SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjus...f:g:P1kAAOSwk2lfq8tR

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34105 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I won something "new" on E-Bay.
It's coming from Belarus!

Now to find an appropriate bracelet for it...
Big Grin

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I think this is what they’re talking about. It ain’t a million bucks, but it might as well be for my purposes:

https://www.jewelerssupplies.c...on-6825-460.016.html

Yep, that's the one. Fine tool if you work for Patek Phillippe or change about 100 spring bars a day. For the rest of us in the unwashed masses, a regular spring bar tool just has to get the job done.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
I read a thread on a site where someone suggested using the tip of a chopstick to compress the spring bar end.

Chop sticks make excellent peg wood. They are usually bamboo and don't splinter and leave crap in the jewels when you peg them.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
The 2020 Tokyo Olympics Seamaster that’s being released is seriously calling my name for all kinds of reasons, but mostly for how clean and conservative it looks. It doesn’t scream commemorative model. I never decided which colorway I wanted to go with for my Seamaster, but there’s nothing not to like here, in my opinion.

Posts: 17110 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
That sounds about right. Now you know why Helm watches are so sought after. We covet that which we cannot easily obtain. When I first learned of the brand while watching micro brand watch reviews on YouTube the reviewer said something like “and this next brand is just fantastic but if you want one you’re going to have to be patient and lucky or pay over MSRP to buy one used.”

It is possible Helm will offer another preorder window. They did this a few times while I was waiting a looooooooooong time for my Vanuatu.

I do think Helm watches are worth the wait. My expectations were set pretty damn high and Helm still managed to exceed them. When it comes to tool watches built to take a beating Helm has to be considered one of the absolute best bang for you buck watches on the market.

I too am on a wait list for the Vanuatu. As with most things, depends on the intersection of 'how bad do you want it' and 'how much cash you got.'. We're not talking a 5 figure Rolex. If you gotta have one, they fairly easily found for around $400. If you don't want to pay that amount, you get on the waiting list and patiently wait your turn. I like them, and if/when my number comes up, I'll probably buy one from Helm at their price. But otherwise, the two autos I have check that box. My Maratac SR9015 did get a little fresh air this weekend. But mostly I was swapping quartz watches...grab and go.

The other brand catching my eye is Zelos...some pretty nice watches in their lineup at the price point.

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That’s a gorgeous Seamaster! There is another version of the Japan Olympics Seamaster that was red and white (it was released last year before the Olympics were postponed) and it is VERY nice looking too. I REALLY like this new version. How much of a premium are they asking for the 2020/21 Olympic edition?

Boss1, Zelos is a fantastic micro brand. Their founder Elshan Tang is one of the nicest people in this business. He stands behind his products 100%. Here is a neat article on Elshan and how he started his company. Article on Zelos watches

I’m so glad I scooped up a full lume Zelos Horizons GMT before they sold out. Some of the more desirable and rare Zelos watches have been appreciating in value quite nicely!

The 2893-2 movement in this watch is averaging +1 second a day.

This was me in 2020. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Stickman, its $5,600, so $400 more than the standard colorways on bracelet. Doesn’t seem too bad to me. I was getting to the point where I couldn’t decide between the white dial for practicality or the grey dial for the blue appointments. This splits the difference very nicely, and comes off as less stark than the regular white dial, at least to me.

https://www.omegawatches.com/e...42-mm-52230422004001

They’re also releasing a blacked out ceramic Seamaster this summer as well that’s pretty different from their usual fare. $8,650 puts it well outside my ballpark, through. Not like $5,600 isn’t a far reach....

Posts: 17110 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Whoa. I love all black watches. It’s about time Omega offered a stealthy Seamaster. I would love to get one of those and eventually have a watchmaker put those beautiful blue Seamaster hands on it. I bet the price drops like a rock on em after a year or so unless Omega makes it some sort of limited edition.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I thought you’d like that. The case, bezel, crown, and HEV are all ceramic as well. Case is 43.5mm and 21mm lugs, so a hair bigger than the standard line.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
This is the one I really like.

The Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Tokyo 2020 Limited Edition.

Link to 2020 Olympic Omega

39.5mm too

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that’s an attractive watch. It’s based on the Japanese flag, and I really like the little red rising sun second hand pip. 39.5mm is a nice size for a Planet Ocean, which normally seems like a pretty chunky watch to me.

This one really has my attention. According to this video, it’s not a limited edition, though I don’t imagine they’ll make them for long. Time to get off my ass and start liquidating some things to snag one.

https://youtu.be/pj4VPK4z6mU

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It’s a gorgeous watch for sure. I think it bridges my two favorite Seamaster watches, the white dial with blue hand color way and the unofficial James Bond silver dial with the blue ceramic bezel. White dials go with almost anything. Have you seen the 2022 olympic special edition ? It looks like a Yachtmaster.

I’ve been mighty tempted to get a silver dial Seamaster but I think I’m actually going to track down a new Sinn 206 ARKTIS II first.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ve been mighty tempted to get a silver dial Seamaster...

I thought you had one? In person, that was the one that absolutely grabbed me, to the point of completely ignoring the others. They didn’t have a white dial for me to check out, but I think that silver dial version is my favorite. Only thing is I worry about it looking to flashy for what will probably be my one and only “luxury” watch, and the idea of foregoing a watch that pricy to wear my Glycine with most clothes is a sticking point for me.

I looked at the 2022 Olympic model, and I think it’s nice, but don’t care for the Olympic colors on the indices, it’s for Beijing, so... no. Lol. But I REALLY like the 2020 model above. It really calls to me.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Have you handled any of the earlier Seamasters? They are quite a bit thinner but lack that amazing movement and display case back.

My silver dial Seamaster is a super clone, the Seamaster Professional I have with a blue dial is the real deal.

Oh man. Mido is tempting the hell out of me with their newer 600m chronometer diver. It has the caliber 80 Si movement too which is just crazy accurate. It has a locking bezel which has to be pushed down before it will turn. Mido doesn’t get a lot of love on watch forums but in my opinion they are every bit as good as Hamilton or Tissot if not better in regard to aesthetic design.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you handled any of the earlier Seamasters? They are quite a bit thinner but lack that amazing movement and display case back.

Yeah, a friend of mine has one. It’s been his daily for about fifteen years. He loves it and doesn’t want to mess with anything else. I handled it once and it was really nice. I think as much as I like the classic look of the older models, the 2018 revision is more visually appealing to me, and with everything beneath the dial being what it is, it’s a great package.

quote:
My silver dial Seamaster is a super clone, the Seamaster Professional I have with a blue dial is the real deal.

Gotcha. Yeah, that silver dial in person is a total stunner. If $5,600 starts to look like a bridge too far for the Olympic model, I think I might “settle” for that variant and be done with it. I keep trying to be sensible and convince myself that a black or white dial is more practical, but for something like this, I think I need to really enjoy looking at it rather than trying to convince myself that it needs to be practical or sensible. By definition, a $5,000 watch is not those things.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
It's nowhere near the Seamaster neighborhood, but I'm loving my Samurai today. Cool

(Yeah, I know I didn't line up the bezel for the pic....) Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Nice! The Samurai is a great watch. It’s hard to beat a Seiko diver, they can take some abuse. I thought I was mostly done with Seiko but that anniversary Willard with its blue dial is tempting.

I’d love to find a way to mod one of my Samurai watches to add a day window. The waffle dial you have is one of the best looking dials.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
There is a very good chance one of these will be my next watch.

I’m REALLY leaning towards this first one pictured though the Sinn 144 is also mighty tempting....they all are. Big Grin

If I went this route I’d probably get the Lefty.

Not often that the Ball watch is the most affordable choice.

I put a nice ding in the fixed bezel on my Le Jour MKI at around 8 o’clock. Oh well, it has some character. As often as I wear this watch I suppose it was inevitable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
It's nowhere near the Seamaster neighborhood, but I'm loving my Samurai today. Cool

(Yeah, I know I didn't line up the bezel for the pic....) Wink

Hey vthoky, I just logged in to see we're both wearing the same watch today Smile. Except I've got mine on a brown Hirsch Tiger strap... and, I aligned the bezel Big Grin .

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post