SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Took this on trade (plus cash) for my Breitling. I'm really digging how versatile it is. Grand Feu enamel dial. Fire blued hands. Modernish design, in a prefect (for me) 38mm size.

That is interesting and cool. Enamel is nice.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ I love that dial color and simplicity. Though as simple as it is, I can't say it's really easy for me to read the time.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
The watch websites are giving me a complex.

What are some good budget options (new or vintage) for a small, simple automatic/manual dress watch on a leather strap?

I love Snapping Twig's vintage Omega and many of Rogue's beautiful dress watches of course, but for a dress watch, I think I would want something a bit cheaper for now. I will eventually get an Omega AT that I can interchange a bracelet for a leather band.

I'm still puzzled by what makes a watch too sporty for a suit (in the views of more fashion conscious people) when a Submariner on a bracelet would be just fine.

SUPER EASY!

Add a GREAT strap. Perhaps one from Veblenist. Don't be afraid to spend more on the strap than the watch. In combination, it'll be greater than the sum of the parts. Choose an 18mm strap.

https://www.veblenist.com/straps/

Posts: 11354 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Anyone familiar with Chrono24?

Yeah. I suppose I am, to a degree.

I'll ask your opinions, then. Good and proper to deal with? Any issues, pitfalls, or things a buyer should be aware of?

Chrono24 has the SKX007 I'm looking for, but I seem to need some reassurance before committing.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
ScreamingCockatoo, that’s not it’s only tell. It has the ETA logo and 2824-2 engraved. I’d say typically the bezel action is the most obvious give away except this one has a pretty decent action. If my phone will capture any detail in video I’ll post up the movements flaws/tells.

vthoky, you and me both brother! The Sinn Arktis II that I would unload 1/2 my collection to have is listed on that website (or at least a nice example located in Germany was the last time I looked). The rather obscene (but worth it IMO) price they command makes me VERY uneasy and hesitant to pull the trigger.

Why the hell am I primarily drawn to discontinued watches? I wish I hadn’t waited so long to fall in love with watches.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Took this on trade (plus cash) for my Breitling. I'm really digging how versatile it is. Grand Feu enamel dial. Fire blued hands. Modernish design, in a prefect (for me) 38mm size.

Gorgeous. Simple. Beautiful.

From a design standpoint, that's an 11 out of 10.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'll ask your opinions, then. Good and proper to deal with? Any issues, pitfalls, or things a buyer should be aware of?

Chrono24 has the SKX007 I'm looking for, but I seem to need some reassurance before committing.

I've bought a number of watches on Chrono 24 and, so far, I've had nothing but good results. They keep your payment in escrow until you receive the watch. Just make sure you read the reviews for the dealer.

The last Sinn I bought was from a seller in Riga, Latvia. I was cautious and checked out the dealer in addition to the reviews and found they were an AD for Sinn. Communication was great, very pleasant, and received shipment quickly. Had to pay a VAT tax (FedEx mailed me an invoice), but it was only about $30.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Anyone familiar with Chrono24?

Yeah. I suppose I am, to a degree.

I haven't bought there. It's an aggregation of sellers (kind of like eBay), so you're still dealing with individuals in whom you need to vet. I find prices to be high there as well. I have identified sellers there that have a watch I want and contacted them directly, but in the end, didn't purchase for condition reasons.

I use WatchRecon and deal with individuals. I have a few retail web sites I use. I'm certain many people have good experiences there, but you have to remember somewhere in that pool, there are sharks. So buyer beware.

That said -- I wouldn't be too concerned about scammers on C24 selling fake Seiko 007s. For whatever that's worth. Maybe that adds some confidence. I'd only deal with US sellers.

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I've seen scams and fakes that couldn't be rectified because of not using the escro system or paypal on Chrono24.

The more reputable companies like Jomashop, Crown and Caliber, Swiss Watch Expo, Bob's Watches and Authentic Watches are your best bet.

C&C even has discount codes every once in a while.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
In vthoky’s case a fake SKX007 would be pretty obvious. Just remove the caseback and look at the movement. Right?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Yes.

They DO make them and the difference would be the number on the rotor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFG8AUENQPc

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Damn! Going so far as to glue a fake plate over the rotor to hide the NH36A & SII markings is pretty determined.

The lume pip was the obvious tell on that example. Isn’t it wild they would go through all the trouble to glue a plate on the rotor yet use an obviously fake bezel insert? To me this makes absolutely no sense. Why not use a real bezel insert or get a better fake example? I don’t understand why counterfeiters will go to great detail in some areas and seemingly ignore other more obvious flaws.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFG8AUENQPc

Wow, that's really something! Thank you for the video.

I'm either less tempted or more concerned now; I'm not sure which.

I did see an SKX007J listed on watchuseek yesterday, and it's US-based, so that's encouraging. There are a few US entries on eBay, but that's just a pig in a poke, IMO.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on Dan Henry watches? In particular I am looking at the 1937 range. My wife saw it, liked it and said I should buy it. I like the way it looks but know nothing of build quality and if it worth the price. Any opinions or feedback is appreciated.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I had one. The crystal cracked from driving my car. Meaning... from nothing.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
vthoky, I know how you feel. I got a very sick feeling in my stomach when I realized the prevalence of fake Seiko watches on the market. There are ways you can avoid the counterfeiting scammers but it certainly requires a bit of due diligence and that takes a lot of the fun out of the whole process. A while back I read about someone on a watch blog or something who had a fake Seiko Turtle PADI for years and didn’t realize it until the time came for a service.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
vthoky, I know how you feel. I got a very sick feeling in my stomach when I realized the prevalence of fake Seiko watches on the market.

Did I misread an earlier post from you that you intentionally bought a counterfeit/fake Omega?

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Not at all. I didn’t buy a superclone to pass it off as a real or to deceive but to study it and eventually compare it to the real deal over a few years. I think that is quite obvious in my previous post.

Intentionally buying a superclone knowing full well that it is a superclone is TOTALLY different from buying a Seiko 4205 and/or 7005 when you first get into watches only to discover it was not accurately represented and the level people will go to pass off fake or Franken watches as originals. Or in vthoky’s case trying to find a watch that was recently discontinued and happens to be the most modified watch in existence (which opens the door to fraud).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
My entry into the automatic watch world was via Seiko. It’s a brand I will adore until the day I die. Whenever I travel and at least once every few days you can trust and believe one of these is on my wrist. Can you guess which one is my favorite?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I'm going to guess it's the orange-faced Samurai.

God bless America.