SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Pulled the trigger. Smile

This was an underdog in the lineup, but that sort of thing attracts me.

This is the vintage that I have admired, the last incarnation was ghastly IMO.

Before the Submariner, there was the Turnograph, which the Submariner copied directly.

Also, this was the first sport Rolex to be offered in two tone.

This one has the 3135 which I have in my YM and I know it to be supremely accurate and durable, in fact this watch was made in the same year as my YM.

Not a two tone guy, but this looks good with the silver dial, I'm going to wear it.

Additionally my wife has a ladies two tone datejust with the jubilee dial and diamonds.
Translation - she can't read it. It's like gold cammo with gold hands.

Pretty sure she'll wear this one now and again. Smile

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snapping Twig:...my wife has a ladies two tone datejust with the jubilee dial and diamonds.
Translation - she can't read it. It's like gold cammo with gold hands.

I had a customer bring me one like that. Same problem; she couldn't read it. I replaced the gold hands with blued hands and she was happy. The blue & gold worked well together, we thought.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snapping Twig:
Pulled the trigger. Smile
'

Congrats! Pics!?

Posts: 11383 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Dievas Flieger Timer #5 out of a run of 50. Cool I love the sterile dial with only “Made in Germany” written across the bottom of the dial. This watch has an interesting movement, it doesn’t have your typical ETA 2824-2 movement it has an ETA 2452 automatic movement with a 42 hour power reserve and beats at a much slower 18,000 bph compared to the 28,800 beat per hour rate of the fairly standard ETA 2824-2.

I got a great deal because over the years the watch was separated from its box/papers but it’s a watch I intend to wear often so the lack of a full kit wasn’t important to me. It had a few things I was already looking for that are hard to find at a good price, made in Germany, sterile dial and rotating bezel along with flieger/ easy to read dial.

Interesting info on this watch

The Dievas Flieger Timer drew its inspiration from vintage Luftwaffe Borduhr found onboard the ME262, ME109 and other German fighter planes in the 1960s. Limited to only 50 pieces worldwide, Dievas Flieger Timer is highly sought after by collectors and gives a new meaning to the word Limited Edition. Each watch is individually engraved on the caseback with its unique serial number.

The movement found in the Flieger Timer is the vintage Swiss ETA 2452 automatic movement which dates back to the 1960s. This movement utilized in many iconic watches of the time, enlisted into the portfolios of certain world renown movements manufacturers, has a rather cherry history to tell on its own. This particular batch of rare vintage movement is completely unassembled, cleaned and regulated by our master watchmaker. Unlike modern movement, the 18,000bps movement ticks away leisurely at its own pace, a reference to each of our hectic lifestyle that sometimes we have to take a step back, relax and enjoy the subtle quality of life. An assuring reminder more so than often.

Link to website with info on this watch

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
hray,

GORGEOUS COLLECTION! those Doxa watches look great

I hope to be adding a nice silver, or orange dial Doxa to my collection soon. Big Grin Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I am sort of tempted to try to build my own mini turtle SOXA/(seiko) DOXA 300T style homage. It shouldn’t be too hard and I’d love to give my homage and the real deal a heads up competition for a year or so.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Good news from Omega today. I sent in my SMP for service in mid May and was told it'd be 5-6 months but I got the call that it is back today. 2 months to the day. The salesman said I had perfect timing as it seems they actually started working on new arrivals before getting to the backlog of watches sent in pre-COVID.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got my first Omega recently....Seamaster 2254.50. Put a new bracelet on my old trusty Seiko 6309-7049 that I bought new in 1985/6..cant remember exactly. So been a good watch month for me... Wink

Posts: 64 | Registered: July 16, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rchermanjr:
Got my first Omega recently....Seamaster 2254.50. Put a new bracelet on my old trusty Seiko 6309-7049 that I bought new in 1985/6..cant remember exactly. So been a good watch month for me... Wink

This thread is in The Gallery! Pics! Smile

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
...it doesn’t have your typical ETA 2824-2 movement it has an ETA 2452 automatic movement with a 42 hour power reserve and beats at a much slower 18,000 bph compared to the 28,800 beat per hour rate of the fairly standard ETA 2824-2..

Normally I dislike small movements in larger watches, but I have to admit, the beat rate and the wicket cool reduction gears are tripping me out. My Moser beats at 18,000. 5Hz club!

Posts: 11383 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Disappointed... there are a couple of nasty smudges on the inside of the crystal. I did not notice them in-store with all of the bright lights. I'll take it back tomorrow but I really don't want to send it back off again.

They replaced a ton of parts...

Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Stickman: Love the Flieger. It's almost like it's flying under the radar its so cool.

Yellowjacket: Those smudges are terrible. I would send it back as well as that would drive me nuts.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Disappointed... there are a couple of nasty smudges on the inside of the crystal.

Okay, I worked at a Rolex service center, not an Omega service center, but that would never have left my bench. If it did, the service manager would have caught it in his QC inspection before it ever left the room. That is just unacceptable.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those smudges are unacceptable. That needs to be fixed, ASAP and at their cost.

I never would have let that leave my bench, nor should any service manager or QC person pass that as acceptable.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My new to me Omega Seamaster 300M 2254.50

My Citizen Eco Drive B741 Aqualand 200M diver

My old reliable Seiko 6309-7049 bought in 1985/1986 overseas while in military...wore it 24/7 no matter at home, in ocean, in woods, on deployment, at range, working on old Land Cruiser, etc....and it shows.

Posts: 64 | Registered: July 16, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rchermanjr:
My new to me Omega Seamaster 300M 2254.50

I’ve got the same watch, and it used to be the watch I wore most often. I’m probably going to sell it soon though as I don’t think I’ve worn it in 6 months. Now that I’ve got two Rolexes with the glide lock clasp that’s about all I wear. I am absolutely head over heels in love with that glide lock clasp and I never wear my bracelet watches without that feature anymore.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Disappointed... there are a couple of nasty smudges on the inside of the crystal. I did not notice them in-store with all of the bright lights. I'll take it back tomorrow but I really don't want to send it back off again.

Damn! I'm surprised they gave you the old parts. A certain other repair center worries that you might sell them and thus hurt the brand's reputation.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
certain other repair center

rduckwor, just say Rolex lol, the whole world knows.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
quote:

Damn! I'm surprised they gave you the old parts. A certain other repair center worries that you might sell them and thus hurt the brand's reputation.

RMD

How much will you give me for these? Big Grin

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
A Seiko SRPD37J1, which they call "Mockingbird." Stickman was certainly right about it being a Seiko Presage. These are 40.5mm, which is a good size for my big arm. I like the green, and don't have a green watch. They have Seiko's 4R35, a mid-grade auto that winds and hacks. The 4R35 isn't going to win any beauty contests, but it has a display back, which is cool.

I have a new strap on order because, as usual, the supplied strap is still a bit tight even on the last hole. I found a company in Vietnam that has a crocodile strap for under $100, so we'll see. I couldn't see spending as much on the strap as the watch, which a croc strap from anywhere else would be.

This has a deployant buckle and it came with the short/buckle half on the 6:00 side of the watch. Is that normal for deployant straps? I switched it as it looked backwards to my eye.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post