SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
If one purchases a case, movement, dial, and hands, what skill level is required to put that all together? What special tools would be needed?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
If one purchases a case, movement, dial, and hands, what skill level is required to put that all together? What special tools would be needed?

Well, I went to two years of school full time to learn to do it, and had to buy a couple of thousand dollars worth of tools (in addition to the big tools at the school: lathes, milling machine, etc.), but it can be done with less. It also depends on the type of movement -- quartz will be easier than mechanical -- and how "complete" the movement is.

At a minimum I'd suggest a movement holder, case wrench, screwdriver assortment, tweezer assortment, oilers and a selection of oils, hand-setting tool, and one or more loupes appropriate to your eyesight.

There are online watch repair courses, and one might be worth your time and money depending on your level of interest in watches.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
What special tools would be needed?

Here's my favorite source of watch tools:
http://www.ofrei.com/page235.html

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks in advance.

I bought junk watches to practice taking apart and reassembling.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
BrianO and ScreamingCockatoo, thanks for the help. That changes my thoughts a bit. Smile

I had thought about getting a SW200-1 movement and then putting together my own Meister Singer knock off.

I don't know when or why it happened, but I have been bitten by the watch bug. I simply can't afford my tastes. I am more of a Timex sort of guy.

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:...I have been bitten by the watch bug. I simply can't afford my tastes.

I know what you mean. During final quarter of watchmaker's school we got a tour of a high-end jeweler's store, and got to handle some very nice watches by Franck Muller, IWC, etc. I was examining one watch that I was particularly attracted by, and when I looked at the price tag I almost dropped it. $124,000! I was literally trembling when I handed it back. My personal watches are a Seiko 5, a Casio Duro, and an ESQ by Movado. I was only able to afford the latter because I worked at a Movado store and used my employee discount. Ah, if only I'd won that $307MM Powerball last month.

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
My goal is to not buy anymore watches for the year, and try to thin down the herd a bit. Therefore trying to decide what to keep and what to get rid of has become a small task.

I'm definitely keeping the Darth Turtle.
PVD coated watches aren't normally my thing, as I don't think a black watch is very versatile but they are striking in the looks department. I've settled on this black sailcloth strap that I was using on a gold 55fathoms build. That watch will be sold, so I swapped the sailcloth strap to this one. I also replaced the deployant with a black pvd buckle. I think they are a perfect match.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SVTNate
posted Hide Post
If you ever feel like a straight trade for my Blue Lagoon, let me know... we can swap rare Turtles if you feel like a change of pace.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Guns, cars, Cuban cigars

Posts: 2570 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna get me a 007 or 009 soon!

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
My goal is to not buy anymore watches for the year, and try to thin down the herd a bit. Therefore trying to decide what to keep and what to get rid of has become a small task.

I'm definitely keeping the Darth Turtle.
PVD coated watches aren't normally my thing, as I don't think a black watch is very versatile but they are striking in the looks department. I've settled on this black sailcloth strap that I was using on a gold 55fathoms build. That watch will be sold, so I swapped the sailcloth strap to this one. I also replaced the deployant with a black pvd buckle. I think they are a perfect match.

Love that one. Out of my price range unless I sell something and I happy where I am right now.

Beautiful! Congrats!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post

An old Rodania 17J (actually an A. Schild 1430 from the 1950's) that I am just about finished rebuilding. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why the movement wouldn't run when I put it back together and finally discovered that the lower pivot on the pallet arbor was missing. I guess I ham-fisted it right off. Anyway, bought a partial movement for the pallet alone and now it lives!!

I also discovered the joys of handwinding a mainspring without a mainspring winder. Takes some practice.

RMD

<EDIT>

The old soldier fights onward!

[FLASH_VIDEO]

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/FqboxkpL_YQ [/FLASH_VIDEO]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rduckwor,

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Hi, Rogue.
Sorry for the delay. Hi. .. and Hi everybody! I had been back since then that post, but missed your post. As penance, a special watch pic.

How, my Grandfather's Girard-Perregaux? Dial redone by a dumb ass kid (me) when I first inherited it. But at least I still have her (and I have the original crystal too in a box). I plan to get that reinstalled one day.

Posts: 11354 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I have a similar Hamilton tank watch that was my grandfathers. Mine is from the '30s or maybe the '40s. It needs mechanical work, but I don't know if I'll ever do it, as it has a gold filled case, and the corners are worn down through the gold to brass. It would be a major restoration project.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
1974 Seiko Lord Marvel 36000 BPH just arrived from Hong Kong:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
A word of warning: Chinese Seagull movements.

I bought one of these as a training aid. I sadly discovered that the mainspring in the movement was a piece of shit. As soon as I unwound it, it broke and appears to have been improperly annealed as in "not at all". It readily takes a contrary set and bends easily. I am replacing it with a genuine ETA mainspring.

If you have to open and work on one of these movements, be wary of the mainspring. Maybe mine is a fluke.

RMD

posted Hide Post
quote:
My goal is to not buy anymore watches for the year,

Good luck with that one...I suck at that.

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 870 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RobLew:
quote:
My goal is to not buy anymore watches for the year,

Good luck with that one...I suck at that.

You're right.
Picked this up over the weekend. Price was too good to pass up.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Furnace blue hands? Beautiful and elegant.

RMD

posted Hide Post
This is a fantastic thread!!!! I guess I always knew that gun collectors are also watch nuts!!!Some serious watches here, some real beauties. RE; The redial on the GP, I completely agree with the thought of a redial, sort of like refinishing a Colt SAA. I had a dial refinished once on a vintage Breitling Geneve I found on flea bay. Not a particularly valuable watch. The dial was unreadable, I sent it to International Dial in Ohio and it's now a usable watch. I wish I could post some pics of my watches, but I never really got the hang of it.

Posts: 652 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
Is that a Bambino?

I REALLY want the Orient Mako Ray II (orange face)