SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That is a nice, clean chronograph.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
This my 2001 (limited edition of 100) Zeno Sea Hunter 485GMT. Case is 40mm diameter with a domed acrylic crystal and is rated at 30 BAR. The venerable 485 diver is fitted with an ETA 2893-2 25J movement and a 24 hour bezel. The strap is a black leather NATO from G&Co.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
I'm not usually one for gold, but that Heuer is gorgeous

It was more of a copper in lower light than a sunny, snowy day.

Posts: 11376 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
This my 2001 (limited edition of 100) Zeno Sea Hunter 485GMT.

That's a new brand to me. It's really nice.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
This my 2001 (limited edition of 100) Zeno Sea Hunter 485GMT.

That's a new brand to me. It's really nice.

The first Zeno I bought was this very easy to read XXL Pilot GMT 8563 A/SV which sports a huge 47.5mm case! It also is an ETA 2893-2. It wears a nicely padded Sirtoli Pericles Louisiana alligator strap w/deployant.

Eddie at Timefactors carried this brand back in the day.

Here's the Zeno website: http://zenousa.com/

I once had this orange faced Zeno diver too. It was one of 200 and used an ETA 2452 mvt. Still have the Seiko SKX011J but flipped the Zeno. Smile

And as an aside I also have this custom sterile piece commissioned by Hyunsuk featuring an ETA 2846 (modified by Mr. Chung, Yoonho, AWI Certified Master Watchmaker to add hacking) in a beadblasted Zeno 485 diver case. Markus Stein MOD dial and solid band bars. I use a gray leather G&Co. NATO strap with it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Next up was another Seiko; this time, a vintage (1975). Seiko Quartz QZ (0922-8000). These early Seiko quartz watches were engineered and built to a very high standard. At 37mm, it's right on the money for my ideal size.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Long before the market for these absolutely exploded, I was offered an extremely good deal on an older variant pre-owned Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Ultra Thin. I had it only a day, and returned it as I could not get the sizing on this older one sided deployant to work for my wrist. Newer models solved the problem for small wrists with a two-sided butterfly deployant.

Letting this one get away was one of the biggest errors of my watch-nerd life. Prices have since quadrupled. This was a hand crafted masterpiece.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The Royal Oak is quite something else. Too bad about your timing on it.

That is a watch that I don't love the look of - for some reason they look dated and very '70s to me, but there is no denying the quality. Just to show how personal taste is, I love the Patek Nautilus, which is similar in overall style to the Royal Oak.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
The AP Royal Oak is kinda polarizing, imo. It is such an iconic statement... completely unlike any other. Kinda like Panerai Luminor, imo. There is no way to wear one subtly.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10480 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
I only have one question about the Royal Oak: how the heck do you remove those screws on the bezel?

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
I only have one question about the Royal Oak: how the heck do you remove those screws on the bezel?

My guess is: You don't.

Or, they're held by the screws on the caseback.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15254 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
The Royal Oak is quite something else. Too bad about your timing on it.

That is a watch that I don't love the look of - for some reason they look dated and very '70s to me, but there is no denying the quality. Just to show how personal taste is, I love the Patek Nautilus, which is similar in overall style to the Royal Oak.

For sure. Totally agree. It was the hand crafted hewn from steel nature of it that made me want to give it a try. But I do agree. I once tried on a friend's 5712, and I was blown away. That bracelet was steel silk. It made the Royal Oak feel like a bicycle chain in comparison.

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
It looks like a MACHINE!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38641 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
1946 Breitling Premier Ref. 782 powered by the Venus cal. 176. I had it fully overhauled by Roland Murphy himself at RGM in the historic heart of Pennsylvania's watchmaking country. I've had a world renowned vintage Breitling expert confirm that this dial is all original. The original condition of this watch is quite remarkable.

I like to imagine an American pilot just returned from the war, spending all his backpay on this when he hit NYC. Who knows, right?..

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous! I'd keep that forever.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38641 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Wow. Not many Breitling watches catch my fancy. That one is just stunning!!!! Wow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
Amazing, hard to believe that's 74 years old and still in such beautiful condition. That's a real keepsake, for sure!!

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
WWII Elgin Ord Dept 24 hour watch. the spotting is on the crystal, not the dial.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
1946 Breitling Premier Ref. 782 powered by the Venus cal. 176.

Now THAT is reflective of what I love in watches!

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That Breitling would have stayed in my stash, had it been mine.