SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:...where "construction" is taken as "usage"...

quote:
Originally posted by bald1:...Be as pedantic as you like. The fact remains that correct or not, it is used in the cited circles just as I've stated.

You can stubbornly continue to misuse words if you choose, and can twist meanings as you choose. But, as I said, don't misrepresent what I wrote to do so. And listing cases of others misusing the term doesn't make it right. I could cite hundreds of cases of people calling the magazine on semiautomatic handguns a "clip," but that doesn't make it right. So go on being stubborn. I'm done with this conversation.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
For fucks sake this is supposed to be fun.

Bald1 I understand and appreciate your sentiment. I want the watch to keep the character it developed while on my father’s wrist.

Brian you may not have wanted to be pedantic but you were. Lighten up and enjoy the watches.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I love that Omega.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Green Highlander:
...Brian you may not have wanted to be pedantic but you were.

Of course I wanted to be pedantic. That's why I wrote "Excuse me for being pedantic, but..."

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Stickman, you're a Glycine fan. What do you think of a GL0076 for $289?

I'm not seeing it on Costco's website, which makes me wonder if it's a matter of "what's in stock in stores is what is left." I think I'm going to call tomorrow and ask some questions.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I think that’s a pretty dang good price P220 Smudge. Glycine’s diver offers quite a bit of bang for your buck when you consider you get a solid diver and a Swiss movement (probably a Sellita sw200) all for under $300.

I paid close to that for my used Glycine GL0080 aka the Red Radar reference.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have a neat watch display case? I am thinking about building a custom one myself at my friends Woodworking shop.

I saw a VERY cool display case with built in watch winders on a watch page (Zelos I think it was) but now I can’t find it.

I want to build something interesting with built in lighting. I believe I could build a decent example for far less than what I am seeing online. Probably 1/4 the cost if that of some of the nicer examples and I can build in a few extra sections for winders and basically have it made my way. I’d like to build something somewhat similar to this one.

What is your best guess at the price of this massive watch winder? I found it while pricing out various watch winders and my jaw dropped.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Old school is still very cool

Omega Speedmaster Racing model ... A personal celebration of a life time of flying, racing motorcycles at the Bonneville salt flats and racing SCCA with a National Comp License.

I'm not a collector, flipper or mod kind of guy, but I thoroughly enjoy everyone's watch experiences here in the forums gallery. Keep on keeping on gents!!!

If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything. I stand for "We The People ..."

Posts: 259 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: August 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Does anyone have a neat watch display case? I am thinking about building a custom one myself at my friends Woodworking shop.

I saw a VERY cool display case with built in watch winders on a watch page (Zelos I think it was) but now I can’t find it.

I want to build something interesting with built in lighting. I believe I could build a decent example for far less than what I am seeing online. Probably 1/4 the cost if that of some of the nicer examples and I can build in a few extra sections for winders and basically have it made my way. I’d like to build something somewhat similar to this one.

What is your best guess at the price of this massive watch winder? I found it while pricing out various watch winders and my jaw dropped.

Watch winders are ridiculous. An 8-watch Wolf winder on Drop is over $1200.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think that’s a pretty dang good price P220 Smudge. Glycine’s diver offers quite a bit of bang for your buck when you consider you get a solid diver and a Swiss movement (probably a Sellita sw200) all for under $300.

I paid close to that for my used Glycine GL0080 aka the Red Radar reference.

Thanks. I'm going to call them and ask some questions this afternoon. If it's something they know they'll keep stocking for quite some time, then I'll be happy to wait a bit. If not, I'm tempted to go ahead and get one while I can.

As for the Volta winder, I'm going to guess you could probably buy a new Submariner for what that unit costs, or at least get pretty damn close. Maybe that’s a bit high and half of that is the right number. Either way, the prices I've seen on winders immediately put me in the "yeah, I don't need that" camp. Razz

I had been toying with the idea of trying to build a smaller version of the display case you posted. Something that would sit on my dresser. Glass window top with some strings of UV LED's inside to charge lume, and a few drawers to put straps and tools and whatnot in.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I didn’t really research them too closely but that model was listed well north of $4,000 on the page where I stumbled across it. Eek

Somewhere in the range of 4-7 winders along with room for 24-96 watches depending on the set up would be ideal. I’ve seen a few designs that allow you can modify the display as your collection grows/shrinks. You can fill in space with nice watch boxes, winders etc.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I work for a manufacturer of small motors (among other things). This multi-station watch-winding display case thing has me way curious, stickman. Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn’t really research them too closely but that model was listed well north of $4,000 on the page where I stumbled across it. Eek

Somewhere in the range of 4-7 winders along with room for 24-96 watches depending on the set up would be ideal. I’ve seen a few designs that allow you can modify the display as your collection grows/shrinks. You can fill in space with nice watch boxes, winders etc.

$4,000 is nothing. Check the price on some of the larger Wolf and Orbita winders. The bigger ones can easily cost $40k-$50k.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Well, I thought I was going to get a Yema as my next watch.

No, I just discovered OW reissues. It's every bit as nice as the Longines or Rado reissues.

https://ow-watch.ch/collections/main

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34107 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Well, I thought I was going to get a Yema as my next watch.

No, I just discovered OW reissues. It's every bit as nice as the Longines or Rado reissues.

https://ow-watch.ch/collections/main

Those are some loooong lugs. I'm wondering how it would wear. Betting at least like a 42mm. Cool looking for sure.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Free straps (karma I guess -- but only in this thread for the watch-nerds like me). Post if you want one or both, so I know who was first.

Short length 20mm brown side stitched. (padded) --- gone to P220 Smudge

Regular 19mm calf. (very flat)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: r0gue,

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I would like a chance at the 20mm strap, please. Thank you. Smile

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I would like a chance at the 20mm strap, please. Thank you. Smile

It's yours!

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
It's yours!

Awesome, thank you, sir. I emailed you back. Smile

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Test your watch knowledge. What watch am I wearing tonight?

Hint: it is VERY bright when the sun goes down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~