SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Picture of TAP
posted Hide Post
r0gue,

If you would, I'd like your advice about pricing a used watch to sell. Email in my profile.

Thanks

Posts: 831 | Location: Portland, OR. | Registered: October 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TAP:
r0gue,

If you would, I'd like your advice about pricing a used watch to sell. Email in my profile.

Thanks

email sent

Posts: 11357 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I'm going to Paris for a few days in a few days. I'm gonna fondle as many watches as I can. Thank you Trump for sending the euro into the shitter.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Yep! Euro is now worth $1.08 USD! Buy your stuff now!

Thank you Italy!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
I'm going to Paris for a few days in a few days. I'm gonna fondle as many watches as I can. Thank you Trump for sending the euro into the shitter.

And Brexit! Thanks, Great Britain.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
What's the consensus on Orient watches? If I'm correct, a brief bit of research indicates they're owned by Seiko, have Japanese movements, and are of decent value for the money.

I'd like to add a blue dial watch to my very modest collection, and this one in particular has caught my eye...a King Master:

Also looking at this one, though progressively less so than the King Master...less classic and retro than the above, a more modern, rugged look:

Usually I default to Seiko (love my Orange Monster and Sarb 017 Alpinist, and plan to pick up a SARB 033 in the next year or two), but for the blue dial watch I thought I'd try something different and Orient's watches continue to catch my eye when I browse on-line.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I have had some Orient watches in the past. They were fine. I'm not crazy about their current styling, but I thought the band-for-the-buck factor was good.

Good Luck,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Flipping through the Design issue of WatchTime last night and came across the new offering from Citizen.

I'm not a huge fan of the Eco-Drive line, but this one is fascinating at <3mm as a design challenge.

Wonder if David has gotten his hands on one as a dealer for the brand?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
More on the Citizen ultra thin watch is in the link. They are quartz watches.

The one shown is a carbide composite and is $6K. In steel, they will be $2.6K.

But the thinnest mechanical watch, a Piaget Altiplano 900P, at a whopping 3.65mm thick, is $26K, so the Citizen is a bargain.

https://www.hodinkee.com/artic...ne-mm-thick-movement

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of batpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by at-home-daddy:
What's the consensus on Orient watches? If I'm correct, a brief bit of research indicates they're owned by Seiko, have Japanese movements, and are of decent value for the money.

I'd like to add a blue dial watch to my very modest collection, and this one in particular has caught my eye...a King Master:

Also looking at this one, though progressively less so than the King Master...less classic and retro than the above, a more modern, rugged look:

Usually I default to Seiko (love my Orange Monster and Sarb 017 Alpinist, and plan to pick up a SARB 033 in the next year or two), but for the blue dial watch I thought I'd try something different and Orient's watches continue to catch my eye when I browse on-line.

you might want to check out a Deep Blue as well:

http://www.deepbluewatches.com/

Posts: 2100 | Location: Seattle | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
You got me thinking about a blue-faced watch!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38601 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
batpot, thanks for the link. Nothing quite caught my eye, but some undeniably attractive watches there.

The more I think about and look at that above blue King Master, the closer I get to pulling the trigger on one. A little more research on it indicates it's a copy of an Orient watch from the '60s (with only a few minor modern changes, e.g. width of hands, font of numbers), hence that classic retro look that I find pretty appealing.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Rats! I broke the leather band on my Hamilton.

Hamilton wants $140 for a new one, and something like $200 for the metal bracelet. Eek

God bless America.

Posts: 13428 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Rats! I broke the leather band on my Hamilton.

Hamilton wants $140 for a new one, and something like $200 for the metal bracelet. Eek

Watch Prince, Amazon. Too many places have watch straps available to pay those prices.

RMD

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
http://www.crownandbuckle.com/

Many choices above.

For $140, you can get one custom made by a leatherworker. Don't pay that for a factory strap.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I've also gotten NATOs from www.cheapestnatostraps.com and they have some nice looking leather straps, as well.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
get one custom made by a leatherworker.

For sure. I'm thinking of contacting our own sureshot45 about repairing/replacing this broken leather strap.

I'd still like to have the metal bracelet, though. I'm partial to metal for its durability -- doesn't absorb sweat, grime, lake water, etc. For me, it's tough to make a watch with a leather or fabric band my "everyday" watch.

Thank you for the references, though. I'm going to check those out shortly.

God bless America.

Posts: 13428 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Time for something new. The Heuer Carrera 1964 Re-Edition is a modern non-vintage (late 1990s) interpretation of the Carrera 2447D. This copper dial with Daytona rings version was added to the re-edition lineup toward the end of the run and at least one website claims it is “the rarest of the the re-issues”. So far, I like it, but the brown strap has to give way to a black Horween leather.

Posts: 11357 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice, could post another picture or two?

Posts: 1546 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Time for something new. The Heuer Carrera 1964 Re-Edition is a modern non-vintage (late 1990s) interpretation of the Carrera 2447D. This copper dial with Daytona rings version was added to the re-edition lineup toward the end of the run and at least one website claims it is “the rarest of the the re-issues”. So far, I like it, but the brown strap has to give way to a black Horween leather.

WOW!

RMD