SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bald1:

[/QUOTE

Sinn makes superb watches that can really take abuse and keep working in the real world. That Mil chrono is beautiful!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
After missing the last purchase window and the one before that I FINALLY got on the list for a Helm Vanuatu. It will be summertime before it’s on my wrist but I will eventually be the owner of one of these beastly divers. (Mine will have a black date window) Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Fantastic Helm. Love those hands. Reminds me of the Bathyscaphe or MIH watches. That'll be a rough wait. Smile

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
The first Lemania 5100 chronograph I acquired some two decades ago: the Heuer 510.503. I replaced the factory bracelet with a Sinn 157 one that I had beadblasted to match the case. Of my 5100 chronos the dial markings on this watch are arguably the nicest / cleanest especially with the dial registers sunk down from the rest of the dial's surface and guilloched in concentric circles. Smile

And the 1984 catalog page for this piece:

No screwdown crown but still rated at 10 BAR. Factory replacement mineral glass crystals with their metal ring have sadly long been unavailable.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Bald1, I love the bead blasted finish! Do you have any pics of it with the Chrono running? Those are some very cool looking hands and they contrast with the dial nicely.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Tsao Baltimore is a neat micro brand that assembles their watches in Baltimore MD. I’m not sure about their other offerings but on their Torsk diver model they use Miyota 9015 automatic movements which are solid and VERY underrated in my opinion. They give the ETA 2824-2 / 2836-2 & Powermatic 80 a run for their money in the accuracy dept....compared to the Swiss movements at this price point it’s a contender for sure.

The green dial I liked recently sold out so I pulled the trigger on the midnight blue version with a solid bezel. The white outer ring is odd but it looks great at night as the whole thing is lumed. Mine will come on black leather.

I have had a SS version of this watch for a few months. I scooped it up on eBay for a smoking good deal. They have display backs, decorated movements and pay homage to the submarine sitting in the inner harbor which is where it derived its name. I believe some of the proceeds of the sale of the watch benefits the submarine and museum that supports it.

My stainless version is #228....pretty cool.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Bald1, I love the bead blasted finish! Do you have any pics of it with the Chrono running? Those are some very cool looking hands and they contrast with the dial nicely.

These help?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That is a very good looking watch! I love the hands, they really work with that dial. That is a super cool chrono!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
That is a very good looking watch! I love the hands, they really work with that dial. That is a super cool chrono!

Thanks! It seduced me a couple decades back for much of the same reasons you cite plus the 5100 movement. Big Grin

In case you wondered, the normal time seconds are shown in the subdial at 9 o'clock. The normal time 24 hour indicator is at 12 o'clock. The chronograph function shows minutes (arrow) and seconds (straight) with the orange hands; and hours are totalized in the register at 6 o'clock. On my 3 Sinns the chrono hour totalizer also has an orange hand unlike this Heuer.

They don't come up for sale very often as they are fairly rare. For giggles I did a search tonight and found two proper ones for sale and a third with incorrect crown and caseback (which I wouldn't touch). And yeah, they're in the >$2k range which is a heck of lot more than I paid 2 decades ago.

I know tacfoley was looking for one but he doesn't give an email address in his profile so no way to flag him.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Broke down and got an Uncle Seiko reproduction OEM strap.

I am not a strap guy, but I have to admit after all these years of trying to make a bracelet work, this is the answer. Glad Uncle Seiko came up with these.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Been wearing this for my weekend watch.

Blue lume.

The more I wear it, the more I appreciate Sinn as an innovator.

I save it for weekends so I don't scratch it up working on appliances.

Really like the fine mesh bracelet.

Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
This beast is my daily wear. I have had my hands deep into so many machines with this on and it stands up to the punishment.

Lume shot.

Not the best image, just to show how it lights up like a wall clock.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The lume on the rehaut gives a cool effect on the dial, Rogue.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snapping Twig:
Been wearing this for my weekend watch.

The more I wear it, the more I appreciate Sinn as an innovator.

I save it for weekends so I don't scratch it up working on appliances.

Really like the fine mesh bracelet.

Beautiful piece! I believe that is a later version (Arktis II) with a 7750 vice 5100 movement in the original Arktis from the late '90s.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's a 206 with the chronometer version of the 7750. Totally decorated, sapphire display back to enjoy it.

The crystal has AR coating inside and outside, but Sinn has developed a coating that is almost as hard as sapphire and it is not tinted like so many AR coatings are, you just can not see it.

I missed out on the 203 Arktis, so this is me scratching the itch I had for the last 20 years waiting for a reissue.

Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
The lume on the rehaut gives a cool effect on the dial, Rogue.

Thanks. I'm figuring you are commenting on the Seiko. I am delighted with how easy it is to read in all conditions, like watches were when we had tritium. Old eyes like mine appreciate it. Smile

The blue on the Sinn is really cool, but it only appears blue in low light. Once it is totally dark it appears green.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
How long have you had that MarineMaster?

Honestly If I didn't already have the first iteration of the Marathon SAR (2001 - 300m) and a vintage Aquastar Benthos I (1985 - 1000m) dive watches, that Seiko would be near or at the top of my wish list. Smile

As an aside I think jhe888 was in fact commenting on the lume on r0gue's GeoP watch.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Gotcha, my error.

I bought the Marinemaster in March this year. It was 10+/day after break-in. Sent it to IWW for regulation and now it's 1.7+/day rock solid. The 8L35 is a fantastic movement with the MEM technology for the balance/palette fork etc.

Jack told me and I agree, it is a direct equivalent to Rolex 3135, which I have in the Yacht-Master.

In fact, the MM is totally in house made with a GS movement, in the GS building by GS technicians. IMO, it is a GS in all but name.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snapping Twig:
In fact, the MM is totally in house made with a GS movement, in the GS building by GS technicians. IMO, it is a GS in all but name.

Wonder why Seiko doesn't brand it as a Grand Seiko then... mmmmmm....

Agree with you about Superluminova. Easily trumps the old tritium paints. Your new MarineMaster and my 18 year old Marathon SAR use it (although Marathon calls it Mariglow).

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Seiko probably hasn’t branded it as a Grand Seiko watch because they already have other divers in the Grand Seiko line. MM fans are well aware of the reason those watches are so accurate and so expensive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~