SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
rOgue, That’s a cool Seiko mod! The dial and hands are quite similar to the Orange Tissot T-Navigator. I really like that second hand. Are the hands lumed?

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Modded Seiko > Orange Tissot T-Nav. Only the hour and minute hands are lumed on my orange Tissot. I can’t believe you sold it...as partial as I am to bright colors and clothing I don’t think I could have brought myself or sell such a cool modded Seiko.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:I can’t believe you sold it...as partial as I am to bright colors and clothing I don’t think I could have brought myself or sell such a cool modded Seiko.

My approach is that I sell every watch. Most of the watches I've posted in this thread are already gone. Some to fellow forum members!

I've owned over 40 watches across ~20 years, but rarely more than a few at any one time. If I owned them all still, man what a collection it would be! But I would be dead flat broke too. For the most part, I've been spending the same money over and over again for many years. Netting out within a few grand over two decades. Not bad.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who is a BMW Motorrad master mechanic and he has a similar attitude toward his motorcycles. He rarely keeps one for longer than 6 months. He has a space in his garage where he puts pictures of every bike he has owned. There are easily over 50 bikes pictured on his wall. The dude is just not nostalgic at all and once he gets bored it’s out with the old and In with the new.

I’m getting to the point where I am probably going to thin the watch herd quite a bit but I don’t know if I could sell every one of them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Bronze watches are neat but I unfortunately discovered just how scratch resistant they are compared to stainless steel today. A Tissot Seastar fell in my drawer on top one of my Bronze divers. I had it sitting on top of a watch box to save room in the drawer. The Seastar came out completely unscathed but my Tsao Baltimore Torsk diver now has a big scratch on its bronze bezel insert.

Oh well. It’s going to get a lot more scratches.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Autos are neat! Once a month around midnight Triple 2’s appear in the date window of my Ergon Maelstrom. I tried to get a better pic of the 3rd 2 but right as I was focusing my phone’s camera it abruptly clicked over to the 23rd.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
It's not fancy on the inside (quartz) but I needed an entry into the chronograph/tachy bezel world and I wanted a white face so my wife got me this Quickster for Christmas. The Tissot is the cleanest face I've found on any of the inexpensive chronos.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I love white dials. Congrats!

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I got a very generous bonus for Christmas today.

A 2 tone Rolex Datejust is in my near future from Crown and Caliber.

I love the Explorer II, but I have an itch for the quintessential 36mm Rolex.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Dumb question time again, sorry!

Does the number of jewels in a watch directly correlate with the functions and complications? More simply put, is it possible to have a different jewel count between two watches that are functionally identical?

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig:

Does the number of jewels in a watch directly correlate with the functions and complications? More simply put, is it possible to have a different jewel count between two watches that are functionally identical?

Yes. The Sellita 200 has 26 jewels and the ETA 2824-2 has 25 jewels.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig:

Yes. The Sellita 200 has 26 jewels and the ETA 2824-2 has 25 jewels.

Does that make one movement better than the other (high jewel count)?

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig: More simply put, is it possible to have a different jewel count between two watches that are functionally identical?

First, you have to understand what the jewels in a watch do: they're bearings that hold moving parts in place. Because the jewels are harder and smoother than a metal bearing, they and the associated metal part experience less friction and less wear. (There are also other jewels, such as the "pallet stones" in the fork, but the principle is the same.) A higher jewel count CAN be a sign of higher quality, but a better-designed movement with a slightly lower jewel count may, in actual practice, a better movement. As an aside, when I was in watchmaker's school someone brought in a counterfeit Rolex, and the back was marked "23 jewels." When I opened it up, it did in fact have 23 jewels...arranged in a circle around the edge of the main plate and serving absolutely no function. The axles of the wheels were just inserted in bare holes drilled in the plates. It was the worst movement I had ever seen, and was the embodiment of the term "Chinese junk."

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Some of the counterfeits have gotten pretty damn surprising. I have an Omega Seamaster super clone that has been consistently keeping +2-3 seconds a day. Now longevity, water resistance, and how long it will keep its accuracy is another story.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
curious, do you guys swim in 100m watches?

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
curious, do you guys swim in 100m watches?

I have not only swum, but dived with a 100 meter watch. I wouldn't go below 60 feet with it, but before I had a 200 meter watch it filled the "dive watch" role with no problems. I think I paid $19.95 for it at Walmart a few years ago. My brother still wears one. (He's even more "thrifty" than I am.) It's a Casio MRW200 like this one:

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I had an extra NATO that I thought might look good with my 1999 Seamaster. I’ve been into NATO straps lately and have been putting them on all my daily watches. Big Grin

The strap is a bit small but it looks better than I was expecting. Different for sure I kinda like it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
IWC Chronograph I got two croc bands with it a dark blue and a dark brown both were two small so I put on this tan leather one. This will look better with the brown croc band.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
There is just something I love about blue hands on a white dial. Very nice!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
That IWC Portuguese is killer. I've been tempted by that model for years. Same as the Seamaster in the prior posts. Two long standing excellent models.