SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tooky13:
... my latest pick-up, a Porsche Design. ...

I like it! There've been a few of the more vintagesque Porsche Designs that have called to me in the past. Coincidentally, the only one I'd ever pulled the trigger on is up next (tomorrow) in my "tour through every watch I ever owned"..

Posts: 11379 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Zodiac Kingline 36000 Chronometer. Ok, this one was really just quite a watch really. An officially certified chronometer, this watch had the 36,000 beats per hour Zodiac caliber 88 movement that came from the factory with a time keeping ability well above COSC standards for a chronometer. The seven (7) adjustment to position, caliber 88 movement was guaranteed by Zodiac to keep time within one (1) minute a month. This timekeeping ability was roughly 2.5 times greater than the requirements of a COSC certified chronometer.

And best of all, if you pushed in on the crown, it advanced the date. A very gratifying and tactile way to flip the date. It was really just wicked cool. I actually just went to my spreadsheet to figure out why the hell I sold this one, and that Vulcain, as I love vintage and tritium. But now I see I was obviously raising funds for the heavy heavy impact of a TRUE grail watch purchase. And it was no easy feat. So.... I forgive myself..

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That Zodiac is gorgeous. How hard is it to get it serviced? I wonder how expensive or hard it is to find a good person to service a movement like that?

rOgue, what are your thoughts on Seiko’s Presage 1964 throwback? They are only making 1964 of them in each color and the Seiko logo is applied. I like it but find that for that price tag it probably should have a display case back but at least it has the upgraded 6R35 movement with 70 hours of power reserve. It has a nice vintage vibe going on as well as being a hybrid of sorts with it’s style falling somewhere in between a diver and a dress watch.

The original

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
So many great watches in this thread.

I purchased a Citizen Promaster Nighthawk BX1010-11L (now renamed Avion and available with a black face) from Dave. The blue dial, perpetual calendar, and time zone features spoke to me.
stock photo

What didn't speak to me as much was the leather strap. I like(ed) it, but really want a bracelet. I tried asking Dave for help, and Citizen offered him nothing. I tried Citizen myself with no success. I gave up.

Recently, I took a chance with Amazon and purchased this:

It worked!!

Now, the quest for a Citizen bracelet has been renewed. Could you guys tell me which of these would work? I don't want to order the wrong item and yank a seller around. The lug width is 22mm.

Option 1

Option 2

I don't understand the difference and I don't understand why Citizen doesn't offer a bracelet option for this watch.

Thank in advance.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
ffips, I’m not sure which one of those would work. It’ll be kinda hard to figure out which one will work if Citizen never offered a bracelet for that watch. Is there a similar model with the same case that came with a bracelet option? If so I’d get the part # for it and go that route. Since 22mm is a very common size how do you feel about going with straight end link instead? You would be wide open with different styles and options to choose from.

Link to Strapcode straight end link bracelet

There will be a little bit of a gap between the case and the end link like on this Steinhart but compatibility issues are much less likely and it would allow you to use that bracelet on multiple watches.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
I am not totally opposed to straight, though rounded would be preferred. I thought contacting Citizen would make it easy but I got nowhere. If it isn't offered, they have no way to cross reference. I'll have to figure out the case and find a similar model as you suggest. The last trip down that path was fruitless as most similar had 23mm lugs. Appreciate the help.

The bracelet you linked looks great.

Part of my struggle is wanting a Citizen branded bracelet...

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I wonder how expensive or hard it is to find a good person to service a movement like that? .....

rOgue, what are your thoughts on Seiko’s Presage 1964 throwback?

I don't know if it would be tough or not. Probably a little tricky.

I like the Seiko. I did a quick Google search. If they're only $800, they're worth it I think.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: r0gue,

Picture of LMLarsen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
I am not totally opposed to straight, though rounded would be preferred. I thought contacting Citizen would make it easy but I got nowhere. If it isn't offered, they have no way to cross reference. I'll have to figure out the case and find a similar model as you suggest. The last trip down that path was fruitless as most similar had 23mm lugs. Appreciate the help.

The bracelet you linked looks great.

Part of my struggle is wanting a Citizen branded bracelet...

When I got my original Nighthawk, it came with a synthetic band, but I found a Citizen bracelet for it on eBay from a guy in Thailand.

Posts: 271 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
1080's IWC Porsche Design Titanium reference 3330. This watch was powered by the IWC caliber 2210, and yes, it was and IWC Swiss Made quartz. It was also the thinnest, lightest most comfortable watch I ever wore. This was primarily due to the silicon band and titanium case and clasp. But also, in part due to the 32mm case which in the end, was just too small.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That thing is crazy skinny! That’s a cool design. Was it ever made in larger sizes? It is a bit small too. Was it Bald1 that also posted a cool super skinny quartz watch?

I’m trying out a new NATO strap on a sweet retro styled Glycine. I had forgotten how comfy a good NATO strap feels on the wrist! This watch itself has the perfect amount of red white & blue on it so it really works on this strap.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
That's a superb combo for the holiday!

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
That thing is crazy skinny! That’s a cool design. Was it ever made in larger sizes? It is a bit small too. Was it Bald1 that also posted a cool super skinny quartz watch?

I’m trying out a new NATO strap on a sweet retro styled Glycine. I had forgotten how comfy a good NATO strap feels on the wrist! This watch itself has the perfect amount of red white & blue on it so it really works on this strap.

Love that NATO. I have a few red/blue combos but no r/w/b.

On that skinny quartz, my FIL wears a super skinny Omega quartz dress watch that is close to that skinny. Definitely a tux watch if one were going to combine the two.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Stickman, for the photo. It looks good on you. Very much not too small. I like the pearl.

I think I could wear it. I have watches that size, and even on my gorilla arm, they work.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Was it Bald1 that also posted a cool super skinny quartz watch?

Probably this 38mm Bauhaus style no second hand number at just 9mm thick. Not quite as thin as r0gue's 6mm IWC. Smile

Or perhaps this 42mm Casio EFV-100L-7AVUEF 11mm thick Casio which looks to be inspired by Omega's Aqua Terra.

Sorry about the spots. Needed to clean my lens. Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:Sorry about the spots. Needed to clean my lens. Frown

Spots on lenses normally don't show in the photo because they are so far from the focal plane and from the subject. Most often, those spots are dust and/or oil droplets on the sensor. Cleaning should only be undertaken by those with specific knowledge of the techniques and tools. Otherwise, Photoshop is your friend.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:Sorry about the spots. Needed to clean my lens. Frown

Spots on lenses normally don't show in the photo because they are so far from the focal plane and from the subject. Most often, those spots are dust and/or oil droplets on the sensor. Cleaning should only be undertaken by those with specific knowledge of the techniques and tools. Otherwise, Photoshop is your friend.

True for regular cameras. These were shot with a cellphone and the tiny lens was dirty. A Q-tip was applied and later shots were dot free. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
According to my brother and good friend of mine, I have absolutely boring taste in watches given I don't care for Chronos, dual times, or pretty much anything else that might clutter up the face of a watch. I like what I refer to as 'simple elegance', styles that more aptly might be found in early 1900's timepieces. To that end, I just bought one of these Orient Star Classics from a friend of a friend who was clearing out some of his (rather abundant) inventory of watches. The watch was never worn and it ticks off all the boxes for me. Since its in the mail to me at the moment, here's my rather meager contribution to the thread compliments of the interwebs. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:...I just bought one of these Orient Star Classics

That's a very nice looking watch.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I like to get a fun carefree watch for beach vacations. For my "BeachWatch2018" I selected a Dan Henry model 1970. I absolutely >>>LOVED<<< Wink this watch. On a C&B Supreme NATO, it ticked every single box for the week at the beach. This was destined to be a long term keeper. Then... on the drive home over the PA mountains and transitioning from sea level to home, the crystal exploded. I was so disappointed.

Subsequently reading some online reports, it seemed others had experienced similar. I returned the watch.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
My friend has that Dan Henry but with the orange chapter ring. Nice watch. Crazy about it exploding! Is the second crown a helium valve?

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post