SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Got my SMP back (again) from service. Right at 1 month on its return trip. I can understand why people don't want their watch polished when it goes in, but I must say, it looks amazing... just about brand new. They once again replaced the hands, crown, He valve stem, and seals and gaskets. New lume looks awesome.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Looks great Yellowjacket! I’ve always been fond of the hands and dial on that Seamaster. I kinda wish I had gotten one of those instead of my 1999 SMP.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
I joined the SKX club last week. So far I really like it.

Posts: 1442 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I've got an SKX007 that I've abused for nearly 20 years. Never been in for a service, spent probably 8 years as my watch on duty 5 days a week, and has been flawless up until a couple months back when it started stopping and starting. It's on it's way back to Seiko now for a new movement. Total cost? About $120 including shipping. I find that pretty reasonable considering the sheer amount of abuse I subjected the poor thing to over the years.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the club. The SKX is a great watch. I sometimes wonder with all the watch modders tinkering with the SKX if maybe a stock one will be worth something some day?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Well, Stickman got me on the Phoibos. A lot of the reviews said it was a chunky watch, but I don’t think it’s too bad. Honestly, looking at it, I think I could probably get away with a bigger watch. I might try a 45-47mm watch next.

While I was waiting for it to show up, I felt the need to scratch the itch a little bit, so I decided to try out a NATO strap. Amazon had a six pack with a spring bar tool for $15, so I figured that was a fine price for a trial run. I took the thrashed nylon/pleather strap off my Timex Metal Field (cheapest watch in the thread so far? Wink ) and put the “Bond” NATO on it. I’m an instant convert. Damn, I like this.

Posts: 17123 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge: I took the thrashed nylon/pleather strap off my Timex Metal Field (cheapest watch in the thread so far? Wink )...

I don't know, but my Casio "Sport Diver" that I posted back on page 212 ($19.95) would give it a run for the money. I'm sure the Casio is the cheapest "diver" that's actually been to 60 FSW, that's for sure.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
That's funny, I was actually looking at an MRW200 the other day. I was half temped to snag this variant for a beater with a dive bezel:

Posts: 17123 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
That's funny, I was actually looking at an MRW200 the other day. I was half temped to snag this variant for a beater with a dive bezel...

They're an amazing value, I think. The bezel isn't unidirectional, so not safe for actual dive duration timing, but in this day of submersible pressure gauges that's not the critical issue it once was. And for less than $20, how could you go wrong.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
In truth, I'm not a diver and I don't foresee ever getting into that, so it wouldn't be a safety issue for me. Burning something I'm cooking is a distinct possibility, however. Big Grin

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
P220 Smudge,

I have it’s twin. Big Grin. I almost went with the gray dial. I’m glad I selected the blue dial, it’s just stunning the way the light catches this dial. I cannot believe that one of my most aesthetically pleasing divers was also one of my most inexpensive.

Phoibos knocked it out of the park with the new Voyager!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I very nearly went with green. Like, added it to my cart along with the blue one and was waffling between which one to delete from the cart "nearly." I'll bet it looks awesome in person.

Now I'm eyeballing an Aragon and also sort of really want an Invicta 1953, which isn't covered with all the garish branding. Poor man's vintage sub. Razz

Man, this is just as addictive as guns and guitars.

https://www.jomashop.com/invic...ens-watch-31290.html

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
My friend just sent me a text that the blue Voyager is sold out!! Big Grin That was fast! He is considering a green one now.

Yep. Watches are easily as addictive as guitars and guns...maybe even more addictive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I’m tempted to get this and eventually do a Tudor Black Bay build/mod. It’s a brand that invokes a bit of passion and tends to be quite polarizing but with a Seiko NH36A Movement, display case back and good build quality it’s a lot of watch for not a lot of money.

https://www.jomashop.com/invic...r-two-tone-7045.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Damn, with a sapphire crystal, no less.

That one's going on the "consider these further" list. Big Grin

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Has anyone seen the latest Seiko special edition run of watches? Eek I am building a stealth Seiko Turtle out of one of the new Seiko 5 sports watches and mentioned the controversy over a watch that looks identical to the SKX losing its screw down crown and 100m of water resistance. I speculated Seiko did this for cost cutting reasons and to focus on adding variety to their collection. Oh boy were those words prophetic.

Look at what was just released. I’m not sure whether I should laugh or cry. The Seiko mod groups I am in are having a field day. Some love them others...well not so much. I’ll just say a few of them are quite ehhh interesting.

No this is not a joke. These are real. I suppose no one can accuse Seiko of being boring.

Street Fighter V watches.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
This is my Yema in bronze now. I am not a fan of forcing a patina - I like the idea that it changes as it will and as you use it.

It is running about 6 or 7 seconds fast per day, stored overnight, face up. That is right on the money for what Yema states as the standard. They claim minimum of +/-12 seconds a day, with an observed average of +/-6 seconds.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It’s looking good. Unless you are hiking, swimming in the ocean or doing something strenuous that will cause you to sweat on the watch I’ve found bronze cases tend to dull ever so slightly over time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Seiko is getting roasted online for making this line. Honestly, I kinda like it. Yes, it’s quite different but I think this is Seiko tossing some red meat to the modders and maybe getting in on a little bit of the fun on their own. Seiko has been making a ton of variants with this new Seiko 5 sport line. If this introduces youngsters to the wonderful world of automatic watch ownership then I think it’s a VERY good thing.

I do wonder what the entire set will be worth in 10-20 years.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Really, it's no more ridiculous than the Mickey Mouse watch, at least to me.

Then again, I'm sure some of the comments are along the lines of saying they're taking a page from Invicta's book. I see they make NFL, Disney, Marvel, and Star Wars watches.

Personally, although they're not that bad looking, they're not for me. But I'm not going to sneer at it. Microtech makes Star Wars character themed switchblades, for crying out loud. SIG Sauer was putting out rainbow and diamond treadplate finishes on pistols for more expensive than a watch or a knife, and while they weren't loved by enthusiasts, I'm sure they sold and someone out there loves them. Spend your money on what you want.