SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
srpd95

Nice pick!

As metal bands (bracelets) go, I'd point you to Strapcode. I'm happy with the Strapcode Super-O Boyer 316L that I picked up for the SKX007 a couple of weeks ago.

God bless America.

Posts: 13497 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
+1 on Strapcode. Many of my favorite Seiko divers are on Strapcode bracelets.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildheartedson0105:
Most of my bands are from Barton. Great bang for the buck.

I ordered two last week when they went on flash sale for $17 a set. Black and gray elite silicone. Very comfortable, and I like the quick change feature. I think I'll try out a sailcloth or two piece NATO set next.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
Thank you, vthoky! Kinda funny, I went out to get socks (I swear), and on the way to check out was drawn by some mysterious force, to the jewelry counters. Socks, man. Just socks.

But, I did promise to myself to not spend my Christmas bonus on things like bills. Have a Seiko auto field watch and a couple knives inbound. Big Grin

stickman428, I can only imagine the amount of money you've dropped on bracelets for your Seiko divers!

P220 Smudge, glad you like the Barton silicone straps. They really are very comfortable! I think you'll like their sailcloth offerings.

Pickle Rick, the Engineer bracelet is really sharp, but it looks like there isn't one available with curved end links for my watch.

Thanks for the recommendations for Strapcode! They seem much more legit than most other websites that offered bracelets from $20-$120+. One last question. Is any particular clasp better/worse/difficult? I see the Boyer that vthoky likes is offered with SUB clasp, V clasp or ratchet buckle.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Gotta show this one off this morning: a Casio Edifice -- with a ridiculously comfortable Barton band -- from my pal in Wisconsin. Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13497 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Gotta show this one off this morning: a Casio Edifice

I love this white faced watch with orange second hand and WR rating (EFV-100L-7AVUEF) that looks a lot like an Omega Aqua Terra. Smile

Here's mine on a parachute strap. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16210 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
This happened today!

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Managed to shake four loose from my collection recently. From eight late last year, now down to four. I like to keep a little control on the madness. So I was feeling pretty satisfied.

But the phone rang, and one snuck back in.

Posts: 11385 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Is your crown down tight?

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Is your crown down tight?

Yeah. Just the angle of the shot I guess. This is the latest version with the newly trimmed lugs. I have some NATOs on order for it. 21mm!

Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
So much controversy about the 32xx movements.

Let us know your experiences over time.

This new series of subs have a more classic look, I like them. Smile

I looked up my 16800 and found the case is 39mm.

Who knew?

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
This happened today!

That looks excellent with the white dial. Congrats and enjoy!

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Managed to shake four loose from my collection recently. From eight late last year, now down to four. I like to keep a little control on the madness. So I was feeling pretty satisfied.

But the phone rang, and one snuck back in.

Every time you try to get out, they drag you back in!!!

Congrats, my Friend. That is a beauty.

Posts: 140 | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snapping Twig:
So much controversy about the 32xx movements.

I'm unfamiliar with the controversy over the 32xx movements. Please share, or share a link or two. I am familiar with the move to 41mm in some models (though some claim it is less than even one full millimeter), and the inevitable buzz that caused.

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm unfamiliar with the controversy over the 32xx movements. Please share, or share a link or two. I am familiar with the move to 41mm in some models (though some claim it is less than even one full millimeter), and the inevitable buzz that caused.

The 3235 series now has a ball bearing rotor instead of the jewel bushing. You can hear the rotor now. Also all the decoration is gone. It's pretty much sterile inside and looks very much like the Tudor movement.

The movements are now designed around high production.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
Well I pulled the trigger yesterday.

My Submariner would not completely wind up using the crown and would not wind up at all just by wrist movement.

She was "retired" for the past 6 months and I wore my Omega or my Orient.

I went to the local Rolex dealer from where I originally bought the watch and the full service package was $950. So off to Mother Rolex she goes.

I did ask about the polishing some of you have posted about, and the rep told me if it was a vintage/more valuable time piece, then "yes" he would tell them not to polish the watch. However since mine was a "regular" Submariner, don't worry about it.

The turn around time is 8 to 10 weeks in case you are curious.

My local Rolex dealer called me with an update yesterday...

When I dropped it off the agreed service was "all in" at $950. They would call if Mother Rolex advised them of unforeseen repairs and thus it would exceed $950.

I about pooped my pants when she told me the service would be $4700 and Rolex recommended I replace the band at another $4790. All this in her excited voice like it was a normal thing.

After I asked a number of questions, she put me on hold, talked to her manager, and said; "I'm glad you asked because the service is $980 and if I decide to replace the band it would be another $4790."

I green-lighted the $980 and declined the band replacement (there was nothing wrong with the band when I sent it in so I have no idea why they would recommend replacement).

Kind of crazy situation given when I bought it from them brand new about 12 years ago the entire watch cost about $5k and that included the band Wink

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Well I pulled the trigger yesterday.

My Submariner would not completely wind up using the crown and would not wind up at all just by wrist movement.

She was "retired" for the past 6 months and I wore my Omega or my Orient.

I went to the local Rolex dealer from where I originally bought the watch and the full service package was $950. So off to Mother Rolex she goes.

I did ask about the polishing some of you have posted about, and the rep told me if it was a vintage/more valuable time piece, then "yes" he would tell them not to polish the watch. However since mine was a "regular" Submariner, don't worry about it.

The turn around time is 8 to 10 weeks in case you are curious.

My local Rolex dealer called me with an update yesterday...

When I dropped it off the agreed service was "all in" at $950. They would call if it was more than that amount.

I about pooped my pants when she told me the service would be $4700 and Rolex recommended I replace the band at another $4790. She told me all this like it was a normal thing.

After I asked a number of questions she put me on hold, talked to her manager, and said; "I'm glad you asked because the service is $980 and if I decide to replace the band it would be another $4790."

I green-lighted the $980 and declined the band replacement (there was nothing wrong with the band when I sent it in so I have no idea why they would recommend replacement).

Kind of crazy situation given when I bought it from them brand new about 12 years ago the entire watch cost about $5k and that included the band Wink

I've recently bought new bracelets from my AD in both Oyster and Jubilee form (steel) of the era they would have issued a decade ago. Both were around $1300 - $1500 new, from an AD, with tax included. Unless yours is gold, they are trying to steal from you.

I would ask which RSC they sent it to and call them to verify. Something smells here. Unless it is gold... I always send mine myself directly. My Explorer II is in Dallas now.

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
There's a company called roliworks that rebuilds bracelets for an absolute fraction of the cost.

They will weld up, bush and repin a stretched bracelet to better than factory specs.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mars & Rogue.

My Rolex is the stainless/gold version.

The gal from my local dealer gave no reason as to why Rolex recommended replacement of the bracelet.

Would your guess be that it is "stretched"?

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
quote:

The 3235 series now has a ball bearing rotor instead of the jewel bushing. You can hear the rotor now. Also all the decoration is gone. It's pretty much sterile inside and looks very much like the Tudor movement.

The movements are now designed around high production.

Ah. To be fair, I believe Rolex movements were always designed around high production. Last I'd heard was over a million a year. I'm more upset that they dropped the lug holes. Man, I'd love to have those back!