new models. (My opinion), and thus people can taste the vintage classic feel in these models and they've really drawn back the availability of them on the pre-owned market. I can't fault your decision if that's what's calling you. But I suspect one day, you'll be amazed where those 5 digit models ultimately go to. Double current values is not out of the question (my opinion again).

I have a 16610 which I have no intention of selling as I think it comes from the height of the applied-marker Rolex era, a 1.5-2 year range, 1999-2001, when they were making the Sub with both SELs and lug holes. But that's just my opinion.

That said, I notice asking prices on 16610s have gone up ~50% in the last 2-3 years. It was easy to find them at $4-5K not that long ago. Now everyone is asking $7k-ish for good examples. It's nuts!

Posts: 647 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Hublot Solid Sapphire

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R9zDjU84f8

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

posted Hide Post

Posts: 140 | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post