SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Wild Florida-resized
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wild Florida-resized Login/Join 
posted
Couple of photos from this weekend. I was working as in water support for a research dive in Shepard Sink (4 hours and lots of bugs), mapping and video for the State. This site is 4 miles from the main road down mud trails. Last shot is from River Sink. All sites are closed to the public except for hiking in. Lot more to Florida than the Hard Rock Hotel.

River Sink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Southflorida-law,

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Your pictures are way too big. Big Grin

Viewing on my 15" laptop and the pictures are more than twice my screen size.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
So, where's the Skunk Ape?? Big Grin

Kidding aside, I've always enjoyed a day in the pine lands myself, many adventures logged searching digging and replanting Florida Silver Palms. Coccothrinax Argentata variety, they're really beautiful but only grow 4.7" per year. My friend from the Dept of Agriculture and I would go out into old pine lands that are scheduled to be cleared for commercial use, and save them. I've got some in my yard I replanted that are over 6' now. Many show a pencil neck condition from over the many years, drought, hurricanes, and other environmental effects stunt the growths. Beautiful decorative palms with shinny underside silver leaves.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
It's good to see unspoiled natural areas.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Here's one from the Argentata specie, that we rescued from a pine land that was scheduled to be bulldozed for commercial purposes. I planted this guy over 15yrs ago in the front. As mentioned you can see the penciling of the neck from drought years. It also had some chunks in the trunk. likely from a past hurricane debris. You need to dig them out by hand and the root balls are usually deep in the limestone beds. Often you have to dig a sizable chunk of coral rock with the base of the roots in order to save it from dying. Which makes it not only heavy but, where you dig it out is usually a good distance into the pines so you have to carry it out a good distance. A lot of work but a beautiful native Florida specie. Currently I have three I planted in the front. This guy is over 6' now and I'd guess is about 30-35yrs old. The photo really doesn't do it justice as the underside of the leaves are brilliant shinny silver and the top sides of the leave are a dark green, a very nice contrast.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post