SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
RobLew, have you tried any Ventus watches? They are the sister brand to Zelos and in my experience they are excellent watches too. I have a brass Northstar and Mori and they have been great watches. The patina is quite a bit different from my bronzers.

Yup - I have a Ventus Mori - really nice watch I got when he first launched at big discount. I'm a sucker for a discount.

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 872 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Time for a new strap for my orange and black Eco Drive. I want to stick with brown leather. What do you all suggest?

10991497_10204404787774009_4526247319756217843_o by Brad Benzing, on Flickr

Posts: 11222 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
Time for a new strap for my orange and black Eco Drive. I want to stick with brown leather. What do you all suggest?

Brad,
I have several "dark" watches like yours and have found that the straps labeled "orange" color (which is really a nice rich tan color) goes really well with them. With your Eco-Drive orange numerals, etc, I think it's a natural as opposed to a dark brown. But that's just me. Smile
Lots of brands out there to choose from with varying price points. No experience within the last few years so I won't offer a recommendation other than color.
That said I have Sirtoli (no longer in business), Rios, Kreisler, Hirsch, and quite a few others including some eBay no-names, in alligator, crocodile, and various leathers.
An "orange" example:

As an aside, any luck with the Sinn "quest"?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16205 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ScubaSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ok. Time to test your watch identification skills.

What kind of watch is Stickman wearing tonight?

Looks like an Alpina from the triangle

Posts: 724 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:

10991497_10204404787774009_4526247319756217843_o by Brad Benzing, on Flickr

Look at Hirsch straps. I have a Hirsch Robby on my Omega PO. The strap is a water resistant black sail cloth leather top with a orange rubber edges and underside. The watch has an orange bezel with orange numbers on the dial and the strap looks good on it.
I also several Hirsch leather straps however I have found some decent straps on Amazon of all places.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Tooky 13 that Speed Pro is one of my dream watches and you have a spectacular example...congratulations on owning such a fine watch!

quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
quote:
Originally posted by Tooky13:And here's a few of the watchbands I've been wearing it on...

I love this. Bit of trivia: This is the actual "James Bond pattern," not that black and grey one that was never worn in a movie until Daniel Craig wore one in 'SPECTRE.' People thought Sean Connery wore one in 'Goldfinger,' but that was a misconception based on a black & white publicity photo.

Interesting bit of trivia...thanks for sharing!

Goldfinger; Bond lighting a cigarette while checking the time on his Rolex...just before the charges he set detonated.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post

The producer's personal Rolex. Nice, 16mm strap on a 20mm watch.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:The producer's personal Rolex. Nice, 16mm strap on a 20mm watch.

Yeah, that was unfortunate, but it was what was available at the time.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p220cop
posted Hide Post

My Tag S/EL after a relume by Motor City Watch Works. They do fantastic work. Brought this home after the '91 Gulf War. Glad to have it back!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: p220cop,

Chaos, panic and disorder. My work here is done........

Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I'm an amazing beautiful soul. Another person will say I'm a cold-hearted asshole. Believe them both. I act accordingly......

Posts: 142 | Registered: June 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LMLarsen
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I have an Aquaracer chrono in need of a refresh; can you share or send me contact info for them? Thanks!

Posts: 271 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ok. Time to test your watch identification skills.

What kind of watch is Stickman wearing tonight?

I’m going with Glycine Combat Sub Vintage 42.

Posts: 386 | Registered: November 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p220cop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LMLarsen:
Very nice! I have an Aquaracer chrono in need of a refresh; can you share or send me contact info for them? Thanks!

http://motorcitywatchworks.com/

The owner / operator's name is Jay. Straight up good guy to deal with. He is in big demand, so his services may take a few months, but it is worth the wait.

Chaos, panic and disorder. My work here is done........

Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I'm an amazing beautiful soul. Another person will say I'm a cold-hearted asshole. Believe them both. I act accordingly......

Posts: 142 | Registered: June 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LMLarsen
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much!

Posts: 271 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Sir Guy, that is correct.

The black sand dial and bezel insert version with a stainless case just showed up for sale on Gnomon’s website. I think I like my blue dial version more and if I were to snag another I’d prob get the PVD case and black sand dial...I love the vintage style. It’s got a cool vintage Explorer Sub vibe going but in a damn cool case shape.... and it doesn’t hurt that it costs I suppose only about 2-5% what the Rolex version would cost but still offers quite a bit of bang for your buck.

Quite tempting. Link to new Glycine vintage combat automatic sub

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21101 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p220cop:
My Tag S/EL after a relume by Motor City Watch Works. They do fantastic work. Brought this home after the '91 Gulf War. Glad to have it back!

Very nice, looks like something grown in a lab. Smile

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8341 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
For years now, I would come back to this thread just to admire some of the fine watches, some of the classic time pieces, and some of today's really interesting designs...not to mention just to admire some of the extraordinary photography displayed.

This comment is not directed at anybody in particular...but, just a general observation that while reviewing the early pages it's so disappointing to see so many broken pic links.

I realize that Photobucket hosed a bunch of us a few years back, and that people come and go on the forum and there isn't much to do about that...but for those of you who regularly post in the thread, I do hope you'll make an effort to update your pic links as needed. This really is a very enjoyable and informative thread, even for some of us who don't post regularly.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post

Samurai, all lit up after being outdoors for a couple of minutes.

God bless America.

Posts: 13493 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Modern Day Savage, I know it’s not directed at me. For the longest time I was 100% satisfied with owning a single watch, a bright red G-Shock rescue. I remember when I posted it so long ago and it was received so positively that someone got triggered and asked to have their account deleted or some mess like that. Big Grin How dare a bright red ugly quartz get more attention than my fancy mechanical watch was probably their line of thinking.

I agree with you. It sucks that photobucket did that, I was actually storing a lot of my pics there with no back up since my phone back then had such crappy memory size back then.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21101 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
vthoky, I love it man! The Seiko Samurai has amazing lume. Some of the best in the business for sure.

It’s a strong watch too. I got punted one of a tube behind my friends boat while wearing my bright orange Smaurai. I hit the water at probably 30-35 mph and tumbled. It didn’t even phase my Samurai. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Holy smokes, stick, loving that orange-faced Samurai!

God bless America.

Posts: 13493 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post