SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Those Explorers are so nice, I decided to get one.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Dusty - LOVE that watch! I have come so close to pulling the trigger on one many times, but keep putting it off. As much as I like it, I've finally come to accept that I'm only wearing one at a time, and having another great watch like that would just leave something else out, or it.

I'll have one eventually, but will be after selling one of the two chronos I've got now I think.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12413 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Those Explorers are so nice, I decided to get one.

The Explorer is a classic with a stellar new bracelet and a phenomenal new movement in the 3132. Parachrome hairspring AND Paraflex shock protection.

Posts: 11379 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
I went with the classic. Always wanted one. They are so versatile. I'd had an older version white Explorer II for more than 15 years (my first good watch, but now departed), and the new ones just look a little balloon-ish to me.

I like this image of it, looks great to me!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
rOgue, did you get a plain Explorer or an Explorer II?

I went with the classic. Always wanted one. They are so versatile. I'd had an older version white Explorer II for more than 15 years (my first good watch, but now departed), and the new ones just look a little balloon-ish to me.

Another watch with classic good looks!

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Raidersrule
posted Hide Post
I have been after a black case Omega watch for years but just can't seem to find one in my price range.

Anyone know of a good and reputable place to buy a used watch of that sort of quality?

-----------------
"What if... What if grasshoppers carried .45s? Then maybe birds wouldn't **** with them so much?"

Matt Graham, Graham Combat
Discussing what if scenarios regarding cover/crowding

"Our wonderful citizenry expect the worst from police and the great majority of the time, they simply get the best."

Posts: 2873 | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raidersrule:
I have been after a black case Omega watch for years but just can't seem to find one in my price range.

Anyone know of a good and reputable place to buy a used watch of that sort of quality?

Call David Troung.

Posts: 12920 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Hamilton makes some nice automatics that won't break the bank.

True. I do like my Khaki Automatic, and it certainly wasn't outrageous in price.

quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
manual wind Hamilton Khaki Officer that I have seen for about $550

Nice!

God bless America.

Posts: 13492 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anybody familiar with Princeton Watches in Ohio? They have a Seiko that I'm interested in (Dave doesn't carry Seiko any more).

http://www.princetonwatches.com/

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9154 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
I envy some of you with your nice watches. I'm in a position somewhat like a Jiffy Lube employee who gets to change the oil on a Rolls Royce: I've had my hands on some really nice watches -- even played around inside a few -- but they're WAY out of my price range.

Last month my old Swatch Irony that I got when I was in watchmaker's school finally gave out, so I bought myself a Seiko 5...also known as a PMGS (Poor Man's Grand Seiko). If I ever win the lottery I'll get myself a real one, but for now this will have to do.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BrianO,

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
BrianO, that's a great watch, but truly, you know that. Love the legibility and simplicity.

It's all just fun! Enjoy the Seiko!

Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue: BrianO, that's a great watch... Love the legibility and simplicity.

Yeah, that's what attracted me most. I am going to have to crack it open and make some adjustments, though; it's gaining 35 seconds per day, which I consider unacceptable even for a non-chronometer.

I don't have a Witschi watch analyzer like I used to use, so it'll have to be trial and error over a week or two. Should be...uh...fun.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
Seiko 5...

Sweet. Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13492 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
I agree. That is one classy watch BrianO!

Posts: 4027 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Brian - like it!
Are all the days blue, or just Sat?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12413 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That is a good looking one, BrianO. Those are very nice. Good choice.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I repurposed a very special blue alligator strap with curved spring bar ends for use on my Zenith El Primero. The blue sub dial linked to the strap immediately creating a whole different animal.

It's the reason I love strap watches. I truly only have a few watches, but I can recreate them over and over.

WhattaYaThink?

Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Brian - like it! Are all the days blue, or just Sat?

The color balance of my camera is a bit off; Saturday actually has green letters, Sunday is red, and the other days are black.

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
I repurposed a very special blue alligator strap with curved spring bar ends for use on my Zenith El Primero. The blue sub dial linked to the strap immediately creating a whole different animal.

It's the reason I love strap watches. I truly only have a few watches, but I can recreate them over and over.

WhattaYaThink?

Looks great! Wish I could be a strap guy, but I just sweat too much down here.

Nylon, yes, that's O.K., I can wash them; but expensive leather, Pweeeew! after a while.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That is why I don't use straps. Too sweaty. They are uncomfortable when damp, they get smelly, and the hardware tends to corrode where it touches wet leather on straps that don't have stainless or gold buckles.