A revival of the Watch thread

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9666031561/m/6290029643

June 06, 2017, 09:58 AM
newtoSig765
A revival of the Watch thread
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
...I was also backing up Rogue's point that some spend $60,000 on a pickup truck while believing a $8000 watch is an irrational purchase.

Shortly after we moved to the country, we saw a Dodge pickup truck that had every option in the book, and had been dragged through the JC Whitney catalog. No-doubt cost about what I earned in a year back then.

Its bumper sticker said:

"Crime and Farming Don't Pay."

I was wearing my then-13 year old Rolex GMT Master, just retired from daily use two months ago at 34 years. I wonder how long that pickup lasted?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18
June 07, 2017, 07:19 PM
pulicords
Its been six years since I bought my first and only automatic watch (a Tag Carerra). At the time, I thought I'd resisted temptation, but just couldn't take my mind off the Rolex Submariners and Sea Dwellers I'd also considered. Last week, my wife and I vacationed in Maui. As usual, I checked out one of the local dealers and asked if they had a nice "previously owned" version of what I was interested in. The salesman politely said they didn't, but as I walked out the door, I glanced at the window display and WHAM!!! It was love at first sight!!! She's a sweet 16 year old Submariner and according to the official paperwork, had been serviced only a week previously. The salesman didn't even know she was there. The price was exactly what I'd been looking for and I couldn't resist taking her home. Smile

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."
June 07, 2017, 09:16 PM
P-220
Sounds like a great trip. What a beautiful watch.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve
June 08, 2017, 04:48 AM
r0gue
Congrats pulicords! You are in a good place, both geographically, and horologically! haha

June 08, 2017, 11:37 AM
coloradohunter44
Nice watch pulicords. Enjoy wearing it every day in good health.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!
June 08, 2017, 02:19 PM
Orive 8
Decided to pick up another Submariner, I've had several in the past; but really wanted one again. Brand new as of today. Have a Everest rubber strap on order.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.
June 08, 2017, 06:40 PM
pulicords
Thanks for all the kind words and congrats to Orive 8! (Great minds think alike! Wink)

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."
June 08, 2017, 09:07 PM
Voshterkoff
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
My weekend spoils. Matching Microtech Ultratechs and a Fortis Cosmonaut 42mm Automatic watch which is basically a B-42 but came with a leather band. I changed it out for a 007 style NATO. I guess I like automatics of all kinds Big Grin

I really like that Fortis. I have been more of a pilot watch guy, but that one is nice as well.
June 08, 2017, 10:21 PM
Dusty78
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
My weekend spoils. Matching Microtech Ultratechs and a Fortis Cosmonaut 42mm Automatic watch which is basically a B-42 but came with a leather band. I changed it out for a 007 style NATO. I guess I like automatics of all kinds Big Grin

I really like that Fortis. I have been more of a pilot watch guy, but that one is nice as well.

They also make a Chrono

June 08, 2017, 11:19 PM
ShneaSIG
Congratulations Pulicords and Orive! There's nothing quite like a fine watch, and few are quite so iconic as the venerable submariner. Enjoy!

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"
June 09, 2017, 09:33 AM
jhe888
That would be the Sub I'd get, Pulicords (unless I was going for something really collectible, which I can't afford). I greatly prefer the sleeker case, thinner lugs, and smaller hour markers to what they are making now.

Nice choice.

Not to say Orive's isn't a great watch, but I prefer the older models on Rolex's divers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
June 09, 2017, 05:46 PM
Floyd D. Barber
Just picked up another Citizen.

http://www.citizenwatch.com/en...il/?model=JY8057-01E

Jeweler was having a sale. Picked up another watch which will soon be offered as a Karma gift.

Gift to myself and Karma reason will be released when things slow down a bit and I get pictures of the Karma watch.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

June 11, 2017, 05:10 PM
r0gue
Nice Floyd, Congrats! on both accounts!

June 13, 2017, 07:52 PM
ScreamingCockatoo
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:
Just picked up another Citizen.

http://www.citizenwatch.com/en...il/?model=JY8057-01E

Jeweler was having a sale. Picked up another watch which will soon be offered as a Karma gift.

Gift to myself and Karma reason will be released when things slow down a bit and I get pictures of the Karma watch.

I like it!

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.
June 19, 2017, 08:55 PM
10X-Shooter
My weeks spoils, same watch as Dusty but leather band, Fortis B42 Cosmonaut.

Next to the everyday Epos.

Microtech SDK DLC M390

June 20, 2017, 06:04 AM
r0gue
Love the Fortis. Wish it was offered in a 39mm. That's 42mm? or 44?

June 20, 2017, 10:53 AM
10X-Shooter
Thanks. I love Fortis. I had a chunky Spacematic previously. The prices are insanely low right now. This is a 42mm. I have a Tag Carrera with a 39mm case and it seems so small. Amazing what 3mm can make.
June 20, 2017, 10:07 PM
Dusty78
10X mine actually came with the same leather band. Jomashop had it for a great deal. Mine is 42mm. rOgue some of their pilot watches are 40mm.

http://www.jomashop.com/fortis...h-623-10-42-l10.html

Great deals right now.

June 21, 2017, 12:47 AM
10X-Shooter
Yup, great minds think alike. Got mine there also. Had to jump before they regained their sanity.
June 21, 2017, 12:43 PM
10X-Shooter
Any ideas about where to find factory silicone bands with deployment clasps and factory bracelets for the Fortis B42?