A revival of the Watch thread

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9666031561/m/6290029643

July 06, 2020, 07:46 PM
r0gue
A revival of the Watch thread
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Is that a power reserve indicator or a means to regulate the watch?

It’s the Power Reserve / gas gauge.

July 06, 2020, 07:47 PM
r0gue
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Seven days of power reserve!? Dang. I like that they hid the power reserve indicator on the back rather than clutter up the dial.

It actually runs a good bit longer than 7. I didn’t fully wind it and got over 8 days out of it.

July 06, 2020, 08:32 PM
stickman428
I think I have a new favorite dial. The specs on this Mido Multifort Chronometer are quite impressive but what really sold me though were two things #1 that dial and #2 a screw down crown and 100m water resistance. Well, I suppose that amazing movement didn’t hurt either.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/yIu8hNUAZO0

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance
July 06, 2020, 08:47 PM
sgalczyn
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
The watch looks like a group assignment when a budding watch building genius and a pimp are placed together some kind of collaborative assignment from hell that somehow turns out ok and unique but still awful in some ways.

I'm thinking you and I aren't the target market for this watch.

"No matter where you go - there you are"
July 07, 2020, 08:16 AM
stickman428
The Mido Milfort Chronometer is a VERY accurate watch. This has the Powermatic80 movement but with a few modifications. Mido decided to enhance its flagship movement – the Caliber 80 – with a silicon balance-spring. I suppose being a COSC-certified chronometer I shouldn’t be at all surprised by the performance of this watch thus far.

My first Mido watch did not disappoint. I was torn between the Milfort Chronometer and their titanium dive watch. Since I have a ton of divers (no titanium watches yet) I decided to go with the more dressy watch. That blue dial and movement sold me.

Swatch group has some heavy hitters in its bull pen.

I can’t wait until this movement finds its way into a Tissot, Hamilton or Mido dive watch!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

July 07, 2020, 11:47 AM
Mars_Attacks
The Mido movement is the new ETA caliber 80. Made completely on automated equipment with the silicon hairspring that they are putting in all Silicum80 movements now.

It was originally developed by Omega, released into Longines' higher end models and now standard on the new movements.

It was mass produced by the Tissot manufacturing facility under ETA's supervision.

Hamilton and Tissot are using them now. in fast most SWATCH Group entry level watches use the new Silicum80 now.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.
July 07, 2020, 12:01 PM
stickman428
I doubt they are regulating the silicon main spring versions in 5 positions and at various temps though. They did that with this movement. Honestly though the non silicon Powermatic80 is pretty damn impressive this just improves on an already VERY VERY VERY good movement.

For the money this thing is insanely good. 80hr power reserve, COSC certified, 100m WR and a gorgeous dial and all this for less than a grand. To me it’s the perfect watch and a hell of a bargain when you consider what you get for your money.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

July 07, 2020, 12:14 PM
Mars_Attacks
They are free sprung, too!

Sellita and STP are now old technology!

Definitely giving Japan's Miyota a run for their money now!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
July 07, 2020, 01:52 PM
stickman428
Has Miyota made a bidirectional winding movement yet? I don’t have any real problems with their movements, they are quite accurate but The unidirectional winding is kind of annoying....especially that spinning sound it makes from time to time when it’s spun too far in one direction and tries to balance out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

July 07, 2020, 03:28 PM
Mars_Attacks
Yes, they even have hacking and quickset dates now.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
July 09, 2020, 08:54 AM
stickman428
rOgue, how did they manage to achieve such a long power reserve? 8 days?! I thought it was incredible when my Tissot lasted over 80 hours but 8 days is just incredible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

July 10, 2020, 05:30 AM
r0gue
quote:
rOgue, how did they manage to achieve such a long power reserve? 8 days?! I thought it was incredible when my Tissot lasted over 80 hours but 8 days is just incredible.

Well, the reason they tout is that they use two barrels in their movements, each with Nivaflex winding springs. This is true of course, but it occurs to me that in addition to that, they also run their movements at a relatively slower 18,000/hour rate, which is more efficient than more common, faster rates. You can almost get your eye to focus on that balance swinging. Love it!

July 11, 2020, 06:11 PM
r0gue
Things are a little slow around here this weekend...

July 11, 2020, 06:39 PM
stickman428
Very nice rOgue! Way more fancy than what I’m rocking today. Big Grin The Strapcode engineer bracelet is a HUGE improvement over the factory bracelet in not just feel but looks as well.

Last year Macy’s was clearing these babies out for $210 so I bought two but I now wish I had bought at least 5 of them at that price! Eek

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

July 11, 2020, 07:43 PM
petr
Rogue, it looks to be about an hour and two minutes slow... Wink
July 11, 2020, 10:17 PM
stickman428
Are Doxa watches any good? Any models to avoid? I like some of their orange dial divers but truth be told I know very little about the brand. Doxa has flown under my radar until recently.

They have a few models that look quite similar to the Seiko mini turtle in case shape and crown location. (I really like that) Some of the Seiko Doxa homage watches are pretty neat looking too. I want to build one while I learn more about the Doxa brand.

Mini turtle mod left Doxa on the right

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

July 12, 2020, 06:07 AM
r0gue
I've never had one, but Doxa has tempted me on and off for a few years now.

July 12, 2020, 06:29 AM
hray

I have a few and bought my wife a sea nymph years ago that she loves. I don't think there's any model to stay away from some or closer in spec to the originals from the 60s and 70s

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP
July 12, 2020, 06:56 AM
vthoky
quote:
Last year Macy’s was clearing these babies out for $210 so I bought two but I now wish I had bought at least 5 of them at that price! Eek

I wish you had, too! Cool

God bless America.
July 12, 2020, 10:11 AM
stickman428
Ok watch enthusiasts what’s wrong with this pic? Confused Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~