SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:...I think I could use better lighting.

Everything you need to know for lighting metal and glass...as well as just about everything else...right here: http://www.amazon.com/Light-Sc...raphic/dp/0415719402

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:...I think I could use better lighting.

Everything you need to know for lighting metal and glass...as well as just about everything else...right here: http://www.amazon.com/Light-Sc...raphic/dp/0415719402

Thanks for the tip Brian! In my image you can see that I've actually already purchased an earlier edition back some time ago. I've invested a decent sum of $$ in the past acquiring a decent amount of gear. Pictured is my Canon 5D3 with the 24-105mm mounted as my walk-about lens and my 100mm Macro for taking some good close-ups. These days I'm just content with snapping off quick images with my iphone6 instead of dragging out the gear and lighting for shooting some images. I like the fact that immediately after shooting an image on the i6 it's imported to my macbook pro into iPhoto and Aperture and ready to tweak. The quick snap of my watch was just quickly thrown together by bending my desk lamp wit a paper towel over the lamp to diffuse it a bit and put the two pieces of plexiglass together to see what I could come up with after seeing 350zee's images taken with an i6 too. There just getting to be so convenient. In the past I've purchased several nice lenses and gear when I was a bit more serious about photography. However these days the stuff mainly sits because of the amount of time, energy, and commitment to use it...just getting older I guess. I'm very impressed with the new phones as the images are getting better and better and very portable for use. I suppose that some day in the distant future I may drag out the gear and lighting and take some more serious images but today, it's just for fun. Thanks again for the tip though, and great book to read!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym: ...Thanks for the tip Brian! In my image you can see that I've actually already purchased an earlier edition back some time ago.

Nice. You have the same edition of LS&M as I do. I love the 24-105L as a walkaround lens; mine is paired to a 6D. I also have a 70-200L. For my 7D I have a 17-55 f/2.8 IS, which isn't an L lens (due to being an EF-S) but is the next best thing. And of course I have a 50mm, in my case the 50mm f/1.4. I had a 35L but I sold it to pay some medical bills a few years ago and haven't replaced it yet. I don't have a macro lens, but you've inspired me to get one.

All my gear is packed away, but now that spring is near I need to get it out and put it to use.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 350zee
posted Hide Post
My black one came in yesterday Smile

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***My Idea Of Gun Control Is A Firm Grip!!!***-------***NRA Life Member***----------

Posts: 1311 | Location: Everett, WA. | Registered: December 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 350zee:
My black one came in yesterday Smile

I like it. I'll be needing a diver's watch soon, and since I already have a Seiko 5 for everyday wear I'll have to look into one of those.

Picture of leftnose
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Z06:
If you Google "Spectre NATO watch band" you should find a good selection and various prices. HTH

Slightly pedantic but you'll get better results if you google Bond NATO.

Really, that's a strap that was first seen in Goldfinger so it's really known as a Bond NATO even though it is included with the Spectre Seamaster.

http://rolexblog.blogspot.com/...hstrap-comes-to.html

Posts: 647 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I just spent 2 hours reading this thread. this Rolex is My first non battery powered watch that cost more than $100..

I specifically hunted for a 2 line no date sub 14060M the new subs look off to me. It's the last I the classic subs, and I couldn't afford a 5513 or 5512 at the time. Now I'm hoping if the stars align to acquire a polar explorer II 40mm. Income taxes, property taxes and annual bonuses all come together at the same time next month. Hopefully taxes are a wash and the bonus allows me to grab one. I have seen a few in my price range. I dig 5 digit reference rolexes with drilled lugs.

Posts: 4763 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
leftnose, you are 100% correct… and the Rolex blogspot is amazing with the research in Bond authenticity.

I was after a Bond-like NATO strap for my non-correct Bond-type Seamaster*. I did however want an OEM Omega NATO band with the “OMEGA” marked keeper and the OMEGA logo buckle. None of the online straps even came close, but of course they were A LOT LESS $$. So when I finally found a private party that had an OEM strap for sale at a much better price than the Omega Boutique MSRP I jumped on it.

I bought the Seamaster Professional Diver 300M for a lot less than the “correct” Spectre Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial: $4400 MSRP vs $7500.

Posts: 4028 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JD83
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
Well I just spent 2 hours reading this thread. this Rolex is My first non battery powered watch that cost more than $100..

I specifically hunted for a 2 line no date sub 14060M the new subs look off to me. It's the last I the classic subs, and I couldn't afford a 5513 or 5512 at the time. Now I'm hoping if the stars align to acquire a polar explorer II 40mm. Income taxes, property taxes and annual bonuses all come together at the same time next month. Hopefully taxes are a wash and the bonus allows me to grab one. I have seen a few in my price range. I dig 5 digit reference rolexes with drilled lugs.

We're completely on the same page regarding the 14060M(mine is a 4 line G serial). IMO, it's truly the last of a great line of classic Subs and the end of a Rolex era with the newer ceramic bezels. And good luck with the stars aligning!(Noticed you're in the Bay Area? When they align, get thee hence forthwith to H.Q. Milton)

Posts: 352 | Location: Blue Heaven  | Registered: April 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ha. Jacek ( of www.Hqmilton.com ) and I are on a first name basis. I've been to their shop in the mission, it's an easy trip on my lunch hour, I work downtown. That's a bad, bad place if you like Rolex and omega and some other top brands. Smile much of their in inventory is not online at any given moment it turns over so fast. When I was shopping for my watch I was given first dibs on several before they hit their website. I have also emailed him an "I'll take it" a few times and the piece was already sold. Good guys, their condition descriptions are legit and if you see something you like don't hesitate. Like shopping in the used gun rack... It probly won't be there when you change your mind and go back to buy.

quote:
Originally posted by JD83:
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:

We're completely on the same page regarding the 14060M(mine is a 4 line G serial). IMO, it's truly the last of a great line of classic Subs and the end of a Rolex era with the newer ceramic bezels. And good luck with the stars aligning!(Noticed you're in the Bay Area? When they align, get thee hence forthwith to H.Q. Milton)

Posts: 4763 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of leftnose
posted Hide Post
Slight change of pace for me as I normally wear watches on the sport/tool end of the spectrum but I'm a sucker for blue dials.

Posts: 647 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
leftnose - Very nice watch

Posts: 1548 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
^+1. VERY nice.

Posts: 4028 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That Orient is pretty. How big is the case?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of leftnose
posted Hide Post
40.5mm w/o the crown. I have a 7-7/8" wrist so I make most watches look small.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I think 40mm is wearable. My wrist is even a little bigger than yours, so I can wear a big watch. I'd probably have to replace the strap, though. Standard straps never fit me.

But I am not a fan of some of the really huge watches - 44mm and over.

That one looks good.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of leftnose
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I own watches from 36-46mm. For me, 40-42 is the sweet spot. The Orient wears large because it's all dial.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leftnose:
I'm a sucker for blue dials.

Me too! This just announced this morning at Baselworld.

https://live.hodinkee.com/e/ba...72ab7038&type=images

Posts: 11380 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bodyarmorguy:

Beautiful guns in all your posts. You have great taste.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the new versions of the 556 that Sinn is going to make. Much better looking dial with applied indices. I'm thinking about putting a deposit down on a limited edition if there are any left this time next week. The anthracite dial is limited to 1,000 pieces. The mocha dial is supposed to be regular production.

http://www.watchbuys.com/store...on-Strap-10p2802.htm

http://wornandwound.com/2016/0...-at-baselworld-2016/

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post