SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Thanks!
A very clean one is fetching $135.
This one looks like it got dark grey paint on it and seized the crown.
I gently heated it and applied solvent and the crown twisted loose, so I popped the back and removed the stem completely and cleaned it.
Now it works fine.
My final bid was $39 +shipping!

I have 2 more chronos I'm watching!

I too LOVE chronos, and I actually use them.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Score!!!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thinking...thinking...thinking...

40mm...

$125 on Amazon...

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Thinking...thinking...thinking...

40mm...

$125 on Amazon...

I like stainless bezels (have a couple Seiko Monsters) and in general it's a sharp watch, but that very odd flopping right-side-up of the 20, 25, 30, 35, and 40 on the bezel would drive me crazy. I assume the bezel on this watch is also a timer, so any use of it will have those numbers upside down when used as such. I've never seen a diver's watch with that design, and were it me I'd keep looking for one with a more standard bezel layout.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by at-home-daddy: I assume the bezel on this watch is also a timer, so any use of it will have those numbers upside down when used as such.

It's not a rotating bezel, it's just a design element.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't notice it until you pointed it out, so thanks for the alert. I guess it doesn't really bother me, especially since, as Brian points out, it's not a rotating bezel.

On checking closer, though, what does bother me is that this watch doesn't have a Seiko warranty card with it, just the Amazon warranty. The company selling it isn't one that I could much background on, either. Nobody else seems to be selling this particular watch, so I'm concerned about its authenticity.

Besides that, I don't like dealing with Amazon since they stopped taking purchase orders over the phone a couple years ago.

I'm going to keep looking for it, hoping it shows up with a reputable seller.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
In early December I took a flyer and put money down on a Stratton VDC MKII Automatic watch. The first batch of 200 is due to be finished by the end of March. I should have mine in April with pictures to follow.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Anyone else waiting for Shinola's automatic watches?

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
My new Marathon TSAR. Every year when I get my fire department paycheck(we get paid once a year), I buy either a pistol, watch or knife. this year it was a watch. It means a little bit to me at $9 a fire call and a buck a medical run.
Thought I'd see how it looks with a NATO strap. Hoping to get the stainless bracelet for it as well.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
My new Marathon TSAR. Every year when I get my fire department paycheck(we get paid once a year), I buy either a pistol, watch or knife. this year it was a watch. It means a little bit to me at $9 a fire call and a buck a medical run.
Thought I'd see how it looks with a NATO strap. Hoping to get the stainless bracelet for it as well.

Nice.

Posts: 708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Well done! The Marathon SAR series are fine watches.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just picked this watch up for a decent price. Not an auto but wanted something I could grab and go and not worry about adjusting time and such. Supposed 10 month power reserve when fully charged.

Posts: 708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spent some time on Amazon's website last night looking at their Seiko listings, and discovered that NONE of them have the factory warranty! All you get with a Seiko bought there is Amazon's "two year warranty" which probably won't be worth anything.

Caveat Emptor!

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
brminpin, I really like that Seiko!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
All you get with a Seiko bought there is Amazon's "two year warranty" which probably won't be worth anything.

Caveat Emptor!

Based on my Seiko experience (I have a half-dozen of them, I think), you won't even need the warranty.

Brminpin, that's a good-looking watch. I've got an older Kinetic; I'll be curious to see what you think of the Solar.

God bless America.

Posts: 13426 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Based on my Seiko experience (I have a half-dozen of them, I think), you won't even need the warranty...

Yeah, both of my previous Seikos broke down completely when they were 7 years old. No parts available to repair, so a warranty would have been useless. Wink

Actually, I e-mailed the seller about the warranty and they say they're an AD for Seiko and will punch the warranty card, so that part may be OK after all.

Three sources give three different sizes for the watch, though -- 40mm, 41mm and 43mm. I don't want to go bigger than 40mm for a simple watch, so I'm doing more research.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
I spent some time on Amazon's website last night looking at their Seiko listings, and discovered that NONE of them have the factory warranty! All you get with a Seiko bought there is Amazon's "two year warranty" which probably won't be worth anything.

Caveat Emptor!

Japanese market watches won't generally come to the U.S. with a warranty. A lot of those watches are just that - watches Seiko doesn't sell to the U.S. or European market. It isn't the retailer, it is Seiko. If you want the watch, it isn't going to have a Seiko warranty.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm headed out the door, but later today I'll try and post both my question and their answer. I'm still a bit suspicious, and will value your input.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

My very basic Marathon came today, and I couldn't be more pleased. I was concerned the 36mm might be a bit small, but it fits my wrist just fine. It does all I want, with a stainless case and sapphire crystal. Any sites recommended for basic leather bands in 16mm width?

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Anyone else waiting for Shinola's automatic watches?

Which one(s) you looking at?

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post