SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I just noticed the watch I linked to first is a women's watch. Here is the men's version.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A...oliid=I2QHQ213R9CDTR

Posts: 7521 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5: ...Now can someone please explain what an automatic is? I understand the term in the firearms world, but have no clue what it means in the watch world.

An automatic watch is a mechanical (spring powered, not battery powered) watch that has a self-winding mechanism. A rotating weight called a rotor spins (or rocks back and forth, depending on how much you move your arm) as you go about your daily activities, and that rotor winds the mainspring. If you wear your watch daily, and are moderately active, you may only need to hand wind it when you first get it. If you're less active, or don't wear it every day, it may stop running after a while and you'll need to set it and give it a little wind when you put it on, and the automatic mechanism will keep it wound to keep it accurate.

Some watch collectors store their automatic watches on watch winders that rock or spin the watches when they're not being worn, so they're always wound and ready to go.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket: And automatic watch is simply one that does not require a battery.

No, there are many mechanical watches that are spring powered but are not automatics. Automatic means self-winding.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5: Now can someone please explain what an automatic is? I understand the term in the firearms world, but have no clue what it means in the watch world.

Here's a video that goes over the basics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDKQ3q0sEbQ

Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5: ...I need a beater watch for work. I'm a welder/fabricator and I don't look to spend very much on that at all.

I'd suggest going for a good quartz watch. Good mechanical watches will cost more than a quartz, and then there's the upkeep.

A mechanical watch keeps time via a mechanism that moves back & forth and around & around 6, 8, or even more times per second. (The higher the beat rate, the more accurate the watch will be, all else being equal.) Like any machine that moves fast, it needs to be kept lubricated, and periodically will need to be disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled. That work needs to be done by a skilled watchmaker, and in the age of the quartz watch there are fewer and fewer watchmakers being trained and going into the business. (The school I went to was a two-year / eight-quarters program.) You can expect each service to cost anywhere from a hundred to several hundred dollars, and you'll need to do it every three to five years in most cases.

With a quartz watch, you replace the battery every few years and if it quits running after ten or fifteen years you toss it and get a new one for less than you would have spent servicing a mechanical watch. There are even quartz watches that don't use batteries but are solar powered, and some that are powered by your movement (kinetic watches) in a manner similar to an automatic. Kinetic watches don't need frequent servicing like purely mechanical watches do, because there aren't as many moving parts and the rotor spins slowly compared to a mechanical watch's escapement.

Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. After a little research and reading reviews I have eliminated the Victorinox I was looking at. Many were ordering these watches and getting the women's model and the described men's model looks the same to me. Now one more question.

Is it the general consensus here that Luminox has fallen off in quality?

Posts: 7521 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
But don't the trees
seem nice and full
Picture of Snailfan
posted Hide Post
I've really enjoyed wearing the Helm Vanuatu version 2 since picking it up a few weeks ago.

Posts: 1317 | Location: Near Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snailfan: I've really enjoyed wearing the Helm Vanuatu version 2 since picking it up a few weeks ago.

I like that watch a lot; Seiko movement and a simple, functional face.

I have a question for you: My BCD is black with red accents, my knife has red grips, I have a red Miflex hose from my 1st stage to my BCD...

Do you know if anyone makes red, or black & red, nylon straps that would work with a Vanuatu 2?

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
quote:
Originally posted by Snailfan: I've really enjoyed wearing the Helm Vanuatu version 2 since picking it up a few weeks ago.

I like that watch a lot; Seiko movement and a simple, functional face.

I have a question for you: My BCD is black with red accents, my knife has red grips, I have a red Miflex hose from my 1st stage to my BCD...

Do you know if anyone makes red, or black & red, nylon straps that would work with a Vanuatu 2?

https://toxicnatos.myshopify.com/

Try out Toxic NATO. They might have what you want. As a hoot, they ship in a biohazard baggie.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
I like the Seiko line as well for their value, utility, and general good function. They lack exclusivity, but at $300 most watches will unless you find a micro maker from Asia and that can be a bit of a risk.

Victorinox and Stuhrling are both fine lines, though I think one tends to pay a bit for their names as well as their hardware.

Good luck,

RMD

Thanks for your response. Seiko seems to be very popular with the membership. I need a beater watch for work. I'm a welder/fabricator and I don't look to spend very much on that at all. I have a dress watch my wife bought for me, but I'd also like a weekend watch. I've always wanted a Luminox but recent reviews here have me looking at other lines. For some reason this watch really caught my eye.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008...e93a50ad8ba2f42c9d_S

And of course this one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000...oliid=I20HVXLRBABS1O

Now can someone please explain what an automatic is? I understand the term in the firearms world, but have no clue what it means in the watch world.

And automatic watch is simply one that does not require a battery. Quartz means a battery operated movement.

Yellowhacket: The choice between those two comes down to basically quartz versus mechanical. Quartz will be slightly more accurate, but will require a battery change every so often. The mechanical MAY BE more fragile in terms of shock and damage, hard to know really.

Pick your poison and be happy. Both appear to be O.K. watches.

Good Luck,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snailfan:
I've really enjoyed wearing the Helm Vanuatu version 2 since picking it up a few weeks ago.

It looks really nice on that strap. Source of the strap?

Thanks,

RMD

Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Still no comment about Luminox? I'm really trying to talk myself into one.

Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor: [The Vanuatu 2] looks really nice on that strap. Source of the strap?

It comes with the watch. You get a metal bracelet AND a strap of your choice. They have all orange, black and orange, black and gray, and all black.

Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor: Try out Toxic NATO. They might have what you want.

Nope. No red, just orange.

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor: [The Vanuatu 2] looks really nice on that strap. Source of the strap?

It comes with the watch. You get a metal bracelet AND a strap of your choice. They have all orange, black and orange, black and gray, and all black.

Thanks. I bought mine off market and got the black one from the seller.

RMD

Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO: Do you know if anyone makes red, or black & red, nylon straps that would work with a Vanuatu 2?

I found what I was looking for:

http://www.dalucastraps.com/ba...d-stripe-pvd-buckle/

http://www.dalucastraps.com/ba...ap-red-matte-buckle/

Now I don't have an excuse for NOT buying a Vanuatu...other than being poor, that is.

But don't the trees
seem nice and full
Picture of Snailfan
posted Hide Post
Sorry BrianO and rduckwor, I'm dealing with power loss from the recent hurricane. Matt, the owner of Helm Watches is a top notch guy. Apparently he moved from NC to Asia in order to be close to the production efforts in order to improve upon product quality and consistency. The watch comes with a well built, thick bracelet, as well as your choice of their branded Zulu strap. I've had higher quality straps, Maratac for example, but it's not a bad one by any stretch. The contents are packaged in a really nice custom box with handwritten cards for serial #, pressure test results, etc. And the guy takes the time to written a personalized note.
If you don't mind nylon and velcro straps, check out Black Center Tactical . They make great belts, holsters, etc and have recently started making watch straps. I own 3 of their straps, and think they are great.
Happy to answer any questions, but may take a bit longer to respond over the next couple of days. And here are a couple more shots of my Vanuatu on different straps, Brian:

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO: Do you know if anyone makes red, or black & red, nylon straps that would work with a Vanuatu 2?

I found what I was looking for:

http://www.dalucastraps.com/ba...d-stripe-pvd-buckle/

http://www.dalucastraps.com/ba...ap-red-matte-buckle/

Now I don't have an excuse for NOT buying a Vanuatu...other than being poor, that is.

Posts: 1317 | Location: Near Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:

Luminox - +/-. Sort of the Kimber of watches.

Some times you get lucky and sometimes you get a lemon.

Dave Truong could tell what his return rate is like.

Maybe they have improved.

RMD

But don't the trees
seem nice and full
Picture of Snailfan
posted Hide Post
I forget the model number, but this is the Luminox that always intrigue me.

quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
quote:

Luminox - +/-. Sort of the Kimber of watches.

Some times you get lucky and sometimes you get a lemon.

Dave Truong could tell what his return rate is like.

Maybe they have improved.

RMD

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
That is fine looking.

RMD