SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
In the early 80's when I got my first job out of college, I worked as an engineer on an oil and gas research ship owned and operated by Mobil Exploration and Producing out of Dallas, TX. Funny, a ship operated out of landlocked Dallas. But it was a great first job and I saw much of the world including lots of third world shitho....I mean countries. Travel is a great educator. But on this ship were lots of scientists and technicians along with us marine crew and many of them had very nice watches. Maybe it was a Dallas/Texas thing. One that caught my eye in particular was an Omega Seamaster. I'm not sure I'd say it was my grail watch, but I finally got one from a forum member who was great to deal with.

I'm sure this won't be the end of my watch journey, but it sure has scratched an itch!

Looks great on you my friend! Wear it in good health.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Lt!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leeann:
I've not figured it out.

Our nephew (cop) wears his watch face down.My husband just started wearing his face down as well.

That would never work for me. It's weird.

If you're talking about wearing the watch with the dial under your wrist, that's how my Dad wore his.

Said he learned it in flight school WWII.

I tried it, but no bueno.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snapping Twig:
Said he learned it in flight school WWII.

I can see it for combat flying, probably makes all kinds of sense.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
I've been curious about trying a new band, but having a hard time visualizing how it would look.

Was browsing Strapsmith & saw some i like, but can't see it on the Citizen F150.

Thoughts? I'm assuming that the case hugging bracelet lugs would have a gap with a leather, or other, strap instead.

I have a Citizen AR 2.0 that came with a rubber strap. Not uncomfortable, but just didn't feel right.

When the strap broke, I found out that it is somewhat model specific (conforms to the case) and wanted to try something different.

No problem. Bought new pins and new straps. I don't mind the gap, and it's a bit more comfortable with a NATO strap.

You do you.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Part of my concern with something like a NATO, is that the F150 has a pretty thick case, so I don't really want to make it wear even taller, even by the minimal thickness of a NATO strap.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Looking at replacing a couple of watch bracelets. Stainless 22mm lug I think. I don't have a caliper to confirm. StrapCode good to go? I am looking to add a better than stock bracelet. By chance does anyone have pics with StrapCode bracelets on a Seiko Baby Tuna (ice) and Seiko Monster (ice). Picture doesn't need to be ice/frost colorway. Thank you in advance, John.

Posts: 2862 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Here is a Turtle on a Strapcode jubilee bracelet. It is a good bracelet. This is not my watch, but I have the same bracelet on the same watch.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Part of my concern with something like a NATO, is that the F150 has a pretty thick case, so I don't really want to make it wear even taller, even by the minimal thickness of a NATO strap.

No experience with these, but I’ll probably be trying one out soon and it might be an option for you:

https://www.bartonwatchbands.c...-style-quick-release

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ah, I get it. Looked up your F150. Beefy watch!

I've found that leather, as it breaks in, starts to conform to my wrist, and the case won't stand proud.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
posted Hide Post
Oh boy. Smudge, you went there.

Most of my bands are from Barton. Great bang for the buck. Haven't tried their QD NATO offerings, but have been pleased with their leather and soft silicone (very comfortable!) straps. Nice selection of colors, and I like the sailcloth strap I bought recently, though it feels like it may be a pain to break in.

Tread lightly with Barton. I'm at the point where I need to start segregating my bands according to lug width Big Grin

(Is it that one? Thought it was. Nope. Try another. Nope...)

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
That BOR strapcode and the turtle combo!!!!!!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildheartedson0105:
Barton.

Gah!! SF membership introduces yet another place to spend money. Razz

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most of my bands are from Barton. Great bang for the buck.

I appreciate this info. I keep seeing them on Amazon, and wasn’t sure if it was quality stuff or what. I’ve been wanting to snag a two piece NATO and a rubber strap to try out. I think I’ll go ahead and order a few. Razz

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
P220 Smudge, what ever happened with your Invicta? My silver and gold beater came up in the rotation today. Other than the slight bit of back play with the bezel the watch isn’t bad at all. I like to wear this watch when I go mountain biking or if I’m doing yard work. I know it’s movement can take an absolute beating but I’m curious to see how the case and bracelet hold up to hard use.

Which version did you get? This version is neat because it has a day/date and a Seamaster style scalloped bezel. The bezel action and lume are its only opportunities for improvement.

I think the fit of the bezel might be better on this version. I had the black version a few years ago but gifted it to a friend who was showing interest in auto watches.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Here is a Turtle on a Strapcode jubilee bracelet. It is a good bracelet. This is not my watch, but I have the same bracelet on the same watch.

----------------------------------------------
Thanks for responding as I appreciate the help and your time. Does that band use straight end or a curved one? Thanks, John

Posts: 2862 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by wildheartedson0105:
Barton.

Gah!! SF membership introduces yet another place to spend money. Razz

They're so reasonably priced, IMO, that it's going to be tough to not buy a couple.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pickle Rick:

----------------------------------------------
Thanks for responding as I appreciate the help and your time. Does that band use straight end or a curved one? Thanks, John

The endlinks are fitted to the case. They come with the bracelet.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

Your Invicta is awesome. It's an Abyss.
They had one of two bezels.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
jhe888, thanks for the help. Much appreciated. John