SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44: I got an A- in English ....

You're not alone in the misuse of the apostrophe-s; it's so common that it's become my pet peeve, so I point it out whenever I see it. With exceptions so rare that they can be all but ignored, an apostrophe-s NEVER makes a word plural; it makes a singular possessive. If one NEVER used an apostrophe-s, one would probably be right more often than wrong.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Anyone here snag one of Elshan Tang’s latest works of art? I got #45 out of 100.

I like the lugs treatment. Nice!

Posts: 11385 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
We're in the end game now -- just a few more to go.
This one snuck under the wire in in late 2019 and it departed a little over a month ago.

Blancpain Bathyscaphe

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The tall crystal on that Zelos probably wouldn't last long on my wrist. I find myself bumping the case on the Citizen quite a bit.

That's a nice Blancpain, rogue, looks just a bit big for me.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15315 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Anyone here snag one of Elshan Tang’s latest works of art? I got #45 out of 100.

I like the lugs treatment. Nice!

I was thinking the same thing. Like a Sig SAS Big Grin

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
r0gue, and others whose watches tend to come and go, would you say you:
A. Take a bath when you sell a watch
B. Slightly lose money
C. Break even
D. Slightly make money
E. Make a nice profit

I'm guessing mostly B and C in the short term on higher end watches. Probably B in the lower ranges. And probably D over the long run on high end stuff.

Obviously feel free to not answer if you don't want. And if course I know the goal is to enjoy the watch, not make money on it.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LMLarsen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44: I got an A- in English ....

You're not alone in the misuse of the apostrophe-s; it's so common that it's become my pet peeve, so I point it out whenever I see it. With exceptions so rare that they can be all but ignored, an apostrophe-s NEVER makes a word plural; it makes a singular possessive. If one NEVER used an apostrophe-s, one would probably be right more often than wrong.

I love you guys!

Posts: 271 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
r0gue, and others whose watches tend to come and go, would you say you:
A. Take a bath when you sell a watch
B. Slightly lose money
C. Break even
D. Slightly make money
E. Make a nice profit

It totally depends on the buy. Did you buy it new and pay retail? ... and tax? Eek Did you buy it used, and you got a fair deal? A great deal? Is it a cheaper watch, a more expensive watch? Did you buy something nobody else really wants, or is it crazy desirable?

Generally I stay pretty close to even nowadays. It's just experience. That Bathyscaphe cost me nothing to own for the time I owned it because I bought it used, and bought it right. My Sub date was bought new and passed off to someone else even money. So again, I owned and enjoyed it for nothing. For sure, the more expensive the watch, the more likely I am to get out even or make money. The cheaper it is, the more likely I am to lose money on it, but it's typically a tiny amount, because the price of the watch is smaller.

I've made a few errors early on. And in particular some opportunity cost errors in selling watches that went way up in value after I sold them. But overall, I'm very very close to even (down a bit) over two decades of watch enjoyment. I've no regrets over the money expended. But the time I've expended on this hobby is another matter. That certainly concerns me far far more.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: r0gue,

Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
Crossed one more off my 'Want List', a Big Crown Pointer Date. Came with a leather band, but it was pretty stiff. I swapped it out for a Horween Derby leather strap, waaay better.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1311 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tooky13:
Crossed one more off my 'Want List', a Big Crown Pointer Date...

I've been close on that watch multiple times. Wonderful design, multiple sized, excellent color selection. I'm amazed it hasn't yet passed my doorstep. Congrats!

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
This was a new model for Seiko in 2020. I thought it would come off as white, but it was far more opal or golden-white. In short, I hated it. I tried an Uncle Seiko "President Bracelet" and that didn't help. Only 20 days in the collection, and much of that time waiting for the bracelet to try.

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
The final broken watch from my dad's collection.
Back from service running well. Waltham no second hand trench.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Get to the Choppah!!!

Even though I was bruised a bit by Seiko's Alpinist new release for 2020, I couldn't resist the Arnie. It's as bonkers as Uncle Arnie himself, and I love it!

Delivered on April 1st, while I was in lock down and working from home, the date code indicates it was made in December of 2019. You can probably guess where it was made. Again, just b0nKers... Together, we are survivors.

Only two left guys... This was a fun way to put in a pandemic! Can you believe the tour started on page 225!? Thanks for putting up with my thread-hogging daily posts. Smile

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That new Arnie is a cool watch! I’ve been tempted to scoop one up but I’m gonna hold out for that new Apocalypse Now Turtle in green.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I can’t believe I got another one of these things. A deal came my way that I couldn’t resist and now I own a Seiko PADI Kinetic (full kit!). This one is waaaaay more aesthetically pleasing than my black and gold 50th anniversary edition. The lume on these things is just incredible. It’s a great travel watch if you can find a strap you like for it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Way cool, stick! I haven't seen a Kinetic in a while.
I have a Kinetic I bought right after college. I'd buy another, for sure.

God bless America.

Posts: 13497 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Only Kinetic I ever owned: a 1997 SKJ048P1 with a 5M43 movement. Very lightweight titanium piece, I moved on and gifted one of my sons with it. He still wears it and it runs fine although the capacitor has been replaced several times. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Anyone here know much about the UN Maxi Marine?

I've seen them up close and liked certain dials, the bracelets were absolutely the best.

Not a fan of the rubber strap, but overall I like these but I don't hear much about them.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Only two more to go!!!

Omega Speedmaster Professional (ST 345.0808) circa 1994. In 1994, you could get a Speedmaster with a Hesalite crystal over a tritium dial and a sapphire crystal over a lovely gilt cal. 863. I had noted these in the past, but I can't say I was actively hunting. But I was able to work a trade on this Speedy and I can honestly say I'll never let this one go.

Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
If this is your third to last watch r0gue, you must have just got it recently, congrats! Seeing the full mechanism without a rotor is a real thing of beauty. Almost makes you want to reverse the band and wear the bottom side out Cool.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1311 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post