SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:
I always wanted a watch with a green face. When I saw the Seiko Alpinist I had to have it. Holy cow this thing is small: 38 or 39 mm depending on who you listen to.

Here it is on my wrist with the only 20mm NATO strap I have. How small is too small? I have 8.5” wrists. Maybe I’m just used to larger dive watches and G Shocks. What do y’all think?

It looks very nice on your wrist. I had a hang-up about small watches for a while until I saw a picture on my 40MM Marathon SAR on my wrist. I thought it was too small; it looked great in the picture.

Great watch, enjoy it.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, it’s growing on me a bit. Strapcode has an Angus Jubilee for the Alpinist that I like. But I may check out some leather NATO straps first.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by side_shot:
what do you guys use to remove links in your watch band...

When I needed to shorten the band on my Seiko 5 I checked YouTube for instructional videos, and one of them recommended a tool I bought from Amazon for about $10. It worked fine and saved paying a jeweler to do it.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks guys, it’s growing on me a bit. Strapcode has an Angus Jubilee for the Alpinist that I like. But I may check out some leather NATO straps first.

They look good on leather. I don't love them on bracelets.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
A post by BianO re: NATO band colors "made" me change my bracelet to:

...for a while. I love having multiple bands/straps.

Posts: 3999 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Z06:
A post by BianO re: NATO band colors "made" me change my bracelet to...

I think that looks really sharp!

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Maybe I'm getting older, but I'm starting to appreciate a more simple watch. I got this Orient Bambino gen2 v4 a couple months ago, and have worn it more often than my other watches lately, at least a couple times per week. I've kept it wound daily as well, and I'm shocked at how accurate it has been. The gen2 also has hacking/winding which was absent in the first gen apparently. Gorgeous grey sunburst dial, rose gold indices and hands, and a huge domed crystal. Though a bit large to be a true dress watch, the 41.5mm case hits the sweet spot for me. It came with a natural tan suede strap, which I actually would like if it weren't for the dark leather borders.

I've worn it with this cheap perforated black leather strap to dress it down a bit more, but it really doesn't do the watch face much justice.

I also tried it on both brown and black crocodile straps but they didn't seem to match either.

Finally settled on this very plain light brown/tan strap and it is a much more pleasing combination. Added a deployant as well. A hell of a lot of watch for the money.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
THAT is a beautiful watch!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:

I've become a huge fan of grey dials. Your Orient is a fine example!

Posts: 708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I like it, Agony.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of leftnose
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
Maybe I'm getting older, but I'm starting to appreciate a more simple watch. I got this Orient Bambino gen2 v4 a couple months ago, and have worn it more often than my other watches lately, at least a couple times per week. I've kept it wound daily as well, and I'm shocked at how accurate it has been. The gen2 also has hacking/winding which was absent in the first gen apparently. Gorgeous grey sunburst dial, rose gold indices and hands, and a huge domed crystal. Though a bit large to be a true dress watch, the 41.5mm case hits the sweet spot for me. It came with a natural tan suede strap, which I actually would like if it weren't for the dark leather borders.

Nice. I have the blue Bambino v3 and it's a great travel business watch for me. No value in case something happens to it and, important in my business, not ostentatious in front of my customers.

I'd like to get one of the new small seconds Bambinos but the date window just ruins that one. I'm a big fan of date windows, too, just not on that watch.

Posts: 647 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Yeah I'm not enamored with small seconds....I like a big sweeping seconds hand. I do think the new open heart is cool.... but again that date window kinda ruins it.

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just heard that Seiko is discontinuing the SARB033 and the Alpinist, SARB017. If you own one of these the resale value probably has/will gone up. Will be interesting to see what they are replaced with.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just heard that Seiko is discontinuing the SARB033 and the Alpinist, SARB017. If you own one of these the resale value probably has/will gone up. Will be interesting to see what they are replaced with.

Yup.
I got this link from my brother this morning.
I've always liked the Alpinist. Maybe I need to get one now.
https://www.seiyajapan.com/blogs/news/sayonara

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Aren't weekends supposed to be for sleeping in? Well I got up too early, so decided to upgrade my modded SKX007 with a new double domed sapphire, plain polished stainless steel chapter ring, coin edged bezel and a new bezel insert. I modded this a dozen or so years ago, with a dial from Bill Yao/MkII, and sword hands. I always thought afterward that the face looked too busy with the indexed oem chapter ring and the oem bezel insert but never got around to replacing them. So today was the day. Ordered parts from Dr Seikostain in Poland, and an insert from Dagaz.

Before:

The venerable yet-dated 7S26 movement. One day I'll upgrade the movements in all my SKX's with something hand-windable and hackable.

Crown removed

An empty shell.

Bezel popped, crystal and chapter ring removed.

New sapphire crystal and coin edged bezel installed:

movement reinstalled

Bezel insert applied and done!

Love the new crystal, bezel, and chapter ring...still undecided about the insert. It's aluminum, and finished nicely, but the numbers are printed slightly off-kilter. I'll eventually get a ceramic 12-hour insert in the future.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That is a good dial with those hands.

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I think it looks very unique. I like polished chapter rings and have one on order for a mod I am going to do as well.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
So I finally got around to having my Speedmaster 1171 bracelet fixed.
It had a stress crack in it from being deployed over and over.
Apparently this was an issue with these bracelets.
Well I found a guy with a laser welder that does aerospace stainless steel work.
He was thrilled to have the chance to fix my watch bracelet.

$30 later it's fixed!

Before

After

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/rgMLF2ebGVs

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
That's pretty awesome, SC!

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Very cool!

RMD