SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Just picked up the Tissot Moto GP watch. It’s a little thick, but otherwise I love it.

[/QUOTE]

https://www.flickr.com/gp/162047400@N04/629313

Posts: 184 | Location: Great Falls VA | Registered: February 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Pilot watch guys:

Which of the several more-or-less reproductions of the German fliegers do you like best.

Laco seems to be the most reminiscent of the originals. I lean in that direction.

Stowa?

IWC is out - I don't want to spend that much, and they are more adaptations anyway.

I like the A dials. I like them a little bigger, as that is more like the originals. (The originals were 55mm.) I think I could easily wear a 42mm on my gorilla arm. the 45mm ones seem big, but I haven't seen one in the flesh.

Dija throw down? I need a fix. I'm still all itchy now for a B-Uhr. Damn you!

Posts: 11379 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:
Pilot watch guys:

Which of the several more-or-less reproductions of the German fliegers do you like best.

Laco seems to be the most reminiscent of the originals. I lean in that direction.

Stowa?

IWC is out - I don't want to spend that much, and they are more adaptations anyway.

I like the A dials. I like them a little bigger, as that is more like the originals. (The originals were 55mm.) I think I could easily wear a 42mm on my gorilla arm. the 45mm ones seem big, but I haven't seen one in the flesh.

No, but I was all over the web yesterday looking at the various sizes and trying to visualize them on my Hulk-sized wrist. I could probably wear the 45mm, but it would be very large even on me. (I saw some guys with 7 inch wrists claiming they could pull it off, but they looked a little silly to me. My wrist is 8.25") I think it would be the 42mm for me.

Maybe a Christmas present. If I bought one for myself now, my wife wouldn't be happy.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=...TZs&feature=youtu.be

Veterans Day talking watches. Vietnam Navy Seal discusses his USN issued Tudor sub and his adventures with it. Best 12 minutes you’ll spend today

Posts: 4760 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=...TZs&feature=youtu.be

Veterans Day talking watches. Vietnam Navy Seal discusses his USN issued Tudor sub and his adventures with it. Best 12 minutes you’ll spend today

Very cool. Thanks for posting.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9687 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of leftnose
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Pilot watch guys:

Stowa?

No, but I was all over the web yesterday looking at the various sizes and trying to visualize them on my Hulk-sized wrist. I could probably wear the 45mm, but it would be very large even on me. (I saw some guys with 7 inch wrists claiming they could pull it off, but they looked a little silly to me. My wrist is 8.25") I think it would be the 42mm for me.

Maybe a Christmas present. If I bought one for myself now, my wife wouldn't be happy.

I don't have one handy and I'm about 6000mi from home at the moment but I can post a wrist shot of my 42mm Laco on my 7-7/8" wrist if you like. They wear big, all dial and no bezel. In that style 42mm is about as big as I'd want to go.

Posts: 647 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leftnose:

I don't have one handy and I'm about 6000mi from home at the moment but I can post a wrist shot of my 42mm Laco on my 7-7/8" wrist if you like. They wear big, all dial and no bezel. In that style 42mm is about as big as I'd want to go.

That would be great. Thanks.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I want to buy a Rolex for my birthday/Christmas.

I am leaning toward a newer (early 2000's 3132 movement) Explorer 39 vs a Sub in 40. The sub with the normal lugs instead of those newer clunky looking ones.

Prices are all over the place.

https://www.crownandcaliber.co...270-10-10-rol-3qu2e6

https://www.crownandcaliber.co...odel_name:Submariner

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

I am leaning toward a newer (early 2000's 3132 movement) Explorer 39 vs a Sub in 40. The sub with the normal lugs instead of those newer clunky looking ones.

Good choices. I have an Explorer like that. It is so sleek and easy to wear. And those sleeker Subs look good. The new ones are terroble and clunky-looking.

Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

No date Sub?

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9687 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Either way is fine.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Pilot watch guys:

Stowa?

Have a look at the Archimede pilot watches. I really like their 42mm GMT. They are owned by Ickler, who do a lot of manufacturing for high end watch brands in Europe. ETA movements and heat blued hands, reasonable prices. The Stowa is nice too. I like either of them over Laco.

https://www.archimede-watches....ot/pilot-42-gmt.html

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of leftnose
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Slightly blurry but gives a good idea of size.

While I own larger watches (like the MM300 I'm actually wearing now), the way a 42mm flieger wears is just about at the limit of my tastes. It clearly fits my wrist just fine but I don't want anything bigger.

Posts: 647 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Slightly blurry but gives a good idea of size.

While I own larger watches (like the MM300 I'm actually wearing now), the way a 42mm flieger wears is just about at the limit of my tastes. It clearly fits my wrist just fine but I don't want anything bigger.

nice

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much, Leftnose.

I think that confirms that while I could fit the 45mm on my wrist, I wouldn't want to.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
This is all your fault. Want want want (need?) want.

https://www.laco-watches.com/e...tch-original/kempten

Posts: 11379 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I know. Aren't they so clean and nice? They even make an XL strap to fit my wrist. Bastards.

https://www.laco-watches.com/e...gen-42mm-handwinding

Picture of leftnose
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know. Aren't they so clean and nice? They even make an XL strap to fit my wrist. Bastards.

https://www.laco-watches.com/e...gen-42mm-handwinding

You migth want to try to find out the strap lengths before buying that XL strap. The original strap that's on my Aachen is absolutely the longest strap that I own. On my wrist (7-7/8" as above), I'm on the second to last hole on the *tight* end. I'd have to think the XL strap is for the traditional manner of wearing a flieger on the outside of a flight jacket.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

You migth want to try to find out the strap lengths before buying that XL strap. The original strap that's on my Aachen is absolutely the longest strap that I own. On my wrist (7-7/8" as above), I'm on the second to last hole on the *tight* end. I'd have to think the XL strap is for the traditional manner of wearing a flieger on the outside of a flight jacket.

Thanks. Laco told me the usual length strap is for up to 21cm arms, and the XL is for longer. Maybe you got the XL and didn't know it? I think they do offer a separate, traditional strap for wear over a flight jacket, but as I understand it, that is a whole different design.

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
What do we think of the Explorer II?

Eeewwww, don't touch it!