SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsd1220:
I'm waiting for this Citizen Avion pilot to be delivered. Looks not bad for only $140.

Have you received it yet? Is the crystal flat, or domed?

God bless America.

Posts: 13497 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leeann: I am left-handed so, well...

Me too; or, as I like to tell people, I'm sinister, but I'm in my right mind.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:
Union Glashutte, Julius Bergter edition

Love the blued hands

I love blued hands! My Ulysses Nardin (sold) also sported blued hands.

__Phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range__

Posts: 1113 | Location: Pangea | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
I'm waiting for this Citizen Avion pilot to be delivered. Looks not bad for only $140.

Have you received it yet? Is the crystal flat, or domed?

Some dude in a brown truck is scheduled to deliver it sometime today. I'll get some pics up tonight.

Posts: 1113 | Location: Pangea | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
quote:

Interesting dial design. The raised ring would reduce parallax error when looking at the watch at an angle, although I would have made the seconds hand and the minutes hand longer.

Wow, never even realized the hands seemed kinda short. This watch is the first in a succession of pilots. Next will be either an Archimede or Stowa pilot, followed by the GO Navigator.

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I also love blue hands. This is the first "real" watch I ever bought back when I was 21. It's a Coach Tank Chrono by Movado (back when Movado made decent watches.) Sadly the battery is dead and the sapphire is cracked. I haven't worn it in 5 years or more but I will never get rid of it.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78: ...Sadly the battery is dead and the sapphire is cracked. I haven't worn it in 5 years or more but I will never get rid of it.

Okay, replacing the crystal is a bit of a task, but why haven't you changed the battery? I hope you at least took the dead one out so it doesn't corrode the movement.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Yes the old one is out. I haven't changed it just because I will likely not wear it. Plus the crystal broke when I let an idiot at a jewelry store change the battery.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78: ...the crystal broke when I let an idiot at a jewelry store change the battery.

Eek I would have made them replace the crystal!

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78: ...the crystal broke when I let an idiot at a jewelry store change the battery.

^ absolutely this.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TAP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snailfan:
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
...I got the second one! Smile And I'm very happy to say this purchase was all I'd hoped it would be! r0gue is great to deal with and he included a special extra item which is pictured here. Thanks again, r0gue!!!
[/url]

Very nice 6guns! I've got to get one of those waxed cotton straps soon. I just purchased this mesh bracelet for mine, but I don't like it. I'm going to stick with the Nato and Zulu type straps like in the second pic.

Just fyi for those here who like the SR-3, the maker is now selling it with the metal bracelet, which usually costs $89, for free.

Posts: 831 | Location: Portland, OR. | Registered: October 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
The crystal is just slightly domed. You'd have to put a straight edge on top to see the curvature. I was expecting it to be the same size as the Aqualand, but it's a little bigger.

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leeann:
quote:
quote:

^ absolutely this.

Unfortunately there was no way for me to prove it. The watch had been sitting for years and I noticed the battery was dead and I took it in. I didn't look carefully at the watch before hand and I can't say with 100% certainty that it wasn't cracked before then or that they just made it worse. It's in the corner so it's hard to notice unless you know what your looking for.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
The crystal is just slightly domed. You'd have to put a straight edge on top to see the curvature. I was expecting it to be the same size as the Aqualand, but it's a little bigger.

Thank you!

I have a Citizen watch here that I really like [for its simplicity], but the crystal is just plain flat. What that means for me is that in my work environment, there's an endless supply of glare coming off of that watch. I have to turn my arm (and sometimes the rest of me) just right to get a good look at what time it is. That stinks. For that reason, domed crystals seem to work better for me in general.

God bless America.

Posts: 13497 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Still think my Rangeman is my SHTF watch but this runs a close second. G SHOCK GULFMASTER. They have come down in price since they first debuted.

My picture does not do justice to the blue bezel and hands.

Posts: 3572 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Just warmin' up the thread. I've got one inbound. Received a few pics from the AD last night, as this just arrived from Japan. I've admired Grand Seiko for a while, but this recent limited edition from their "Historical Collection" really called to me.

More Pics on Tuesday (if my wife doesn't grab it and wrap it first). She's averaging about 15 minutes from UPS driver to gift pile. Somewhere in that pile of gifts is a furnace filter. "Not everything from UPS is a Christmas Gift honey!"

Posts: 11385 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Engraving is
scratching
on purpose
Picture of mm6mm6
posted Hide Post
I just added a SUB 1200T Searambler (silver) to my Doxa collection. I can't take it off my wrist! I really like the orange minute hand matching the orange US Navy dive table numbers on the bezel.

Posts: 985 | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Sweet! I've never seen that watch with a silver dial. I like it.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
This JUST in! The Limited Edition Grand Seiko Historical Collection 62GS SBGR095. This watch absolutely caught my eye the first time I saw it. From Grand Seiko’s Historical Collection, it is a tribute to their first automatic watch made in 1967. I really like the way they tucked the crown away to suggest that since it is an “automatic watch” it may would seldom need winding or set.

I only have a few photos so far. In this photo I’ve added a vintage patina as a nod to the original 1967 model.

The dial has a crisp sunburst effect in striation. The lugs are thin and tapered. A sharp looking GS. All business for my new “go-to” work watch.

My last GS photo (for now, hehe) illustrates an aspect that was a delightful surprise to me. The face of the crown has a cone shape that had never really registered to me until I received the watch yesterday. I love it!

posted Hide Post
I didn't even know about Grand Seikos until a couple of years ago, but now there's no other watch I want more than a GS!

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post