SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Test your watch knowledge. What watch am I wearing tonight?

Hint: it is VERY bright when the sun goes down.

Something made by Ball?

TS

Posts: 858 | Location: California | Registered: March 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Anyone have any input on the best place to send a Seamaster for a service? I'm pretty sure mine has never been serviced and it is running about 30 seconds slow a day. Needs a couple of pins and collars replaced in the bracelet as well. Just regular stuff for a 20 year old watch, but I don't have an Omega dealer within 3 hours of the house and am uncomfortable picking a service center at random without input.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
If it were me I’d send it back to Omega.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
Anyone have any input on the best place to send a Seamaster for a service?

I think sending it to an Omega-authorized service center is your best choice. If you're in the USA, they have four service centers: New Jersey, Florida, California, and Washington (The state, not the city.). Here's a site where you can find an Omega service center near you: https://www.omegawatches.com/c...ountry/united-states

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone have any input on the best place to send a Seamaster for a service?

I wouldn't be afraid to use either of these two independents as well.

https://www.rgmwatches.com/

https://www.watchmann.com/watchrepair.php

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone have any input on the best place to send a Seamaster for a service? I'm pretty sure mine has never been serviced and it is running about 30 seconds slow a day. Needs a couple of pins and collars replaced in the bracelet as well. Just regular stuff for a 20 year old watch, but I don't have an Omega dealer within 3 hours of the house and am uncomfortable picking a service center at random without input.

I recently had mine serviced by the Miami Omega shop. They sent me back a watch with a smudge on the inside of the crystal and I had to send it right back. Hopefully that was an outlier. It now looks fantastic and runs like a top.

I've heard that they are stingy with parts so some indys might not use Omega parts, but I'm sure the ones r0gue listed are as good as it gets. You might just call them to make sure they don't have a problem getting OEM parts.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
It's going back to Omega, at least for this trip. Miami is probably the closest Service Center to me, but I have seen mixed reviews on some of the watch forums. We all know how forums tend to attract more negative than positive posts though, so I was hoping some of you had more direct input. Not surprisingly, you did. This remains the best forum on the Web. Thanks.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, I always send my watches to the manufacturer's service center unless it is vintage, or an inexpensive watch. So, good move IMO.

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
My dad mailed this watch to me & didn't tell me about it. I'm blown away:

Late 60's Universal Geneve Railrouter 1605-0 as supplied to Canadian National Railways. Note the "0" instead of "12". Quite a rare watch. He's had it for 25 years. Running 60 mins fast a day, going in for a much neded service.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Cool watch, kz1000. Easy reading and very utilitarian. The 0 instead of a 12 definitely caught my attention. I like it.

So I heard back from a Costco rep. The short version is, they no longer stock the Glycine GL0076, so what is in stores is what they have. Amazon has it for $550. For the price Costco was charging, I couldn't pass it up. $289 before tax, and not even an hour after I bought it, it’s already my favorite. Immediately after sizing it, I pulled the original bracelet off and threw it on a NATO. Man, this thing is comfortable. In the last picture, the dial and bezel look almost jet black, but the first few are closer to how it looks in person, which is more of a charcoal color. I was right in my suspicions that a 42mm watch was the sweet spot for me. I can't believe how thin it is, my Duro is thicker.

I like the movement already. Date snaps over right at midnight and the overall feel when setting it seemed more precise and somehow less "squishy" than the NH35 in my Phoibos.

The picture isn't very good, but the lume is.

Much less flashy than the Phoibos. Very utilitarian. I like it a lot.

I watched some videos about the small changes they made to the Combat Sub after the Invicta takeover. It doesn't have drilled lugs (which is one of the changes), but it's got the old/new style logo on the dial (not the transitional one they got sued for), crown, and case back. Surprisingly, it's got an O ring on the winder stem, which is supposed to be one of the things Invicta got rid of. Interesting little details.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Congrats man! The Glycine Combat sub is hands down one of my all time favorite watches. Why? If offers a tremendous bang for your buck factor. It’s one of the thinnest divers on the market coming in at barely over 10mm thick. The Sellita SW200 (or ETA 2824-2) movement it has is found in watches costing quite a bit more than the Combat. In my experience the accuracy and quality is quite good. I have yet to see one with a misaligned bezel insert. Most of mine keep great time and run around 4-5 seconds fast a day.

Glycine catches hell for being owned by Invicta but in my experience with lots of Invicta era Glycine watches the hate is unwarranted. They are still a very good watch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Yeah, I think I'll be looking at picking up another one or two in different colorways over time. I really like this watch. I need something with some gold on it to go with the family ring I inherited. I don't wear it because it clashes with all the watches I own. Good excuse... I mean reason to buy another watch. Razz

Man, this is going to be worse than guns and guitars.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Steinhart made 200 of these for Gnomon. The little 39mm Tudor wannabe is a watch that has surprised me. It’s so small and comfy I often forget I’m wearing it. Each one was individually numbered. They sold out in something like 2 days even though Gnomon made it clear that another round would be produced with a sapphire crystal instead of the domed acrylic and they wouldn’t be individually numbered or a limited production item. They also claim the 2nd round won’t have Gnomon’s logo on the dial either so it’ll be interesting to see how the second round looks.

I got to choose the number. Big Grin 1-100 were available to choose 101-200 were assigned randomly if people didn’t care or didn’t see the drop box to choose your number & which were available.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's a huge dome.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
You know, I am not really a huge fan of mesh straps, but that actually looks quite nice on that watch. The dome on the crystal is a bit of a surprise. That side view reminds me of some of the Vostoks I've seen, like this one. I like the colorway on that Steinhart, the blue is a nice shade and goes well with the creme colored hands and indices.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It really is an interesting crystal. I’m a bit worried how well the plexiglass will hold up and how easy it will be to scratch. I am a sucker for snowflake hands. I have another Steinie that’s a bit of an odd bird too (OCEAN 1 DLC GMT) and I fell in love with its Tudor-esque snowflake hands and copious amounts of Super-LumiNova BGW9 that enables it to glow all night long. Cool

I was at my local Rolex/ Omega AD today picking up a few items and looking at the beautiful watches. The Rolex case looked absolutely depressing. Slim pickings would be an understatement.

The Omega case was more promising. I finally got to see the white dial SMP 300 & the new 007 Bond watch in person. HOLY SMOKES the titanium cased 007 watch is light on that NATO strap. It felt about as heavy as a plastic Swatch on silicon straps, just crazy light. I was just loving the watch and then I glanced at the price tag.....

The white dial SMP 300 was also impressive. I really like the way the dial reflects different colors at the same time almost like an abalone or MOP dial. It’s different but in a good way. I’m now a little torn between white or silver if I were to get one right now.

They were sold out of the silver dial with blue bezel insert Seamaster I have been leaning towards. They did of course let me know they could find one for me and have it sent to their store with quickness all for a cool $5200.00 Eek

There were two Aqua Terra models I liked quite a bit. One with a dark blue dial and one with a silver dial. The lack of a Helium release valve and bezel gives it a more dressy/sport watch look. On the stitched rubber straps it looked and felt amazing. Darn you Omega and your many tempting and expensive watches. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
It really is an interesting crystal. I’m a bit worried how well the plexiglass will hold up and how easy it will be to scratch.

I've had my Zeno 485GMT SeaHunter (ETA 2893-2) since 2001. It sports an acrylic domed crystal. As an aside I also have a custom watch sporting an ETA 2846 with an added hacking function built on a beadblasted Zeno 485 case with the same domed acrylic crystal that also dates from 2001. Neither crystal has had any issues. That said I recall buffing each once years ago with PolyWatch.

Sorry about the dust in these quickie cellphone pix above.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Whoa...now that’s a serious domed crystal! Very cool! Are there any angles that give off distortion? It looks like there are.

I have an older Tissot Seastar with a very interesting single dome sapphire crystal that throws off tons of distortion when you look at it from certain angles.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whoa...now that’s a serious domed crystal! Very cool! Are there any angles that give off distortion? It looks like there are.

No, not so much distortion at all... its the reflections that can be annoying. That said I love acrylic crystals (e.g Sinn 156 Military, etc.). Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Bald1, that SeaHunter is eye-catching. Did you charge up the lume before taking those pics, or is it always like that? Looks awesome.