SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! And I'd bet they don't look like you're wearing a Grandfather Clock on your wrist, either. Any idea what the case dimensions are?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Beautiful!!! What a great trade.

Jack Alexyon at IWW is your man.

Congrats!!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Beautiful! And I'd bet they don't look like you're wearing a Grandfather Clock on your wrist, either. Any idea what the case dimensions are?

The Heuer is a re-issue. But it's a well executed one. It's 36mm. The Breitling is the true vintage. It's 36mm I don't own a watch bigger than the 30s. 39mm is my largest now. I have smaller wrists and even 40's strike me as too large anymore.

Posts: 11383 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish I could find an affordable nice watch in the 36mm size range. My Rolex is 43mm, I believe (GMT Master), and that's pretty damned big.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wish I could find an affordable nice watch in the 36mm size range. My Rolex is 43mm, I believe (GMT Master), and that's pretty damned big.

I'm selling that Heuer very soon. Sent you an email. 36 is exactly the right size for me. I'm a 6.5" wrist. I can pull off a 34 if the watch is just right. Same with a 40 though it's pushing it. I've had 39s (like my GO) that were too big because of the thin bezel.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:

I could wear a larger without problem (have a 42mm Luminox, for instance) but I love the way my Midsize Seamaster looks on my wrist. 36 1/4 mm.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got your e-mail, and it was a very generous offer, rOgue, but still way more than I can afford. I'm lucky in one sense, I guess, in that the one really expensive watch that I bought was so well-built that it's still running fine after nearly 35 years.

Retirement sucks, in more ways than one! That Heuer is gorgeous!

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765: I wish I could find an affordable nice watch in the 36mm size range.

"Affordable" and "nice watch" are, of course, subjective, but I have a 38mm Seiki 5 that I like. It's not very accurate, but I just set it each day before putting it on. (The seconds hand can't be hacked, though, so it'll still never be exact, but it's close enough.)

Here's a little video from Long Island Watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS1rutZ7XeM

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
...38mm Seiki 5... It's not very accurate, but I just set it each day before putting it on...

To paraphrase Townsend Whelen, "Only accurate watches are interesting." I've never heard that the Seiko 5 watches were anything less than accurate, though. In fact, I tried a couple times to find the Seiko 5 selection on various websites with the idea of buying one if it was affordable. So far no luck, and from that I'm assuming they are not available from Seiko USA and wouldn't be covered or serviced by them. The Seiko 5's I see here in this thread are all very nice, even those that aren't my particular taste which runs toward classic chronographs like rOgue's Breitling and Heuer.

Back in the 1970's I had one of these:

I liked it a lot. It lasted only 7 years, though, and Seiko didn't supply repair parts for it back then. I found an identical replacement which also died a age 7.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765: ...I've never heard that the Seiko 5 watches were anything less than accurate, though.

My standards may be higher than others'. ;-)

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
...38mm Seiki 5... It's not very accurate, but I just set it each day before putting it on...

To paraphrase Townsend Whelen, "Only accurate watches are interesting." I've never heard that the Seiko 5 watches were anything less than accurate, though. In fact, I tried a couple times to find the Seiko 5 selection on various websites with the idea of buying one if it was affordable. So far no luck, and from that I'm assuming they are not available from Seiko USA and wouldn't be covered or serviced by them. The Seiko 5's I see here in this thread are all very nice, even those that aren't my particular taste which runs toward classic chronographs like rOgue's Breitling and Heuer.

I liked it a lot. It lasted only 7 years, though, and Seiko didn't supply repair parts for it back then. I found an identical replacement which also died a age 7.

You would never service a Seiko 5. They can easily be bought for under $200. Often closer to $100. If they break, you replace them, not fix them. They are quite good for the price. And very reasonably accurate for $150 mechanical watches. I would expect them to be no worse than between +/- 15 seconds a day. Many will be much better at more like under 10 seconds variation per day. That is really quite good for a cheap mechanical watch.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888: You would never service a Seiko 5. ...They are quite good for the price. And very reasonably accurate for $150 mechanical watches. I would expect them to be no worse than between +/- 15 seconds a day.

Mine gains 1.5 minutes per day. One of these days I'll crack it open and adjust it. If I'm really bored I may even pull the balance and poise it...but probably not.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
THE most amazing affordable I've ever owned. I love affordable watches too.

LINKY

Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I want a 1974 Seiko 5 6139 "Pouge" yellow face.

And if you can find it for $200, that's a bargain.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Speaking of value watches. How about the $79 Braun "Dieter Rams". Ignore that the stock strap didn't do it for me. I'm finicky that way.

Shaman
posted Hide Post
I just won a vintage 7T62 Seiko Flightmaster off e-bay.

And hopefully all my repair tools will be in soon.
I'mm adding watch repair to my list of things I can do. Big Grin

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Known to be a cheap S.O.B., RMD rediscovers Timex.

This is a case where the strap costs more than the watch!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
It is a handsome watch.

Shaman
posted Hide Post
Because I never tire of showing off my 1971 Speedmaster Professional.
This was my wife's uncle's watch. He was the meterologist for NASA.

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! Speedy's are very special watches. I have a pilot friend who has one. They're too small for me, but I lust after them nevertheless.

Congrats and wear it in good health.

Post some pix of the Seiko when it comes in.

RMD