SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted
I got a new watch. I don't know that I need a GMT complication, but it is cool.

Maybe this will get the watch thread going again.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Very nice!! Enjoy, I think Seiko is a hell of a value!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Do you have the model number for that? It's a very clean, easy to read, face, with GMT -- just the type that I prefer.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
A fine looking timepiece! Seiko's are built to last a lifetime. Seeing kinetic on the dial does it use a battery or just wind from movement?

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
A fine looking timepiece! Seiko's are built to last a lifetime. Seeing kinetic on the dial does it use a battery or just wind from movement?

Both. It has a rotor that spins when your arm moves (like a mechanical automatic watch), but that rotor drives a tiny generator (instead of winding a mainspring) which charges a battery and several capacitors which power a quartz movement. When fully charged, it will reportedly run for six months. The originals' (ten years ago) capacitors had some trouble with too short lives, but the addition of the rechargeable battery has, apparently, solved this problem.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Currently wearing a Seiko chronograph.

Someday, I'd love to own a Grand Seiko --> Japanese Rolex Big Grin.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Very nice. Do you have the model number for that? It's a very clean, easy to read, face, with GMT -- just the type that I prefer.

SUN017P1

SUN015P1 is a black version. SUN015P2 is black with a leather strap.

They are grey market in the U.S.; they aren't exported to the U.S. by Seiko. I got mine through Amazon, and there are some European internet sites that will ship to the U.S. They are also popping up on eBay. I saw this model last spring, and it took a while for them to be available in the U.S.

There are some very nice Grand Seikos. They are not as expensive as the high-end Swiss watches (but are still expensive), and reportedly have better quality and finishes than many of the Swiss makes. They aren't at the level of the hand made watches like Patek Philipe, but it wouldn't surprise me to find they are better watches than Rolex and the other high-end Swiss factory watches.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

SUN017P1

SUN015P1 is a black version. SUN015P2 is black with a leather strap.

They are grey market in the U.S.; they aren't exported to the U.S. by Seiko. I got mine through Amazon, and there are some European internet sites that will ship to the U.S. They are also popping up on eBay. I saw this model last spring, and it took a while for them to be available in the U.S.
Thank you sir. Appreciate the information.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oakley Minute machine- titanium edition.
My wife got me this for our 20 year anniversary.

Posts: 483 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jargon51
posted Hide Post
I just picked up this one and love it:

J51

Posts: 968 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
Jargon, nice pics of your Citizen Eco. 'Tango Strap' is a nice added touch. Really sharp!

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 758 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Nice, easy to read dial. I like it.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
This is my very worn and much loved Christopher Ward Speed Hawk.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
Krav, I can see why you like it. It's a real knock-out, the knurled crown is a nice touch too! Is this a British-make? I'm assuming it has a Swiss-movement. It looks to be about 44mm, am I correct? Thanks for sharing pics of this really-sharp chrono.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 758 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
Thanks, eTripper! It's a 42mm, but definitely a beefy 42. The watchmaker is British, but all the movements, and almost all of the watches are made in Switzerland. This particular one is Swiss Made. I think that they have discontinued this line, but they do have a lot of nice watches, and you can occasionally find some used ones for sale. The US website is http://www.christopherward-usa.com

Here are a couple of pictures of my dress watch. This one has a Swiss movement, but isn't Swiss Made.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seiko's are built to last a lifetime.

Here's a Seiko mechanical Chronograph (AV013 6138-3009)I bought back in 1975. Been serviced a number of times and the original metal bracelet has long since been retired. Still works great Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
One of my Breitlings... Love this watch.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
Excellent photograph of the "Navitimer", great pic!

Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Seiko's are built to last a lifetime.

Here's a Seiko mechanical Chronograph (AV013 6138-3009)I bought back in 1975. Been serviced a number of times and the original metal bracelet has long since been retired. Still works great Smile

I purchased my first Seiko, in a Navy Exchange on Guam circa 1970. It lasted almost into the mid-80's.