SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Normandy 2017

Moderators: LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Normandy 2017 Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
As I noted in my This is London Calling thread in the Lounge, I was given the opportunity to visit Normandy, France.

I plan on a much longer post detailing what I saw and learned from my three days in Normandy, but I wanted to share a taste of the images collected by my camera.

quote:
Sir, I saw a sign back thataways that said...

This is the Paratrooper's Memorial located outside St. Mere Eglise (49°24'5.20"N 1°21'46.43"W). I met an American family there who all but adopted me. I plan to make Leo, the patriarch, a pen pal. Despite being from Brooklyn, I think they'd fit in here like old old hands. More about them later.

I have to admit, I kept swallowing the emotions I felt everywhere I went as the magnitude of the debt we owe those 18-30 year old men sank in.

It was quite an experience.

Nice is overrated

And people wonder why I carry a SIG P320

Death to Terrorists

Posts: 25451 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I visited Normandy on 5 Jun 2015. It is an experience I think every American should have. (I think everyone should visit Arlington National Cemetery, too, and one or more of the American cemeteries in Europe.)

I think this photo says it all for me

DSC_0440-2.jpg
by David Casteel, on Flickr

What a great old gentleman, and just one of the many who fought there.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

When they ask me, "Paper or plastic?" I just say, "Doesn't matter to me. I am bi-sacksual."

Posts: 18595 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
More images from Normandy

[IMG][/IMG]

Utah Beach, low tide, from the 35' bluff behind the beach

Nice is overrated

Death to Terrorists

Posts: 25451 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
No pictures, Sig2340.

flashguy

When they ask me, "Paper or plastic?" I just say, "Doesn't matter to me. I am bi-sacksual."

Posts: 18595 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At this point in my life, I doubt I'll make it to Europe, but if I do, a tour of Normandy is my first stop, followed by a visit to the American Cemetery in Luxembourg to show my respects to Gen. Patton.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

Posts: 6692 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
My great uncle, Estill Sparks is buried at the Luxenbourg Cemetary. My grandfather, his brother made it back. He fought with the 759th Tank Battalion. It's a beautiful Cemetary. Somewhere I have a picture of my grandfather visiting his brothers grave there.

Posts: 4472 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
My great uncle, Estill Sparks is buried at the Luxenbourg Cemetary. My grandfather, his brother made it back. He fought with the 759th Tank Battalion. It's a beautiful Cemetary. Somewhere I have a picture of my grandfather visiting his brothers grave there.
Photos of that cemetery in 1980:

07-016--Luxembourg Am. Cem. and Mem.jpg

07-013--Luxembourg Am. Cem. and Mem.jpg

07-015--Luxembourg Am. Cem. and Mem.jpg

The American cemeteries in Europe are beautiful and perfectly maintained. Every American should visit one or more of them--a very emotional experience.

flashguy

Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Thanks! It's a serene place to be laid to rest.

Posts: 4472 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I was just there over the anniversary. When were you there?

Posts: 9612 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
I was just there over the anniversary. When were you there?
Depending on what you mean by "there", I was at Normandy on 5 Jun 2015 and at the Luxembourg Cemetery around Apr 1980.

flashguy

Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I was just wondering if Sig2340 and I were there at the same time. Then I saw that his post is from the 2nd so we just missed each other probably. I got there the 3rd.

Posts: 9612 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
I was just wondering if Sig2340 and I were there at the same time. Then I saw that his post is from the 2nd so we just missed each other probably. I got there the 3rd.

Great minds, think alike.

Nice is overrated

Death to Terrorists