This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9666031561/m/6290029643

July 15, 2017, 11:42 PM
copaup
A revival of the Watch thread
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
quote:
Seiko's have always been famous for the quality lume. I'm not aware of any Seiko watches that utilize tritium tubes. I may well be wrong.

Ok, so the Seiko above can be assumed to be not self-illuminating (ie - not tritium). I tried to find a Seiko with tritium (at least in my price range) and couldn't find one. So, it didn't appear that they use tritium (as far as I know, they choose not to - radiation concerns).

The Seiko luminosity above is amazing, especially given what seems to be ample ambient light. I would like a watch like that (in fact, maybe even less bright).

Wish there was some sort of spec (lumens or something) that watch makers could indicate. Very hard to determine how good the lume for a watch is online.

If it's a Seiko, the lume will be excellent. I have a 10 year old Seiko dive watch that still holds a charge well into the night after I lay down for the night. My Monster is so bright that if I hit it with a bit of UV or wear it in bright sunlight you can see it glowing in a well lit room.
July 16, 2017, 05:47 AM
r0gue
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Yeah the SLA017 is just lume, not tritium. Here's a pic someone else just put up. It is bright!

r0gue, you have too much time on your hands Wink

Yeah, I've been following the new owners thread on WUS. Lots of activity right now as the few being produced are in delivery now. In a month, they'll be gone. Then it's cool off as it becomes a relatively few just talking to each other. hehe

July 16, 2017, 10:58 AM
rduckwor
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
This just in. Seiko SLA017 62MAS.

MOst awesomeEst Seiko I've ever owned. Love it!

Congrats on that score! One of very few we will ever see.

A very well done homage to a great watch of the past.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.
July 16, 2017, 11:02 AM
rduckwor
quote:
Originally posted by rkentm:
New (to me) Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean GMT "Goodplanet" Edition. I am really liking the blue/orange combo.

I am not typically an Omega fan (Or Rolex or Breitling as well) However, that may well be the nicest Seamaster I have ever seen.

Cherish it! Its beautiful.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
July 16, 2017, 11:07 AM
rduckwor
quote:
I tried to find a Seiko with tritium (at least in my price range) and couldn't find one. So, it didn't appear that they use tritium (as far as I know, they choose not to - radiation concerns).

Konata:

Radiation is not a concern with tritium, its a beta emitter. Costs, however are. Tritium is expensive and the phosphor tubes that use it for self-illuminating "stuff" are not cheap either.

Manufacturers handling tritium tubes also have to jump thru some extra "hoops" in terms of procedures and records for dear old uncle and the NRC due to the radioactivity.

For the most part, it doesn't fit into Seiko price range or styling concept for the expensive Seiko's.

There are other watches in the range of Seiko's divers that utilize tritium illumination (Blue Diver or something like that), and Traser, and Luminox.

Ball gets a lot more expensive, but makes some very nice self-illuminating watches.

RMD

July 16, 2017, 11:15 AM
rduckwor
Finally, before I bail out of this thread and do something useful this weekend, I have to confess, I have again sinned.

Helm released their new diver this weekend and I bit.

This guy makes some amazing watches for the money and I am a huge fan of his efforts. I'm on the fence about the design and certain elements, but as Nanc said "We have to uhm, pass the bill to see what's in the bill.".

The Helm Khuraburi:

I am in soooo much trouble with SWMBO!

RMD

July 16, 2017, 07:07 PM
SPG
I like it!

" Life is full of choices', Choices have consequences."
July 16, 2017, 07:17 PM
RobLew
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:

There are other watches in the range of Seiko's divers that utilize tritium illumination (Blue Diver or something like that)
RMD

The company is Deep Blue, and they make both Tritium and Lumed watches.

Also, from my earlier post, add Marathon to that list...but at a higher price point.

...that I will support
and defend...
July 16, 2017, 09:10 PM
rduckwor
Thanks. I was blocking the name.

RMD

July 17, 2017, 04:45 AM
r0gue
quote:
Finally, before I bail out of this thread and do something useful this weekend, I have to confess, I have again sinned.

Helm released their new diver this weekend and I bit.

This guy makes some amazing watches for the money and I am a huge fan of his efforts. I'm on the fence about the design and certain elements, but as Nanc said "We have to uhm, pass the bill to see what's in the bill.".

The Helm Khuraburi:

I am in soooo much trouble with SWMBO!

RMD

Lots of great diver elements in there. I once had a Seiko Orange Monster modded to have the crown at 10 o' clock. Loved it. I think the new O.M. has shark tooth indices like that too. This one really looks sharp as hell. Tell me it's 42mm or 44mm so I can move on with my life (and empty wallet). Smile

July 17, 2017, 07:33 AM
rduckwor
quote:
Tell me it's 42mm or 44mm so I can move on with my life (and empty wallet).

Yes, it's a typical nuevo wavo huge diving watch. 43MM.

RMD

July 18, 2017, 09:50 AM
rkentm
[/QUOTE]

I am not typically an Omega fan (Or Rolex or Breitling as well) However, that may well be the nicest Seamaster I have ever seen.

RMD[/QUOTE]

Thank you! I am enjoying it very much. Had to take a deep breath when I threw down the cash, but it's been a treat to wear. Cool

"Ladies and Gentlemen - The Fit has hit the Shan!"
July 22, 2017, 03:07 PM
rduckwor
The Khuraburi has landed!

RMD

July 22, 2017, 04:11 PM
r0gue
Love that watch! I'm a sucker for orange. I Once bought a Milgauss for the orange second hand! I've had several Seiko Orange Monsters including two modded ones. That's a great look.

July 22, 2017, 05:32 PM
r0gue
My Seiko 62MAS² is pretty much relegating 1/2 of my small collection to irrelevance. It's no dress watch of course, but this thing is just about perfect to me for just about everything else.

How about a double-shot of Japanese art? One being truly vintage, and one just giving a respectful bow to its vintage ancestor.

July 22, 2017, 05:47 PM
jhe888
It is a very nice one, Rogue.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
July 22, 2017, 06:29 PM
rduckwor
Indeed! That's a true grail watch.

RMD

July 23, 2017, 09:44 PM
dewhorse
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by rkentm:
New (to me) Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean GMT "Goodplanet" Edition. I am really liking the blue/orange combo.

RMD

Beautiful...my grail watch ...for the moment, I have a PO but the GMT really fits all my imagined needs Wink
July 24, 2017, 12:50 PM
Dusty78
Not the type of watch I usually wear but it does the trick. Tom Tom spark 3 GPS watch with on board 3gb music storage for running without your phone. Just pair your Bluetooth headset to the watch and off you go.

July 24, 2017, 03:40 PM
eTripper
quote:
The Khuraburi has landed!

RMD

rduckwor, that's a great-looking watch for the money. Plus, the reliable Seiko-movement. The band-options, and price-point make this a serious contender for my next purchase. Thanks, for the heads-up!

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch