SIGforum
A revival of the Watch thread

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9666031561/m/6290029643

December 02, 2020, 10:04 PM
stickman428
A revival of the Watch thread
copaup, I wasn’t into chronograph divers for a loooooooooong time. This little thing is amazing. It’s got everything I want in a tiny little package that is incredibly comfortable and very easy on the eyes.

So far my first experience with the Squale brand has been VERY positive.

I love the dial on this thing!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance
December 03, 2020, 05:22 AM
r0gue
quote:
Originally posted by 453030:...I owned one of the Montblanc watches rOgue pictured from SJX (original blue dial steel case 100 piece edition), Super cool manual winding Minerva Swiss movement until it literally seized a month or so into ownership. Sure, it can happen to any brand. But let me tell you something, Montblanc's customer service is the worst, so bad I will never own any of their products again....

Nightmare. Owning a ultra complex machine from a masterhouse of horology (Minerva) and seeking service on it from a pen company (Montblanc). Thanks for shaking me out of my foolish desire to own one.

December 03, 2020, 07:02 AM
rduckwor
This is a very cool animation of the assembly of a Valjoux Chronograph. Short and sweet. Wish it worked that way in reality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...gftJWefcUtGsjF-fPWQQ

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.
December 03, 2020, 11:09 AM
P220 Smudge
I love that Squale, especially the dial. Some of their shades of blue and teal really knock me out. I’d love to own one some day.

Man, the field watch but has bit me, hard. I’m really tempted to move the Phiobos (which I pretty much haven’t worn since I got my Glycine) and snag a Lum-Tec Combat B47. It’s a stupid amount of lume on the dial, but I feel like $500 puts me in the price range of a number of other great options I haven’t discovered yet. Part of me also feels like if I’m going to spend that kind of coin on a quartz watch, I might as well get something iconic like a Boluva Lunar Pilot. I dunno.

December 03, 2020, 11:32 AM
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Nightmare. Owning a ultra complex machine from a masterhouse of horology (Minerva) and seeking service on it from a pen company (Montblanc). Thanks for shaking me out of my foolish desire to own one.

You bet. Sad thing is the watch was cool, and I loved it. Killer dial, hands, case, etc. And I can be patient and understanding, but the service process was absolutely deplorable. Too many other great brands available to waste any time or money on Montblanc.
December 03, 2020, 02:00 PM
stickman428
Nah P220 Smudge don’t fall into the trap
I fell into. Quartz = boring as fuck, not even once. I no longer own a single quartz chrono. I gifted my lunar Bulova moon watch away and I don’t miss it at all! They are lame beyond belief. Trust me the Valjoux 7750 is far superior to that quartz basic POS in every way shape and form. Auto chronographs > quartz chronos. Once you find one that suits
You it might very well be the end of your watch buying days.

Oddly enough, my Le Jour blacked out chrono has been a better reincarnated version of a more affordable Tag/Omega/Sinn/chrono and it’s all but killed my lust for a more expensive alternative. It’s been that good (since it’s trip back to the factory)

Sure it isn’t prestigious, and it doesn’t have the brand name recognition of others but in my experience (in fully utilizing the warranty) it performs well beyond its weight class and then some.

BTW the Squale chrono is FN incredible! I am absolutely loving it 100%! It’s kinda small though.
You will find few competitors in that size category utilizing Valjoux 7750 movements unfortunately. But if you have small wrists like me it’s quite the grail watch.

At this point only one watch tempts me so my collection is nearly complete.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

December 03, 2020, 04:14 PM
vthoky
quote:
Originally posted by 453030:
Your $125 Seiko will serve you just fine. Enjoy it!

Yeah! What he said! Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Quartz = boring

You may be right, man. But in the case of my ever-loyal Seiko quartz chrono, "boring" = "reliable." As in, I never have to mess with it. I have to set the date occasionally, but that's it.

God bless America.
December 03, 2020, 09:00 PM
stickman428
A Valjoux 7750 is life changing. I have not had one off my wrist since owning one....at least while one has been in my possession. And I own a LOT of autos and solars and even a few (select, very special) Quartz watches. There is something about the accuracy and subtle way a 7750 reminds you occasionally that you are wearing a uni-directional winding auto that just just perfect. They are worlds better than any quartz and maybe even a solar quartz (though I think maybe that design hasn’t been fully realized yet). They are a treasure to own man. I adore mine.

I’d love to see Seiko or Citizen make a serious solar diver chrono with a legit user interface. I’d be it’s biggest proponent.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

December 04, 2020, 01:32 AM
wildheartedson0105
quote:
Originally posted by 453030:
quote:
Originally posted by wildheartedson0105:
r0gue, rduckwor, and vthoky, thank you for the explanations about mechanical vs quartz,
and positive thoughts on the movement in my Seiko.

Hope it keeps on keeping on. Funny how I get so attached to a $125-ish watch!

Stick, crossthread points for the Luminox/cycle comparison! Big Grin

For whatever it is worth, I owned one of the Montblanc watches rOgue pictured from SJX (original blue dial steel case 100 piece edition), Super cool manual winding Minerva Swiss movement until it literally seized a month or so into ownership. Sure, it can happen to any brand. But let me tell you something, Montblanc's customer service is the worst, so bad I will never own any of their products again.

Your $125 Seiko will serve you just fine. Enjoy it!

Wow. Sorry to hear about your experience.

And, thank you!

Don't back up, don't back down.
December 04, 2020, 01:36 AM
wildheartedson0105
r0gue, that Jaeger is stunning. Really dig the hour and minute hands.

Kind of resemble neck ties, which like watches, are a budding addiction of mine.

December 04, 2020, 01:44 AM
wildheartedson0105
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
This is a very cool animation of the assembly of a Valjoux Chronograph. Short and sweet. Wish it worked that way in reality.

What, approximately, would be the time required to re-assemble a mechanical chrono?

Several hours, or are we talking days?

December 04, 2020, 07:25 AM
rduckwor
Depends upon the tolerance of the watchmaker and whether or not all goes well.

Nominally several hours just to re-assemble. The key rule in watchmaking (other than don't break the watch) is tolerance. If you're frustrated, leave it alone for a while. You gain little but pain but forcing yourself to continue.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.
December 04, 2020, 09:28 AM
6guns
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
One from today... Probably my best yet of this watch.

So clean and classy!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>
December 04, 2020, 07:02 PM
vthoky
I've GOT to stop surfing Seiko watches online.

I've just found the Alpinist Shark's Tooth Black. Eek Cool

[vthoky wanders away, looking for something to sell....]

God bless America.
December 05, 2020, 02:12 AM
wildheartedson0105
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Depends upon the tolerance of the watchmaker and whether or not all goes well.

Nominally several hours just to re-assemble. The key rule in watchmaking (other than don't break the watch) is tolerance. If you're frustrated, leave it alone for a while. You gain little but pain but forcing yourself to continue.

RMD

Ah, patience is the name of the game. No pushing forward.

Seems prudent considering one is working with such small, delicate parts.

December 05, 2020, 02:19 AM
wildheartedson0105
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
I've GOT to stop surfing Seiko watches online.

I've just found the Alpinist Shark's Tooth Black. Eek Cool

[vthoky wanders away, looking for something to sell....]

Gaaah! Dangit, vthoky!

Didn't need to see that. Really didn't. Very sharp watch.

December 05, 2020, 06:02 AM
vthoky
(insert evil grin here)

Ha! Now I've done to you what stickman does to me!

God bless America.
December 05, 2020, 07:05 AM
h2oys
Great vthoky. Another dream watch to add to the list.
December 05, 2020, 05:33 PM
Snapping Twig
Been seriously considering the Grand Seiko SBGE248.

https://monochrome-watches.com...oducing-specs-price/

Absolutely stunning watch!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Snapping Twig,
December 06, 2020, 11:40 AM
pulicords
My Alpina Alpiner 4 GMT arrive and though I'm very pleased with the watch (and the deal I received), I found that I need a couple of links to use the OEM oyster bracelet. While waiting for those to arrive (about six weeks), I ordered a nice ostrich hide strap from Rob at "The Strapsmith" and received it within ten days. It's very well done, attractive, and comfortable. The new GMT won't keep me from lusting after a Rolex Explorer II (Polar) or regularly wearing my James Cameron Deep Sea Seadweller, but it's a nice alternative with the light colored dial that I was looking for.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."