SIGforum
A revival of the Watch thread

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9666031561/m/6290029643

April 12, 2021, 02:27 PM
rduckwor
A revival of the Watch thread
I had a Doxa Sea Rambler for about three months several years ago. We just didn't bond. Decent enough, but massively over priced for a diver.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.
April 12, 2021, 10:46 PM
eTripper

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch
April 13, 2021, 06:28 AM
stickman428
That’s a fantastic looking eco-drive. I wish Citizen would offer a few more Automatic variants. Eco drive is a neat design, it actually sparked my love/obsession with watches and led me down this expensive and unending quest to find the perfect watch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance
April 13, 2021, 01:29 PM
hray
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Any of you guys tried Doxa yet? Experience, opinions, impressions etc?...

I have a few all bought new pre order and got one for the wife NOS sea nymph when they found some old cases in a safe some where (Marie Era). I do like watches specifically divers but am not that versed to compare quality with other brands. When I got promoted to Lt. with the FD in 2004 I wanted a nice automatic divers watch and the wife said go for it. Since made Captain and been in the DROP for a couple of months now. Anyways what swayed me to Doxa was there History and as a teen I remember seeing them in a catalog with Jacques Cousteau (US Divers) and always wanted one then but that wasn't happening. So I got one, the 5000T COSC sharky, Then a 1000T pro COSC, A Sea Nymph for the wife, a 1200T sea rambler to match hers and because they hadn't produced any since the 750T, and finally the 300T Poseidon. This happened over 15 years or so. I have had vary little troubles with them. Did break a main spring on my 5000T. But I will add that I use them as a tool and wear them on the job on shift so each of them has plenty of patina/wabi. Other than the the 1200T sea rambler they are limited runs of the parent case. IE COSC versions and the Poseidon. I have no plans on selling them as I have 3 Kids 23 y/o son,21 y/o daughter,& 13 y/o daughter. When the 2 oldest get hired by there carrier jobs I will give the 5000T COSC 2 my son, let my oldiest daughter Pick one then the youngest can pick between the 2 remaining.

Doxa is under new management and from what I have read they do plan on having some retail stores so you can see them in person. Any questions I'll do my best to answer. Hray

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hray,

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP
April 13, 2021, 01:42 PM
hray
^^^^ To add to my story when I leave the DROP I might get a Rolex as I always wanted one of those too. Should have bought the rolex Sub when I was in the navy. Don't care for the cyclopes magnifier so it will be a plain sub or the deep sea variant maybe an older one. Will see. Hray

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP
April 13, 2021, 01:47 PM
stickman428
From everything I’ve read Doxa makes robust, quality dive watches. I’ve been tempted a few times but haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

I like the idea of whittling down my collection substantially. If I could ever get down to about a dozen watches a Doxa 300T with either an Orange, yellow or Aquamarine color dial and beads of rice bracelet would definitely make the list.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

April 13, 2021, 04:32 PM
ScreamingCockatoo
WOW I LOVE those beads of rice bracelets!

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.
April 13, 2021, 05:16 PM
r0gue
Thanks hray! Those look awesome. I've been eyeing the 300. It's not the first time they've called to me. Thus far I've aways found a way to resist, but I'm not sure I want to resist any longer. I love an Orange watch!

April 13, 2021, 06:16 PM
hray
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Thanks hray! Those look awesome. I've been eyeing the 300. It's not the first time they've called to me. Thus far I've aways found a way to resist, but I'm not sure I want to resist any longer. I love an Orange watch!

The 1000T Pro (orange) has probably seen the most action out of them. That's the only one that doesn't have an HRV. They all ride well on my wrist but the 1000T sits flatter if you will. Of the 3 with an HRV the 5000t is more appealing to the eye. It looks more finished if you will. I think Doxa should have stuck with 5000T HRV design than current. I don't believe the 300 has an HRV but does have a boxed or raised crystal. The 300T use to have a HRV( not sure if current ones do) and it's not a flat crystal but it doesn't stick up like the 300. I enjoy them and I think they are unique with the cushing case an beads of rice.

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP
April 13, 2021, 07:20 PM
stickman428
Do you guys view a helium release valve as a good thing? I understand why dive watches have them but the vast majority of people (divers included) will never need or use a HRV.

In the Omega groups I used to follow one of the long running jokes was whenever a noob asked about the Seamaster’s helium escape valve and why the watch had an extra crown at the 10 o’clock position it would play out a little like this:

Noob- “hey thanks for adding me to this group, I’m loving my new Seamaster but I have a quick question, why is there an extra crown at the 10 o’clock position? What does it do?”

Sarcastic peanut gallery- “that’s a helium release valve, it’s job is to mess up the aesthetics of the watch and add another intrusion point for water to potentially enter the watch.”

Big Grin

Personally I disagree with those who think the helium escape valve on the Seamaster messes up the aesthetics, it doesn’t bother m other than the fact that I’ll never use it and it potentially adds another part that can fail.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

April 13, 2021, 07:47 PM
r0gue
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Do you guys view a helium release valve as a good thing?

Watches are silly thing that guys like, that have ever so slightly, a useful function. I think HRVs are neat. Which aligns closely to the intended purpose of the watch in general for me. Which is, being "neat". If one wants an aesthetically pleasing watch, nearly every $200-$500 Seiko dress watch beats nearly any Omega diver, and most have enough water resistance to do what nearly ever watch owner does involving water. Wash hands. Shower. swim in water submerged to waist depth.

April 13, 2021, 07:48 PM
P220 Smudge
It's a pretty divisive issue from what I've seen in my researching those watches. I understand that people hate them, especially on the Seamaster, but it honestly doesn't bother me. It's just part of the look of that watch by now. I found a mock up, and I'm sure some folks here will prefer the way it looks. For myself, I'm so used to seeing it that it looks wrong without it. Seems unbalanced.

April 13, 2021, 07:53 PM
Green Highlander
Anybody have any thoughts on the Bulova Lunar Pilot? I have been tempted by it since the Speedmaster is not in the budget. Honestly, if I’m dropping that much on a watch, the Speedy isn’t my first choice. Back to the Bulova; I am concerned about the 45mm size and only the 20mm strap. Also I don’t like that the holes for the strap and bracelet models are in different places so they are compatible across the range. Appreciate any feedback.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")
April 13, 2021, 08:14 PM
stickman428
I had a Bulova Lunar Pilot for a bit. It was a pretty cool watch. Mine was incredibly accurate. It’s hard for me to bond with a quartz watch but one nice thing about my Lunar Pilot was that it was noticeably more accurate than many of my other quartz watches. Sure, with quartz they are all pretty darn accurate but my Bulova was just incredible. The only quartz I own that is more accurate are my eco-drives and only because they automatically sync with atomic time every day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

April 13, 2021, 08:21 PM
stickman428
P220 Smudge,

Ok, yeah it looks different but I’d buy mine without the HRV if Omega offered it on the versions I like (I am aware there are already a few Seamaster variations without the HRV).

While it might look unbalanced ditching the HRV also eliminates the possibility of this from ever happening. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

April 13, 2021, 08:22 PM
P220 Smudge
I tried a Bulova Lunar Pilot on a few weeks ago, and it looked and felt a bit oddly proportioned to me. Not enough to not want one, mind you, but it's not high on my hit list at this time.

Stickman, yeah that sucks lol.

April 13, 2021, 09:07 PM
6guns
quote:
Seems unbalanced.

Agreed.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>
April 14, 2021, 01:07 AM
Boss1
quote:
Boss1, You sir might have made me just go full circle with watches and return back to girl that took me to the dance (G-shock/Casio). That Gulfmaster is AWESOME! I think I might have to buy one of those, especially since it has many of the functions I love on my current G-Shock with the addition of solar.

My first watch I actually got exited about was a G-Shock rescue in bright red, I wished for a long time that I could find a similar model with their tough solar that had moon and tide phase. Well now that has happened. Cool

[/url]

Yeah, the Gulfmaster has been getting a good bit of wrist time the past few days. Between it and the PRW2500, I'm kinda like 'Do you really need these other watches?' (Well...yeah!).

That being said, it's really nice to pick up a watch, put it on, and have it be spot on for time, and know there's basically no maintenance for the next decade or longer. GShocks are pretty hard to beat for real world users. I did order/add a screen protectors to the Gulfmaster and ProTrek. Just that last little bit of protection.

Funny, you mention...I have the black solar Rescue...had it for a year+ and never worn it...kind of in 'reserve' if I decide retire/replace my current work watch, the excellent Casio ws210h.

https://www.casio.com/products...es/g-shock/gw7900b-1

Cheers,
Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.
April 14, 2021, 09:04 AM
rduckwor
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
WOW I LOVE those beads of rice bracelets!

I seem to recall mine was a hair puller. One of the failure to bond reasons.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
April 14, 2021, 09:06 AM
rduckwor
quote:
I had a Bulova Lunar Pilot for a bit. It was a pretty cool watch. Mine was incredibly accurate.

I too had one and it was very accurate. I am not happy that the "new" Bulova uses the Accutron logo on a standard quartz watch, but I am now officially a crusty old SOB.

RMD