SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The movement in that Shinola watch is quartz, made from Swiss parts but assembled in the USA. It is a decently designed movement, but nothing special. (There is nothing wrong with a quartz movement. The best of them are wonderful.) I have no idea how good Shinola is at putting them together. It is a bit of a dodge, as they make a big stink about it being a U.S. watch, and it sort of is, mostly, but sort of isn't.

You could get an equivalently featured watch, with a similar movement, from Seiko or Citizen for half that price, or perhaps even a third. The styling would be different, of course, but overall quality would be about the same.

There is a lot of marketing going on with Shinola watches.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Phooey! I broke the band on my Seiko!

It's an SNA139P1, and has been my nearly-every-day watch for more than 15 years. This watch has been just about everywhere I've been, and ticks right along.

(not my photo)

I got the band caught in a machine handle (due to my own clumsiness), breaking the first link (the one the pin goes through). I found markings on the old band (32N7-G-I), but I'm not having a lot of luck finding a replacement.

I've thought of the Zulu band but I'm not sure that's the right thing for me. Maybe I'm a little geeky about keeping things original. Roll Eyes

Other recommendations?

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
vthotky, can you replace the pin, or did a link break? Sounds like the whole link, but I wasn't sure.

Go to the SeikoUSA website. Buried in there is an email address for customer service. Send them an inquiry about the bracelet. You will get an answer, although I can't say whether they will have parts for your watch.

But I think that watch would look good on a Zulu strap. Or a leather Zulu strap. It has a classic oyster case, and those look good on sporty straps.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thank you, jhe.
The pin is intact; it's the link that's damaged. I'll head over to SeikoUSA in just a moment and look around.

A leather Zulu strap? Interesting! I'll have to go look at that. I like the leather strap on my Hamilton, even though I often prefer the bracelet.

I bought this watch after having a Seiko Kinetic. I loved the Kinetic (still have it) because it was heavy -- there was no doubt it was on my wrist. And then I found this titanium and loved it for its "lack of weight" -- it's a watch I can wear 24/7, while most others I take off as soon as I get home each day.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky: ...Other recommendations?

How much slack do you have in the bracelet; that's to say, is the clasp on the outer-most pin holes or in a few?

If it's in a few, and you still have a bit of wiggle room (which getting it caught on a handle suggests may be the case), you may be able to take out a link and juggle a few around to replace the broken one. It will be tighter than it was, but it may work as a last resort if you can't find a replacement link.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
But don't the trees
seem nice and full
Picture of Snailfan
posted Hide Post
Old watch, new strap: My favorite custom EDC belt/ kydex holster maker has started making velcro/nylon watch straps.

Posts: 1317 | Location: Near Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snailfan:
Old watch, new strap: My favorite custom EDC belt/ kydex holster maker has started making velcro/nylon watch straps.

Nice! Care to share the strap maker?

Posts: 708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brminpin:
quote:
Originally posted by Snailfan:

Nice! Care to share the strap maker?

+1

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
But don't the trees
seem nice and full
Picture of Snailfan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brminpin:

Nice! Care to share the strap maker?[/QUOTE]
Black Center Tactical. They have a easy to find website and an active Instagram account. Husband and wife team, both veterans.

Posts: 1317 | Location: Near Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
you may be able to take out a link and juggle a few around to replace the broken one.

Unfortunately, it's the first link (as you come off the case) that's broken.

quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Go to the SeikoUSA website

Thank you again, jhe. I called Seiko this morning and spoke to a pleasant lady named Michelle. The band for this watch has been discontinued, and the parts stock for that band has been depleted.

Looks like I'm off to learn about Zulu straps!

God bless America.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Here is one other option. Seiya-san sells Japanese market watches into the U.S. and Europe. He is in Tokyo, and can get Japanese market parts. Perhaps he would be willing to find out if Seiko Japan has your bracelet or a part.

http://www.seiyajapan.com/

Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky: Unfortunately, it's the first link (as you come off the case) that's broken.

Is it the first LINK or the filler piece? If it's a link, then I stand by my previous comment.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of leftnose
posted Hide Post

(sorry for the poor wrist shot but I'm not at home and it's gotten too late to get good light)

Travelling in Europe for business and I picked this one up today. I had been wanting to compare this black version with the blue LPP version and I got them both in hand today. Decided which I preferred, got a significantly better-than-US-list price so I pulled the trigger. I've actually wanted one of these for a long time but they just weren't "right" to me until this version was released earlier this year. Somewhat lucky timing, I guess, as the dealer told me he's had both watches in stock for less than 10 days.

Posts: 647 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful IWC. Always had a soft spot for IWC since my first high end was a flieger chronograph.

Posts: 708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Very cool, Leftnose. Smile

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
A fleiger is one that I might still be willing to spend some money on.

Nice IWC.

posted Hide Post
So, my wife is in charge of our county's bike to work week. In support of her efforts, I rode into work today. Here's a picture of my Marathon and my bike in my office. Smile

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Here is one other option. Seiya-san

Thank you again, jhe. I'll check into that.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
Is it the first LINK or the filler piece? If it's a link, then I stand by my previous comment.

It's the filler piece. (My apologies; I didn't know that piece had a different name. I learn something on SF nearly every day. Smile )

God bless America.

Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
I don't know if he can help but I suggest for any major jewelry purchase contact Sigforum's own David Truong. You will not have a better buying experience than through David. Here is another thread praising a transaction.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/4740031204

quote:
Originally posted by robbyfine:
I don't have any watch yet, but I am considering buying a Baume&Mercier watch from https://www.crownjewelryrepair.net/ website. I'm a watch novice and did some research. I hope, it will meet all my requirementsSmile Is anybody of you a happy owner of a Baume&Mercier watch?

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by robbyfine:
I don't have any watch yet, but I am considering buying a Baume&Mercier watch from https://www.crownjewelryrepair.net/ website. I'm a watch novice and did some research. I hope, it will meet all my requirementsSmile Is anybody of you a happy owner of a Baume&Mercier watch?

Baume and Mercier is a respectable watch company. They're probably best known for their dress watches. Is there a particular feature or model that you are after? We could probably make some additional suggestions for you to look at if you'd share a bit more with us.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post