SIGforum
A revival of the Watch thread

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9666031561/m/6290029643

February 24, 2021, 10:00 AM
BigSwede
A revival of the Watch thread
That Seiko is purty

Nice deal on an Orient and Seiko 5 on Drop. I want both but I think my wife would cut me if I bought another watch right now Frown

https://drop.com/watches/drops

February 24, 2021, 10:17 AM
stickman428
Nice!!!! Congrats vthoky! I know you were REALLY wanting one of those badly. The SKX is such a great watch.

I don’t hate the new Sport 5 line that basically replaced the SKX as some of the improvements are nice but losing the water resistance and screw down crown was a major bummer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance
February 24, 2021, 06:19 PM
vthoky
Thank you, stickman! Tooky13 put me onto a good source; shipping was amazingly fast!

My spring bar tool arrived a few minutes ago, so I went about removing the rubber band and installing a dark blue (looks a little purple in the photo) NATO. So... my new SKX has its first scratch now -- at least it's on the underside. Roll Eyes

I'll probably end up with a nice oyster bracelet from Strapcode, but the NATO will serve for a few weeks.

I'm a fan of the 5 Sport line, though I see your issue with the lack of screw-down crown; I do like the screw-downs on my Samurai and my ancient titanium chrono.

God bless America.
February 24, 2021, 08:18 PM
stickman428
Strapcode’s mesh is amazing too. It breathes great in the summer heat and loves to get wet.

A nice diver + quality mesh bracelet = perfection.

The Seiko 5 will never be as great as the SKX but the stealth/blacked out version on a PVD bracelet is pretty sweet. I wish Seiko made a SKX version like this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

February 24, 2021, 09:14 PM
stickman428
Even the SKX’s arch enemy looks good on mesh. Wink Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

February 24, 2021, 09:23 PM
h2oys
I like the looks of the mesh bracelets but would be concerned about losing my arm hair. Valid or not?
February 24, 2021, 09:29 PM
stickman428
Never been an issue for me and my arms are pretty monkey like as you can see. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

February 24, 2021, 10:10 PM
h2oys
^^^Thanks!
February 25, 2021, 08:23 AM
stickman428
Seiko’s 2nd Gen mini Turtle is looking sharp! I love the red second hand and new dial.

It’s about time they do something new with that sweet little diver.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

February 25, 2021, 04:36 PM
vthoky
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Seiko’s 2nd Gen mini Turtle is looking sharp! I love the red second hand and new dial.

I like it!

Loving the stainless bezel insert on this SBDC125 "Baby MM" too:

God bless America.
February 25, 2021, 04:53 PM
stickman428
Whoa! That isn’t a mod!? Did Seiko actually make that? It looks pretty cool. I modded an Orient in a very similar fashion.

The baby MM is available in what I would call a chrome blue bezel insert that is 100% amazing. I’m not a big fan of the baby MM (I think it’s overpriced and underperforming in my experience) but that bezel insert might be one of the most beautiful that Seiko ever produced.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

February 25, 2021, 06:06 PM
vthoky
I don't think that's a mod, man... I grabbed that image right from Gnomon's site.

God bless America.
February 25, 2021, 06:39 PM
stickman428
Seiko seems to be finally aware of the modders and is drawing from their creations for new watches. Big Grin

Seriously, I think Seiko is both aware of and also encouraging the modders. Especially given the recent Street Fighter and Naruto sport 5 special edition watches. That’s a ton of red meat to throw to the modders.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

February 25, 2021, 06:49 PM
vthoky
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
recent Street Fighter and Naruto sport 5 special edition watches. That’s a ton of red meat to throw to the modders.

I think it's kinda cool Seiko supports the modders a little. There are some neat Street Fighter and Naruto watches -- I'm not sure I'd be in the market, but I can't deny some of them are good looking

Boruto Naruto at Watchnation

- - - - -

This SRPD69K1 looks right up your alley, stickman.

God bless America.
February 25, 2021, 07:40 PM
stickman428
Hell yeah! It’s a GREAT thing. It’s a renaissance if you will for the modders. Lots of new stuff to play with and modify/ personalize. I’ve been tempted and have given in and scooped up a few of Seiko’s newest offerings so the marketing is definitely working. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

February 26, 2021, 03:53 PM
vthoky
An article on EverydayCarry, featuring 17 nice dive watches: Linky.

Spoiler for stickman: there's a Steinhart in there.

God bless America.
February 26, 2021, 08:26 PM
stickman428
And a nice Zelos too. That article had some great dive watches, they really did a good job with that list. For anyone remotely interested in dive watches that is a good article to read. I wasn’t expecting to see Zelos get mentioned. Very cool.

I made the mistake of going onto Steinhart’s website today. That new white dial silver and gold Ocean One is sharp! The blue dial version is gorgeous too. Snowflake hands and GMT too....I love when they ditch the boring Mercedes hand for the snowflake.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

February 27, 2021, 06:14 AM
vthoky
I'm loving the Hamilton featured in that article.

God bless America.
February 27, 2021, 09:52 AM
06wrb
I was looking at the Seiko Arnie but decided to try one of the cheap tunas to see how I like it. Ordered SNE497. Pulled the metal bracelet off and replaced with an elastic strap. I really like it.

CEA52B81-E8B4-456E-AE1E-624E4FAC4E54 by 06wrb, on Flickr

Already looking at the SBBN035 on gnomon.
February 28, 2021, 06:50 AM
h2oys
I must quit opening this thread.
I must quit opening this thread..,

Personal preferences aside, if You were to consider the prospex mini-turtle (thanks stickman) versus the helm Komodo with white dial, which would you get?

In other words is one a better watch, more appreciated, etc?