SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 ... 291

Moderators: LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888: What is the bezel, marked with 1 to 36 measure?

The only thing that comes to my mind is degrees, by adding a zero to the end. So "36" is actually 360°, and so on. One use of that would be using the watch as a sun compass. Point the hour hand at the point on the horizon directly under the sun, and north will be halfway between the hour hand and 12 o'clock (if you're in the northern hemisphere). You can then use the bezel marks to find any other point on the compass.


That is it. Thanks.




The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
 
Posts: 49356 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
I love my Rolex James Cameron DSSD but, while traveling I'd really like to have a watch with a GMT complication, that's not as valuable as the Explorer II (Polar) that I'm still lusting for. After an extensive search, I found a great deal on a Alpina Alpiner 4 GMT that seems to fit the bill quite nicely. A pretty watch that looks very different than my "Diver" style, is quite reliable (according to posters here) and it's a lot of watch for less than $1000.00. Pics from the internet, since I'm going to have to wait a bit for mine to arrive. I'll have the stainless steel band on it when it arrives, but I'm considering an Alligator strap as an alternative. Suggestions?





That is a good-looking watch. What is the bezel, marked with 1 to 36 measure?


Man. That is a sharp looking watch. I have a soft spot for GMTs and for white faces on watches. Or is that a silver face?
 
Posts: 3274 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
A buddy of mine just got this Seiko as a gift from his girlfriend. He is not a watch guy and at 47 yoa this is his first one. He doesn’t know what model but, thought it was a newer one in the line up? Maybe? Who knows? Anyone here recognize it? I like it.

[IMG:left] [/IMG]
 
Posts: 3274 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That’s one of the new Seiko sport 5 watches. It kind of replaced the SKX though some people are pissed the water resistance was lowered to 100m and it lost its screw down crown. It did gain a better movement with hacking and hand winding.

They are good watches.
 
Posts: 17527 | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz: Anyone here recognize it?

It looks like a Seiko 5 Sports, Model SRPD65.

[Edit: Dang, Stickman beat me to it. I need to learn to type faster.]
 
Posts: 599 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I'm way tempted to grab one of those. Cool




God bless America.
 
Posts: 10617 | Location: Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
I love my Rolex James Cameron DSSD but, while traveling I'd really like to have a watch with a GMT complication, that's not as valuable as the Explorer II (Polar) that I'm still lusting for. After an extensive search, I found a great deal on a Alpina Alpiner 4 GMT that seems to fit the bill quite nicely. A pretty watch that looks very different than my "Diver" style, is quite reliable (according to posters here) and it's a lot of watch for less than $1000.00. Pics from the internet, since I'm going to have to wait a bit for mine to arrive. I'll have the stainless steel band on it when it arrives, but I'm considering an Alligator strap as an alternative. Suggestions?





That is a good-looking watch. What is the bezel, marked with 1 to 36 measure?


Man. That is a sharp looking watch. I have a soft spot for GMTs and for white faces on watches. Or is that a silver face?


It's still in transit, so I haven't seen one in person yet, but it's supposed to be "Silver." Every pic I've seen of it makes it look white (which was my preference), but I'm sure I'll be happy in either case. I really got a great deal on this watch, compared with what I've seen them go for locally and the particulars of this model have been either discontinued or changed somewhat.


"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."
 
Posts: 9402 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888: What is the bezel, marked with 1 to 36 measure?

The only thing that comes to my mind is degrees, by adding a zero to the end. So "36" is actually 360°, and so on. One use of that would be using the watch as a sun compass. Point the hour hand at the point on the horizon directly under the sun, and north will be halfway between the hour hand and 12 o'clock (if you're in the northern hemisphere). You can then use the bezel marks to find any other point on the compass.


That's exactly what the feature is! I'm not sure if I'll be using the 360 degree navigation bezel, but it's certainly an interesting addition!

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/a...r-gmt-4-watch-hands/


"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."
 
Posts: 9402 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
Oops. I misspoke in my comment about using a watch as a sun compass. I've edited my post, but everyone who quoted me has the incorrect wording. I should have written that halfway between the hour hand and 12 o'clock will point SOUTH, not north. My apologies.
 
Posts: 599 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I just got an email that my Seamaster is on it's way back from service. This is exciting because I was originally quoted December 15. I'll be sure to get some post spa pics of it.

I'd never considered the sun compass. I'd always wondered what that particular bezel was for.
 
Posts: 2135 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I have a Citizen Promaster diver. The silicon strap failed so I ordered a Blu shark Nato strap. It keeps throwing the little spring loaded bars. Plus, the strap end stuck up about an inch over the dial. Wasted 30 bucks on that crap.


_________________________
OH, Bonnie McMurray!
 
Posts: 6104 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
The silicon strap failed so I ordered a Blu shark Nato strap.


I have thought about trying this brand, so I want to ask some clarifying questions.

quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
It keeps throwing the little spring loaded bars.


Are they older spring bars? I'd wonder if new ones might hold better. Also, was the watch strap a really tight fit between the springbar and the watch case? I've had that happen with NATO straps on a few watches and slimmer diameter spring bars worked much better.

quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
Plus, the strap end stuck up about an inch over the dial. Wasted 30 bucks on that crap.


Hmmm. NATOs are meant to have that excess tucked back under the hardware. Do any of these types of solutions work for you? I skipped right to the relevant sections. I actually use a combination of his "slim tuck" and "underside tuck" with a NATO. He's wrong about it not working. It works great, you just gotta get the inner strap fairly taut which can be a pain at first. After a couple day's wear, it's pretty easy to put on and super clean and comfortable. I like it much better than the standard way of wearing a NATO, enough to recommend folks at least try it.



______________________________________________
"It's good for you, because it's got chia seeds and mayonnaise!"
 
Posts: 12463 | Location: Seattle-ish | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
The spring bars are OEM. I see about the excess part and how to tuck it back under thanks to your video. I was lucky both times when the bar popped off I was in the car and saw where it landed. The reason why I ordered the NATO was the replacement silicon strap was 75 dollars. Once I investigated a little more the band that fits my watch was 36 dollars. I ordered it last night. I've always wanted a Hamilton Khaki or a Luminox. Perhaps I'll try the NATO on that. I like the look of the NATO. Putting it on is feels weird and take some effort, but one I get it on its secure and comfortable.


_________________________
OH, Bonnie McMurray!
 
Posts: 6104 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Goose-
Take a look at some of these:

https://countycomm.com/collect...w-all-watch-products

The heavy duty spring bars for $8 are well worth the price. Their NATO straps are solid, they just take a minute to break in. I haven't heard anyone complain about the silicon bracelet.


_____________________________________________________________________

"When its time to shoot, shoot. Dont talk!"

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy
 
Posts: 6403 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
The silicon strap was fine it just broke.


_________________________
OH, Bonnie McMurray!
 
Posts: 6104 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
The silicon strap failed so I ordered a Blu shark Nato strap.


I have thought about trying this brand, so I want to ask some clarifying questions.


I have an "Alphapremiere Stealth Black" strap on one of my watches. It is very good quality and has held up well since I got it in February of this year. It is very comfortable and I would buy another one without hesitation.


____________
Μολὼν Λαβέ
01 03 04 14 16 18
 
Posts: 7258 | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
A little custom strap action for the weekend! H. Moser & Cie. on a hand stitched alligator strap, with round scale alligator backing.


 
Posts: 9915 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
That's gorgeous, r0gue.


Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more
 
Posts: 629 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
The spring bars are OEM. I see about the excess part and how to tuck it back under thanks to your video. I was lucky both times when the bar popped off I was in the car and saw where it landed. The reason why I ordered the NATO was the replacement silicon strap was 75 dollars. Once I investigated a little more the band that fits my watch was 36 dollars. I ordered it last night. I've always wanted a Hamilton Khaki or a Luminox. Perhaps I'll try the NATO on that. I like the look of the NATO. Putting it on is feels weird and take some effort, but one I get it on its secure and comfortable.


Yeah, I think if you try it with some fresh spring bars of good quality you'll solve that problem. It takes a little bit of getting used to, but I absolutely love NATOs for comfort. I've got them for most of my watches now and going back to a bracelet type feels odd when I do. Less comfortable for sure.

quote:
Originally posted by AH.74:
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
The silicon strap failed so I ordered a Blu shark Nato strap.


I have thought about trying this brand, so I want to ask some clarifying questions.


I have an "Alphapremiere Stealth Black" strap on one of my watches. It is very good quality and has held up well since I got it in February of this year. It is very comfortable and I would buy another one without hesitation.


Thanks, I believe that will fit the bill for what I'm looking for. I bought a Crown and Buckle Supreme NATO for one watch, but I never wear the watch and my daily wear is a different size. Figured it was a good opportunity to try something a little different and Blu Shark seems to be also highly recommended and in the same price range. It will be going on a Glycine Combat Sub, and I'm trying to see how low I can get it to sit on my wrist, so the thinner type interests me.



r0gue, very tasty. That looks great.


______________________________________________
"It's good for you, because it's got chia seeds and mayonnaise!"
 
Posts: 12463 | Location: Seattle-ish | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Just got my Dad's watch repaired. It was his wedding gift in 1954 and is inscribed as such on the back.

It's a bump wind, hasn't run in 60 years. Watchmaker opened it up in front of me and the bridges are beautiful! Shiny copper like rose gold.

Found the problem, full service, now it's like new. Smile



Here's the band he had on it.



Underside

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Snapping Twig,
 
Posts: 2586 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 ... 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 ... 291 
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread

© SIGforum 2021