SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Nice Stickman! I've never tried Milanese mesh, but if I head deeper into vintage territory (which is possible), that could be on my list.

Posts: 11354 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I took a 2nd attempt at the 39mm Rolex Explorer. I thought the correction to lumed numerals and longer hands would do it for me. Surprisingly, in the end, I concluded that the watch should still be 36mm and not the 39mm that was affected by the update.

In the absence of ever having seen the original, I would say that this was a perfect watch. But since I'm a curmudgeon who hates change (and has smaller wrists), I ultimately decided I'd be slightly annoyed by that every time I wore it.

Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
I took a 2nd attempt at the 39mm Rolex Explorer. I thought the correction to lumed numerals and longer hands would do it for me. Surprisingly, in the end, I concluded that the watch should still be 36mm and not the 39mm that was affected by the update.

In the absence of ever having seen the original, I would say that this was a perfect watch. But since I'm a curmudgeon who hates change (and has smaller wrists), I ultimately decided I'd be slightly annoyed by that every time I wore it.

I'm surprised that you'd even consider this watch, considering that you own a Explorer II with the added benefit of being able to keep track of two time zones vs only one. FWIW: I think the "Polar" version with the orange hand is drop-dead beautiful.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
I'm surprised that you'd even consider this watch, considering that you own a Explorer II with the added benefit of being able to keep track of two time zones vs only one.

Remember this is a journey through all the watches I've ever owned, over a number of decades (this one entering in 2017, and exiting in 2018). At the point in which I owned this Explorer, I did not own any other Rolex. My first ExpII was traded in 2014. I didn't regain a Polar Explorer II until 2019, at which time, this Explorer 39mm was already long gone.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Control Date. With its roots in JLC's timeless classic design, this model was originally released in a smaller scale variant. Most recently it was 37mm, but that was discontinued. The one I bought was the latest 39mm variant. For the same reasons as that last watch, I just couldn't get that feeling out of my head, that something was wrong with the new scale.

This one was impossible for me to photograph well. Curves, shiny, radiant dial, blued second hand. Always trying to get focus on the applied indices. Dang, maybe I sold it because it was ticking me off!

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I LOVE micro brands. Anyone here get lucky and snag one of those Helm Komodo watches when they went on sale recently? They were supposed to go on sale at 7 pm eastern time Friday but due to demand Helm’s website crashed. They said they would do another sale later on but as soon as they fixed their website they put them up for sale and by the time I heard about it Helm was all sold out! Mad

Helm watches are DAMN hard to get from the manufacturer. I’m just not willing to pay EBay’s $400-550 price tag for a watch that retails for $315 shipped brand new and has a Seiko NH35A movement.

I gave up on getting a Helm Komodo and pulled the trigger on a Zelos Horizons GMT V2 launch edition instead. That Swiss ETA 2893 Elaboré Movement and unique lume is what sold me. It’ll be a few weeks before it’s in my possession but that’s ok. I preordered my first stainless steel cased Zelos. It was a bit more expensive than the Helm but it should be a decent watch. The price on these watches will go up $100-200 once the launch editions are all sold out.

I am loving the specs of this watch!!!
Frost: Fully BGW9 Lumed Dial and Fully Lumed Lower bezel

Horizons V2 Specifications

Case : 40mm Diameter, 20mm Lug width, 45mm Lug to Lug Length

Bezel: 38.5mm Bezel Diameter

Thickness: 11mm without crystal

Water Resistance : 200m

Crystal : Sapphire, thick vintage style 'Box' crystal (2.5mm above bezel) See-through Sapphire Caseback

Bezel Insert : Bi-directional 48 Clicks mounted on ball bearings, Lumed Sapphire insert

Movement : Swiss ETA 2893 Elaboré with custom rotor

Material : 316L SS Case

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I got a Komodo in the second round of offerings. I hesitated in the first round because of size. turned out fine.

If Matt Helm makes it, I will buy it. His watches ALWAYS punch above purchase price.

I have the first gen Vanuatu, and the first gen Khuriburi as well.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I LOVE micro brands. Anyone here get lucky and snag one of those Helm Komodo watches when they went on sale recently? They were supposed to go on sale at 7 pm eastern time Friday but due to demand Helm’s website crashed. They said they would do another sale later on but as soon as they fixed their website they put them up for sale and by the time I heard about it Helm was all sold out! Mad
[/url]

I did get a Komodo on the latest offering. I was ready to go on Friday afternoon when the site crashed after one sale and figured they'd reschedule in a week or so. Fortunately, I was sitting at my computer when Matt sent the email Saturday morning that said they were good to go and I had my pick. I've got a Khuraburi, which I very much like, and looking forward to the little smaller Komodo.

I also enjoy the micro brands. I've picked up a couple of others lately that I'm very impressed with... a Richard LeGrand and an Aquatico. Both of them are excellent!

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The Jaeger Le Coulter is nice. They make a dressy, thin moon-phase that I like a lot.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
The Seiko model SLA017 was essentially a re-edition or tribute to the original 62MAS diver . This re-edition carried the caliber 8L35-00N0 movement which was one of the reasons given for the rather high price tag for a (non-Grand Seiko) Seiko. I had this one a good while. It had a wonderful vintage appeal, but in the end I decided that the "Seiko" should have been applied and not printed. And little stuff like that is all it takes for me when I'm itching for an excuse to flip out and get something different.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Oh man! That’s a gorgeous Seiko! I would have held onto that. I bet that movement was sweet!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Is that a gray/silver dial rOgue? I really like the dial on that Seiko.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I liked that 62MAS reissue a lot. I am considering the newer re-issue that is coming out just now. It is not cheap, but not priced like SLA017. It doesn't have the premium movement.

(I keep noticing that even though I say I don't really want any more watches, there are quite a few that I keep thinking about. It's bad, isn't it?)

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That new green Seiko Capt’n Willard/Apocalypse Now diver is calling my name. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
(I keep noticing that even though I say I don't really want any more watches, there are quite a few that I keep thinking about. It's bad, isn't it?)

Same. I have all the watches I need or could possibly justify. Not many watches really, but curated over decades and dialed-in to be perfect for my uses. But I found a cool NATO with interesting colors, and now I'm actually searching for the appropriate watch to go with the $29 NATO strap I just ordered! <8-o

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Is that a gray/silver dial rOgue? I really like the dial on that Seiko.

Mostly grey with a touch of green. Radial striations.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Undone "Urban Vintage" Panda Dial. With a VK61A MechaQuartz movement, these were fun customizable inexpensive and had a great vintage look.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Man rOgue I can’t believe the printed “Seiko” logo was enough to make you sell it. I love that watch! It has such a classic look to it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Any of y’all get the email from Phoibos about their new dive watch? I REALLY like it. One of my friends has been in the market for a dive watch for a while and he just pulled the trigger on a white dial version.

Behold the Phoibos Proteus. Phoibos is offering 15% off until May 27th on their website when you use the coupon code “PROTEUS”. Now which to get...blue or white? Hmmmm I think I’m going to get the white sandy texture dial though the blue one looks VERY good.

Phoibos has arguably the coolest watch logo in the biz! Big Grin

Link to new Phoibos Proteus

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Undone "Urban Vintage" Panda Dial. With a VK61A MechaQuartz movement, these were fun customizable inexpensive and had a great vintage look.

I agree that this vintage panda look is great. Is that movement reliable and durable? I've no experience with hybrids. At 40mm did it prove too large for you or do you still have it?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post