quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
A new strap:

I like it. What make/source?

August 10, 2020, 07:43 PM
jhe888
Babu Handmade Leather

www.babuhandmadeleather.com

Very nice quality, reasonable price. Shipped quickly from Vietnam.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
August 11, 2020, 12:10 AM
Tooky13
Man, these micro brands are addicting. Decided to try a Zelos and picked up their new 40 mm Swordfish (S/N 006). Got the launch price of $269 and I'm impressed. The blue on the dial of the outdoor shot is just the reflection of the sky. I tried a leather band on the indoor shot and you can see that the dial's black.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln
August 11, 2020, 08:23 AM
Mars_Attacks
Here's the Phoibos I ordered.

It's very Yachtmaster-ish and I just love the polished stainless / blue dial combo.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.
August 11, 2020, 08:26 AM
Mars_Attacks

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.
August 11, 2020, 05:36 PM
stickman428
Tooky13, yes. Micro brands are VERY addictive. Gorgeous Zelos! I came close to pulling the trigger myself but I scooped up the same watch as Mars attacks. Elshan Tang makes some amazing watches. I did recently pick up a Zelos Horizons V2 with the frost/ full lume dial and I am loving it!

She isn’t fancy but this is one of my favorite watches a Seiko PADI Turtle in its natural environment. This watch is just amazing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance
August 13, 2020, 10:10 AM
jhe888
The mesh looks good on your turtle. Who made it?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
August 13, 2020, 11:56 AM
stickman428
Thanks! Strapcode winghead 22mm shark mesh.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

August 13, 2020, 11:58 AM
stickman428
Today I’m doing a bit of a science experiment to see how salt water and sea foam patina my blue dial Ventus Northstar. I did a forced patina on my green dial Northstar and it ended up looking 200 years old afterwards. Big Grin

This is a cool brass watch!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

August 13, 2020, 01:36 PM
stickman428
That was fast. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

August 13, 2020, 08:11 PM
copaup

Who knew the French were watchmakers? I'm really liking this one. Really nice build quality, in house movement, and super clean dial.
August 14, 2020, 09:40 AM
jhe888
I have a Yema bronze diver. I am quite happy with it. Well built, and an in-house movement is nice.

It is on a leather strap now, and the bronze has dulled, as you would expect.

August 14, 2020, 11:50 AM
stickman428
JHE888, awesome watch! You should have some fun forcing a patina on it. A little bit of lemon juice diluted in water will bring it right back to its shiny original state. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

August 14, 2020, 01:11 PM
stickman428
Unless you’re going for more of a natural patina over time which is cool too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

August 14, 2020, 01:12 PM
copaup
I looked at that exact watch. I decided I wanted something that wasn't a diver, but looking at that makes me start to consider using my points for a discount...

How's that Superman keeping time? My Flygraf has been excellent thus far. Roughly 5 seconds a day fast over the first week.
August 14, 2020, 01:52 PM
jhe888
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Unless you’re going for more of a natural patina over time which is cool too.

That is my choice - a natural patina. That photo was made right after I bought it. It is now not shiny. I'll take another photo next time I wear it.

It keeps good time, but I don't wear it for an extended enough period of time to have observed it for a week (for example) straight.

August 14, 2020, 07:26 PM
stickman428
rOgue, thanks for posting up that YouTube video on how to sharpen screwdrivers. I really enjoyed that and ended up subscribing to his channel. I can’t wait to get some better tools and start playing around with my Seiko automatics.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

August 15, 2020, 07:54 AM
r0gue
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
rOgue, thanks for posting up that YouTube video on how to sharpen screwdrivers. I really enjoyed that and ended up subscribing to his channel. I can’t wait to get some better tools and start playing around with my Seiko automatics.

I'v endeavored to establish a hollow ground profile for doing Rolex bracelet screws. Taking a cue from gun smithing tools I'd seen. They work fabulous. Never slip.

August 15, 2020, 02:37 PM
BrianO
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue: I'v endeavored to establish a hollow ground profile for doing Rolex bracelet screws.
This works great for getting a perfect profile on screwdriver blades, though it's a bit expensive for a single-task tool: https://www.esslinger.com/horo...harpener-msa-01-504/