SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
For some reason I'm not a fan of homage watches, even when they're Seiko quality. In its favor, though, it's only 1mm bigger than a Submariner or my GMT Master.

Thanks for the referral.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9157 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave just got back to me, can't help with Seiko.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9157 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
I've wanted this Destro for a while but never wanted to pay the crazy price people were asking.

Finally.

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6010 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hiend
posted Hide Post
Nice Pam. A question, you wearing Righty Pam569on the left hand any reason why not 305 or 389? I see probably dial texture.
Enjoy.
I love pams. Currently wear pam321 and pam273 in the watch winder.

SIG|BERETTA|HK|SA TRP|DAN WESSON|

Posts: 42 | Location: NYC, State of Empire | Registered: May 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is that a capillary depth gauge in the upper right quadrant?

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Is that a capillary depth gauge in the upper right quadrant?

No, that's a 15-minute precision timer on a rotating bezel.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
I find it very comfortable on the left wrist because I don't get the "crown bite"

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6010 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davetruong:
I've wanted this Destro for a while but never wanted to pay the crazy price people were asking.

Finally.

You're right. Their prices are crazy, but they are beautiful watches.

I noticed a new Pam chrono on the wrist of a guy sitting across the aisle from me flying into Bangkok. It was gorgeous. When he told me the cost, I damn near fainted.

Congrats on scratching that itch.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hiend
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davetruong:
I find it very comfortable on the left wrist because I don't get the "crown bite"

Pam00569 have a beautiful hobnail dial.

SIG|BERETTA|HK|SA TRP|DAN WESSON|

Posts: 42 | Location: NYC, State of Empire | Registered: May 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
No pictures yet but I got my TSAR today. Big Grin Really liking it so far. Pics after I get it NATO strapped.

Posts: 11222 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Stuffed an extra 18mm Nomos strap onto my Grandpa’s old Girard Perregaux. I think it works! It was a tight fit in the 16mm lug, but the extra width of the strap de-ladyfies it enough that I can actually see myself wearing it again. It looked too narrow for modern tastes to be a man's watch. But now, it looks boss!

Posts: 11379 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Class!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38673 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I've lurked this thread for some time, drooling over some of the watches you all have. I have rarely worn a watch during my life, but I am finding in my doddering age a wrist watch would be a useful addition. I am seeking help in finding the right "fit" for me.

I have smallish wrists/arms, so my size should be in the 35mm-39mm range. I would really prefer a stainless case, and a sapphire crystal. I definitely want a quartz movement. Made in Japan or Switzerland both pull me strongly, but maybe there are reasons why I should consider others.

So far, the following two appeal to me and my budget (the further under $500, the better). First, the Marathon WW194015SS, at 39mm and $360 MSRP. Second, I just noticed, a Seiko reproduction of the iconic Steve Jobs watch, available 33mm->38mm. Said to be priced around $150 US, but with limited availability outside of Japan. I am not sure of the case and crystal specs on that one. Date function is not important to me, just a basic watch with readable Arabic numerals.

Any help in finding a watch with these specs, and the best places to shop for it, are welcome.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You said the date function is not important, but I'm guessing it would be pretty hard to see the date on that Marathon, if your doddering age is anywhere near mine.

I picked up a Timex last year as a beater watch, and both the date and the sweep second hand are impossible to see -- the date is too small and the second hand is too narrow. It's a 43mm case.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

I've lurked this thread for some time, drooling over some of the watches you all have. I have rarely worn a watch during my life, but I am finding in my doddering age a wrist watch would be a useful addition. I am seeking help in finding the right "fit" for me.

I have smallish wrists/arms, so my size should be in the 35mm-39mm range. I would really prefer a stainless case, and a sapphire crystal. I definitely want a quartz movement. Made in Japan or Switzerland both pull me strongly, but maybe there are reasons why I should consider others.
Any help in finding a watch with these specs, and the best places to shop for it, are welcome.

I've owned this watch before on a strap. It's very very cool IMO. On a bracelet all the better. 37mm. A classic vintage Seiko. (note I don't know this seller, but I'd personally feel it's fine. Scammers don't bait with $100 seikos)

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f...-1974-a-4050921.html

Then add a nice sport watch like this:

http://www.longislandwatch.com...Watch_p/snk809k2.htm

Posts: 11379 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Stuffed an extra 18mm Nomos strap onto my Grandpa’s old Girard Perregaux. I think it works! It was a tight fit in the 16mm lug, but the extra width of the strap de-ladyfies it enough that I can actually see myself wearing it again. It looked too narrow for modern tastes to be a man's watch. But now, it looks boss!

That works well! Beautiful watch in terms of appearance and memories.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Then add a nice sport watch like this:
http://www.longislandwatch.com...Watch_p/snk809k2.htm

Is that the same as this one at Amazon? I'm not sure what the K2 designates.

I've debated buying this one for quite some time. My only grouch with it is that the crystal is flat, rather than domed. My el cheapo ($70) Citizen is a great watch but I hate the flat crystal -- I get the glare from darn near every light fixture at work. The rounded crystal on my everyday Seiko helps avoid that.

God bless America.

Posts: 13494 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
...I'm not sure what the K2 designates...

K2 indicates the country it was made in. Model number ending in J is made in Japan, and in your case it probably indicates China. I think the Seiko 5 finder website has more info on this.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thank you!
I'm still itching a little over the fact that this one is a 42mm [and I have skinny wrists], but I'm way tempted to do a buy-and-try.

God bless America.

Posts: 13494 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure which 42mm watch you're referring to, as both in your earlier post are 37 or 38mm, a nice size for us skinny guys.

A caution, though: the 21 jewel Seiko movements don't allow you to hack the second hand -- it doesn't stop when you pull the crown out to set the time. This is a deal-breaker for me.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18