SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
To that end, I just bought one of these Orient Star Classics from a friend of a friend who was clearing out some of his (rather abundant) inventory of watches.

What is the function of the semi-dial at the top that only goes to 40?

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
To that end, I just bought one of these Orient Star Classics from a friend of a friend who was clearing out some of his (rather abundant) inventory of watches.

I believe that's the 40 hour power reserve indicator.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1308 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
It's a "power reserve" indicator. It shows how many hours of running time are left on the mainspring. It'll show a full 40 hours after being completely wound, for example, and run down as the mainspring unwinds. Edit: Oops. I just saw that Tooky13 already answered. His reply was on a new page on my computer, so I didn't see it until I hit [Reply].

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Japanese watch makers seem to love power reserve complications far more than Swiss makers.

I'm not saying that no Swiss makers have them, but Japanese makers put them on more watches, and more often as the only complication other than a date wheel. It seems Swiss watches that have power reserve complications as part of a mulitiplicity of complications.

I am not a fan of them myself as they don't tell me anything I really want to know. But that Orient is a good-looking watch.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
So the new white sandy texture dial Phoibos Proteus is more of a sandy silver dial. In photos it comes off more white than it actually is.

It’s got a Seiko Samurai feel to it. Hard flat angular sides. The dial looks more like a Seiko Monster. For the money I am quite pleased.

First impression: I REALLY like it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Very interesting facets to the care and bracelet. I like the UN style date and the Milgauss style second hand. Very fun!

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It’s a fun watch. The bezel action is superb! Best I have experienced on a Phoibos watch. Perfect alignment is spot on and the bezel has a loud positive clicking with very little play. I suppose it feels like a smaller Seiko Samurai.

Overall, it’s an impressive watch. The sandy texture dial is very similar to my vintage style Glycine Combat Sub....it’s beautiful. Under an overcast sky it looks white at times and silver at others depending on the lighting. It’s a neat dial.

Very cool lume

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Japanese watch makers seem to love power reserve complications far more than Swiss makers.

I'm not saying that no Swiss makers have them, but Japanese makers put them on more watches, and more often as the only complication other than a date wheel. It seems Swiss watches that have power reserve complications as part of a mulitiplicity of complications.

I am not a fan of them myself as they don't tell me anything I really want to know. But that Orient is a good-looking watch.
Ya know, it almost precluded me buying the watch because I really dislike additional things cluttering the face I find little value in. In the end I liked the overall looks, the champagne face, and the gold hands against a stainless case so much that I went ahead and pulled the trigger on it. Now I just need to find a place and excuse to wear it given its not really a jeans and t-shirt kinda watch. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I bought this from Dave Truong, owned it a short while and sold it to my brother. He "sock draw time capsuled" it for a full decade as he was afraid to wear it for fear he would scratch it or something. I bought it back, and had the RSC overhaul it (no-polish), and I had them Coke the bezel. I'm very lucky to have it back in my very small collection. These older models are getting a little tough to get.

This pic was taken at a high school football game on a crisp fall night. I sure hope we can have those this year.

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I wanted a GMT Master II when I bought my EXPII.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Rolex GMT designs are among their best watches, and those older ones are much better looking to my eyes than the newer ones.

That is a keeper.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
I bought this from Dave Truong, owned it a short while and sold it to my brother. He "sock draw time capsuled" it for a full decade as he was afraid to wear it for fear he would scratch it or something. I bought it back, and had the RSC overhaul it (no-polish), and I had them Coke the bezel. I'm very lucky to have it back in my very small collection. These older models are getting a little tough to get.

This pic was taken at a high school football game on a crisp fall night. I sure hope we can have those this year.

Man, I'm torn... I love Coca-Cola but I hate the UGA Bulldogs.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Spotted this and thought I'd share in case any are interested in this model:

https://www.macys.com/shop/pro...ARE-_-5-_-63-_-MP563

Seiko SNE49 Caliber V157
LIMITED EDITION Men's Solar Prospex PADI Special Edition Diver Blue Silicone Strap Watch 46.7mm 200m

Orig. $450.00
Now $225.00 (50% off)
Free ship

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16194 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Bald1 that’s one of them! I remember seeing that super skinny watch. Very cool!

That’s a good deal on the solar. I’d get one but I’ve got too many solar watches already.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Today's stop in the tour. The Laco Kempten B-Uhr in a 39mm case. Laco makes a few tiers of B-Uhr and this is their more true to the original upper tier, which is also offered in many sizes all the way up to the Replica of the original, in 55mm! This was actually a very enjoyable watch. Employing a manual wound ETA 2801.2 Elabore tied to a wonderfully large crown in interact with. It was incredibly legible and beautiful with gorgeous heat blued hands. I do miss this watch from time to time... Like now.

Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
^^^ I really like that layout, with separate dials for the hour and minute hands, very cool! I can see why it's so legible.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1308 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Spotted this and thought I'd share in case any are interested in this model:

https://www.macys.com/shop/pro...ARE-_-5-_-63-_-MP563

Seiko SNE49 Caliber V157
LIMITED EDITION Men's Solar Prospex PADI Special Edition Diver Blue Silicone Strap Watch 46.7mm 200m

Orig. $450.00
Now $225.00 (50% off)
Free ship

I have too many watches
I have too many watches
I have too many watches

Frown

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Smiths PRS 29 Air Military. This is a simple ETA2801 three hander in a tidy 36mm case. I really enjoyed it a lot. The heat blued hands were superb. While I have several close up shots of the watch, this one is actually one of my better pics of it, because in photographs it tends to appear more off-white/cream, but to the eye, it looked very close to white most of the time.

Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
The Dragon has landed… got the Helm Komodo yesterday that I bought a couple of weeks ago. Still very impressed with these watches. This one’s a little smaller than the Khuraburi I got a couple of months ago, but still not a small watch. Despite being chunky, they both wear well. I’ve got a 7 ½” wrist and I’m comfortable with either of them. It comes on a NATO strap, but I put the bracelet on so that I could size it. I normally prefer a leather strap, so I’ll probably switch it out. But for now, I’m kinda liking the way this one wears. The second photo is after I came in from outdoors and you can see what the lume is like, even in daylight.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tooky13,

Abraham Lincoln

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Today's stop in the tour. The Laco Kempten B-Uhr in a 39mm case. Laco makes a few tiers of B-Uhr and this is their more true to the original upper tier, which is also offered in many sizes all the way up to the Replica of the original, in 55mm! This was actually a very enjoyable watch. Employing a manual wound ETA 2801.2 Elabore tied to a wonderfully large crown in interact with. It was incredibly legible and beautiful with gorgeous heat blued hands. I do miss this watch from time to time... Like now.

I've got my A-uhr model on today. I still am very fond of mine.

It made an appearance in this thread previously, but mine is the 45mm version without the separate hour and minute "dials." 45mm is big, but I have big wrists, and it doesn't look too big on my arm. As rOgue said, the originals were 55mm and were pocket watches on straps. The German air force wore them outside their flight suits on long, doubled over straps.

The B version was worn by navigators, who the Germans thought needed to be more careful about being certain of both the hours and minutes to navigate. The A models were worn by pilots, who, I guess, didn't need to be so careful.