SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I was this close to pulling the trigger on a Hamilton Khaki. Then my truck started spraying steer fluid. Frown

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
goose5, were you looking at the newer examples with the Powermatic80?

I love to scoop up preowned watches but with the Hamilton Khaki many have the older 2834-2 or 2824-2 movement. In my experience the new Powermatic80 (Hamilton calls it the Hamilton Calibre H-40) blows them out of the water, it has great accuracy and consistency. I have two watches with Powermatic80 movements and they keep almost identical time. It’s almost like owning two eco drive radio waves that sync every night and tick away in perfect synchronization.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21106 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
Rogue, I am suffering from withdrawal.

I bet if I made this a poll it would be a unanimous vote for you to continue your purchases, post them, and let us continue to enjoy the parade.

Haha! Smile Thank you for the compliment, but with Summer upon us, and a few good summer options restored in the collection, I'm unlikely to do much (but for possibly a few sales) until fall. My little tour was truly decades of watches in-and-out. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if I do one or maybe two by year end. There are two in particular that I have an open request for at their respective ADs. If I got "the call" they would be in my collection. In both cases, that is exceedingly unlikely.

Posts: 11385 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
Rogue, I am suffering from withdrawal.

I bet if I made this a poll it would be a unanimous vote for you to continue your purchases, post them, and let us continue to enjoy the parade.

Haha! Smile Thank you for the compliment, but with Summer upon us, and a few good summer options restored in the collection, I'm unlikely to do much (but for possibly a few sales) until fall. My little tour was truly decades of watches in-and-out. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if I do one or maybe two by year end. There are two in particular that I have an open request for at their respective ADs. If I got "the call" they would be in my collection. In both cases, that is exceedingly unlikely.

Your invisible friends will be waiting in anticipation...

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
I was this close to pulling the trigger on a Hamilton Khaki.

LOVE the Hamilton Khaki. (I know stickman does, too.) Cool
I'd buy one again, though I'd be tempted to check out their quartz mechanism next time.

(Or maybe another automatic. Maybe.) Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13497 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Get that automatic Vthoky. Wink Hamilton divers are just exquisite in my experience. I’m up to three of them now but one needs service and one is a completely beaten to hell somewhat hard to find silver dial Khaki King Scuba quartz. I know you’ve wanted that one for a while. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21106 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
I was this close to pulling the trigger on a Hamilton Khaki.

LOVE the Hamilton Khaki. (I know stickman does, too.) Cool
I'd buy one again, though I'd be tempted to check out their quartz mechanism next time.

(Or maybe another automatic. Maybe.) Wink

I was looking at the Khaki PVD Quartz.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Khaki PVD Quartz.

Nice!

God bless America.

Posts: 13497 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
Wow, kz - after all these years the lume on that Kriegsmarine watch is still visible. Do you know what lume material was used for those watches?

Originally would have been radium, usually it's been removed since it's hazardous. I'm assuming it's been relumed with tritium. I tried the same thing with a regular flashlight, it had no effect. So definitely radioactive.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
On the way to Michigan, I stupidly dropped my Seiko Orange Knight, it hit the concrete, and it doesn't self wind now. I picked this up to tide me over until I get the Seiko fixed or replaced:

I know, it's not mechanical. But it has a compass built in as well as a barometer, and thermometer. The barometer is accurate and as long as the over all air pressure in the area doesn't change, it's altimeter is fairly accurate. I'm a little disappointet the thermometer doesn't work when the watch is worn (affected by body heat) or in the sun. It's solar though and has something like a 6 month reserve when fully charged. I won't have to worry about having to wind it and set it if I don't wear it for few days.

Speaking of setting it, I set the time two weeks ago using time.gov and it's still dead on. I was a little worried the first week when I noticed it was 16 seconds off from the time reported on my GPS. Turns out thats ok because GPS time doesn't use leap seconds, which I had no clue even existed.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
I have had my eye on the Breitling Avenger Blackbird for a while.

I'm not a fan of the big stainless steel Avengers. I like Breitlings in general but am very picky about what I will actually buy and wear. I've had an Aerospace forever and got a Navitimer many years ago.

The Avenger Blackbird is on billboards all over Asia. I walk out of the hotel in Hong Kong and there is a three story tall billboard with the Avenger Blackbird. This is directly above a (legit) watch shop. Do they have the watch? Nope.

Same answer for the last 18 months. No one has this watch.

I was in Sydney yesterday and I went to the Watches of Switzerland shop just off the Rocks. I have bought many watches there lately because the US dollar is so strong against the Aussie dollar and they can sell the watch without collecting tax. Meaning you don't have to go get a refund of the VAT - the customs guy just takes the form and away you go tax free.

They had a Blackbird in the store. They said it was the last one - who knows. The prices in the stores are still set at when the Aussie dollar and the US dollar were even. So after I haggle a bit I just nod my head and say "yes" knowing that I am getting the instant 30% exchange rate discount. No tax is the icing on the cake.

Long way to say fellas that I got a watch that I have been chasing for a while. Only had it 24 hours but it is light and I am loving it!

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Picked up this Elgin Deluxe on a vintage strap yesterday. In comparison to the rest of my watches save my Museum Sport, it's a lot smaller. It probably needs a service, it runs slow but overall is in nice condition. The dial has a really nice patina. Sorry for the photo quality.

Elgin Deluxe by Brad Benzing, on Flickr

Posts: 11222 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
That's a beauty, Brad!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Something a bit different than my usual diver. A dress watch. For $99 and sporting a real ETA 2824-2 I’m impressed. Swatch made some good watches for CK. I was impressed enough to pull the trigger on the slightly more expensive silver dial version. It’s worth it for the parts alone. Swatch won’t be making any more of these for CK so when they are gone they are gone. I’d planned on changing the dial but I love the how part of the minute track is raised.

I had it on mesh briefly but prefer it on leather.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
stickman428,
The black dial CK Infinite Automatic appears to be sold out everywhere as are some other versions like a blue dial. It had been only available @ $99 as a daily deal on jomashop. All that seems to be left on any sites are a silver dial with bracelet @ $150 and a silver dial in a rose gold case with a brown alligator strap @ $139.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
You are correct. They even sold out of the skeletonized dial/movement version with the PVD black case. Frown I was about to get one.

I pulled the trigger on the silver dial version for $150. The bracelet is not hard to adjust but it does require a bit of effort to remove the pins.

I really like the black dial along with a Tsao Baltimore black leather strap I had sitting around. The bronze buckle matches bits of the movement inside but otherwise it does look a bit odd and it’s huge.

It’s a good all rounder/ dress watch and for the money a stupid good deal. (The $150 watch is still IMO a great deal)

Skinny as heck case (10mm)
Sapphire crystal (top)
Real ETA 2824-2
Display case back
22mm lugs so endless strap/bracelet options
Quality manufacturer (Swatch)

The shape of the case and even the polishing is worlds better than I expected. The sides are polished to a shine while the tops of the lugs have a brushed finish that left vertical lines and extra texture on top of being raised/stepped up already. It’s a fantastic case for a custom watch build. Hell, I like it quite a bit as it is surprisingly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
That's a beauty, Brad!

Thanks. The movement on these old watches are really cool.

Posts: 11222 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
You are correct. They even sold out of the skeletonized dial/movement version with the PVD black case. Frown I was about to get one.

I stand corrected as it appears Ashford still has the black dial with black leather strap for $130.

Youtube reviews: https://youtu.be/0oV-UlRCzyo
https://youtu.be/v6xu2mPLUTk

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:

Vintage Elgins are very nice as is your DeLuxe. I have been doing a lots of vintage Bulova's lately. Man, they have some weird case designs!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
Picked up this Elgin Deluxe on a vintage strap yesterday. In comparison to the rest of my watches save my Museum Sport, it's a lot smaller. It probably needs a service, it runs slow but overall is in nice condition. The dial has a really nice patina. Sorry for the photo quality.

That is a beautiful watch.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post