SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
My second watch was from our own David Truong! Black bezel 16710 Rolex GMT Master II. This is a ho-hum configuration, so instead of a normal shot, here's a macro of the crown laser engraved on the crystal (floating over the "DE" in SWISS MADE, by the 12).

Picked this up in 2008. Sold it to my brother soon after as I chased something else. He put it in a drawer as he just couldn't bring himself to wear an expensive watch. I got it back from his safe keeping a year or so ago. It will reappear later wearing a Coke bezel. The RSC allowed me to keep the black bezel spare, which I'd always been told they would not do.

In answer to Stickman428, I would say I prefer a concise curated collection, but that I am not a one watch guy since the day I bought this GMT from David. But i wish I could be a one watch guy again. David was my gateway drug pusher. haha!

Posts: 11385 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
r0gue, do you still have that gorgeous blue-faced Glashutte?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15316 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Over the years, I've had a lot of watches go through my collection. I'm reached a point though where I am very pleased with what I have, so there's been little action as of late.

I have cataloged them all in a separate iPhotos database on my MacBook (you can do that by holding down <option> key when you open iPhotos. I have all of the photos, and there are many. Each watch has its own album, and they are in all in chronological order.

So, I thought I'd give a tour of all of the watches I'd owned in order. This will take a few months! Many I owned only a short time -- I call those a "bounce". But this one is my first, and I'd owned it the longest.

This is a 16570 Rolex Explorer II with a tritium dial, lug holes case, non-engraved rehaut and a 3185 movement. I purchased this watch new in 1998 at a small AD in my small town. Sans some department store tripe as a kid, this was my first real watch.

I wore this daily for 11 years when it started to make some noise (ultimately found to be the rotor dislodged a bit and rubbing inside). When I sent it to Rolex for service is had scratches and gouges (as photographed here) BUT ... it was running +/- 0 sec a day! After 11 years!!! I had them replace the bezel, and I allowed that they could lightly polish the case. I specifically said and it was recorded on the service order to leave deeper scratches as I don't want it over polished.

They returned what seemed to me to be a shiny bar of soap. Two years later I traded it off on another watch. Mistakes were made...

While the GMTII seems to be the big selling Rolex these days, I really like the ExplorerII with the white "Polar" face. I'm not getting rid of my "Jame Cameron" Deep Sea Sea Dweller, but I'm thinking the "Polar" just might be on my "must do" list soon.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
r0gue, do you still have that gorgeous blue-faced Glashutte?

Long gone. But it will appear here in a few weeks.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
While the GMTII seems to be the big selling Rolex these days, I really like the ExplorerII with the white "Polar" face. ...

My all time favorite. I have replaced mine. Thankfully.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
any Tampa/Clearwater people ever used Zimbal's (Palm Harbor) for pre-owned watches or for service? They were recommended by my jeweler over in Pensacola for Omega service.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I promise this won't be months of Rolex. Early on a popped a bunch in and out. This one was a stunner. Just couldn't resist. Got the first one that came in to my AD and turned down a Daytona to get it! The Rolex 116400V Milgauss GV (Glace Verte in reference to the green crystal).

Ultimately, the polished center links were just too much for me. My favorite picture of it.

A clearer shot of what makes it great.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: r0gue,

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
As much as I loved the Burgundy and Black bezel 16710 Rolex GMT Master II "Coke" design, and I still do, I can see by how I'm bored NOW posting about all these Rolex why I took the long and wandering journey that I'm about to document.

We're almost don't with this monotonous drone of, admittedly, great watches. Next up after this,... another one from David -- and not a Rolex!

This one was so so nice and clean. I'll say this about Rolex, they hold value. I sold this in 2009. They trade now at 5x what I sold this for. Crazy stuff!

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
One of my two Sinn 156 Military chronos. This on a brown goat skin BUND strap made from a well worn US Military flight jacket. The strap was among a batch custom made by Jurgen's of Germany for an Army Colonel friend of mine.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16210 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
That Sinn 156 is SWEET! How old would you estimate that watch to be?

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
That Sinn 156 is SWEET! How old would you estimate that watch to be?

That one is a 1986 vintage and my other 156 Military is from 1989. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16210 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
What's the lug width? I'd think maybe a dark brown leather. Lots of colors there. I can see how that'd be tricky.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
My first breakout to seeing what the rest of the world had to offer. The Ball Engineer Master II Classic. Bought this from David in 2010. I can't believe where that decade took me, in watches and otherwise.

The tritium on this was awesome. I wouldn't mind owning a Ball again someday.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I think I’m going to fold the end over and sew an X like it has near the top clasp.

Don, why not just trim the length and burn the cut end? I wonder if folding that extra over and sewing it will cause issues with comfort.

Yeah I'm wondering how long it is taking for the Aussie straps. Ordered mine on April 6th.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
rOgue, That is a gorgeous watch! Those tritium indices really are something else. Would you say the Ball watch ownership experience was a positive one? It sounds like it was.

Absolutely! It was a great watch. It was my first strap watch too, so that really opened the gates for me. Ran wonderfully, Dave Truong sells them (or at least he did), so easy to source from someone trusted.

Resale wasn't too bad. This is important to me, but not to everyone. I tend to bring them in and flip them out. I actually just posted my Bathyscaphe on the classifieds here! At the price range of Ball, there's a lot of value for the money!

Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
Of all my watches, day in and day out, I probably wear this more than any of them. Just a solid, good looking watch that I'm always comfortable with... it's the Fireman Victory. I also got it from David; however, as far as I know, he cleared out all his Ball watches last year and no longer carries them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tooky13,

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1311 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
There are very few watches that I had and sold which, clearly, I regret. This is certainly one of them. I bought it new from the AD, sold it relatively soon after, at a loss of course. They now trade 6x or more what I sold mine for, and mine was positively spotless, as new when I let it go.

Why'd I sell it? Rolex burnout was probably the main reason. I was also really troubled by the engraved rehaut of these newer (at the time) Rolex. Now they all have it of course. I guess really I'm still not a fan. I wouldn't buy another Rolex for years after this one came and went. So lots of cool variety -finally- in the coming days.

Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Still digging this watch. Couple of scratches on the bezel but still looks good.
watch by Kent Matthew, on Flickr

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
Still digging this watch. Couple of scratches on the bezel but still looks good.

Good lume!

Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I was trying to get a good lume shot, but my Galaxy 5 phone camera could not deliver a good shot.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post