SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:
Originally posted by Snapping Twig:
So much controversy about the 32xx movements.

I'm unfamiliar with the controversy over the 32xx movements. Please share, or share a link or two. I am familiar with the move to 41mm in some models (though some claim it is less than even one full millimeter), and the inevitable buzz that caused.

Rotor issue not withstanding, there's an issue with amplitude.

They start off strong, but over the course of a year or two, the amplitude declines. With this, the watch slows down.

Some say it is a design issue, others say it's related to lubrication and yet others maintain it is a combination whereby the lack of lubrication in the particular area is not needed in the 31xx series and lube to correct this is a stop gap measure until the design correction can be implemented.

In any event, it is most pronounced as the barrel winds down, making the movement accurate until the power reserve unwinds to @ 50%.

Not all 32xx have this issue, but it is all the buzz on TRF among others.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snapping Twig:
...there's an issue with amplitude. They start off strong, but over the course of a year or two, the amplitude declines. With this, the watch slows down.

Some say it is a design issue, others say it's related to lubrication and yet others maintain it is a combination whereby the lack of lubrication in the particular area is not needed in the 31xx series and lube to correct this is a stop gap measure until the design correction can be implemented.

In any event, it is most pronounced as the barrel winds down, making the movement accurate until the power reserve unwinds to @ 50%.

Not all 32xx have this issue, but it is all the buzz on TRF among others.

Interesting. Time will tell I suppose. Wink At first whiff, I'm inclined to suppose that this is internet egg-headery on the watch forums. If any company would have tested the bejeezus out of a new movement, it would have been Rolex. They don't strike me as a brand that would shave $20 a unit in production for profits sake. They play the long game.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
My newest addition... I’ve been on the lookout for a nice, first generation, Planet Ocean for a while. Wanted the 42mm, which is not nearly so bulky as the 45mm version, especially in thickness (14.5 vs 18.9mm). Finally found one in with all the papers and boxes, for a decent price. Other than a couple, very faint, light marks on the bezel, it’s pretty much mint. My wife normally doesn’t say much about my watches, but this one really caught her eye and she digs it! Makes it all worthwhile Razz

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1308 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

That's sharp!

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Tooky13,

Another excellent Omega! I much prefer them to those of Rolex.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Tooky, that's a stunner! Enjoy it in good health.

I'm with Bald1, Rolex undoubtedly makes a fine watch, but Omega's offerings tend to really catch my eye.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is an attractive watch, to be sure.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snapping Twig: there's an issue with amplitude. They start off strong, but over the course of a year or two, the amplitude declines. With this, the watch slows down.

A decrease in amplitude should not cause a watch to slow down; if anything, it would cause a watch to speed up (Less distance traveled means a change in direction sooner.), but isochronism is theoretically independent of amplitude. You can test this yourself by getting or making two pendulums of equal length and identical weight, and start them swinging at exactly the same time but from different starting points on their arcs. (Or use one pendulum and do two tests.) Measure the time taken to make 10 passes, and you should see the same time on each.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tooky13:
My newest addition... I’ve been on the lookout for a nice, first generation, Planet Ocean for a while. Wanted the 42mm, which is not nearly so bulky as the 45mm version, especially in thickness (14.5 vs 18.9mm). Finally found one in with all the papers and boxes, for a decent price. Other than a couple, very faint, light marks on the bezel, it’s pretty much mint. My wife normally doesn’t say much about my watches, but this one really caught her eye and she digs it! Makes it all worthwhile Razz

That's a fantastic watch. I love orange on a watch. The condition looks superb. Wear it and enjoy it. You can always source a new bezel insert if you bang it up.

I've owned a few Omegas throughout the years, but only one Seamaster.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Managed to shake four loose from my collection recently. From eight late last year, now down to four. I like to keep a little control on the madness. So I was feeling pretty satisfied.

But the phone rang, and one snuck back in.

It would be hard to resist a no-date Sub. The case is improved, too. Nice choice.

Edit - are the hour markings a more reasonable size now? They look smaller than they were for a while.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've owned a few Omegas throughout the years, but only one Seamaster.

Wow, that’s an oldie but goodie r0gue, very cool!

My first “nice” watch was a Seamaster that I bought new in 1971. It's the Electronic f 300 Hz that they only made for a few years. Still have it... hard to believe it’s 50 years old. About 10 years ago the date started sticking on the 24th, so I have to nudge it to the 25th each month. I sent it in to Omega for service and they quickly sent it back, saying they don’t carry parts for them anymore. It still runs and keeps good time, despite never having been serviced, only needing a battery every few years. Nice to keep around for sentimental reasons.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tooky13,

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1308 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
COOL! Can you hear it humming?

Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oh yeah, but you have to hold it to your ear. The sweep second hand is dead smooth, next to it, an automatic looks like a quartz Big Grin.

Abraham Lincoln

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Oh yeah, but you have to hold it to your ear. The sweep second hand is dead smooth, next to it, an automatic looks like a quartz Big Grin.

Totally agree! I had an old Accutron that warmed your heart with the hum.

Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
I just happened to notice that this thread has more than 1,300,000 views! I think the only other thread with more (x3) is Para's "You Will Buy a Glock". Pretty amazing... jhe888, you deserve the credit Smile.

Abraham Lincoln

Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
^^^and I own watches but don't own a Glock Smile

Posts: 3718 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys: ^^^and I own watches but don't own a Glock Smile

I would have said the same thing...until yesterday.

Yes, I have been seduced by the dark side. I sold my SIG SP2022 and now own a Glock G45. I guess I'll have to see if there's a forum called "GlockForum" or something.

But I still like watches, so there is that.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just happened to notice that this thread has more than 1,300,000 views! I think the only other thread with more (x3) is Para's "You Will Buy a Glock". Pretty amazing... jhe888, you deserve the credit Smile.

Enough of the cat pictures got 'em both beat! Cat pictures

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Cats trump all!

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I sent it in to Omega for service and they quickly sent it back, saying they don’t carry parts for them anymore.

I ran into a similar issue with my 1965 Constellation PiePan (ST168-004). When I had the Cal 561 serviced a few years back, I was advised that the crown with stem's integral O-ring (which provides a dust seal and 3 BAR water resistance) had disintegrated. No original replacements with the Omega ῼ logo on the crown existed anymore.

So I had a choice to keep it original without a functional seal or use an aftermarket crown/stem that had no Omega ῼ. I opted to keep this dress watch original.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post