SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    An unexpected honor (to a photo of mine)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An unexpected honor (to a photo of mine) Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted
I've been a little reluctant to post this, because it might seem like bragging, but decided to go ahead with it.

Thursday, 7 Nov 2019, was the dedication of the Radar Station Veterans Monument at the National Museum of the United States Air Force at Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio. This monument commemorates the 10s of thousands of military persons who were stationed at little long-range radar sites throughout the world, many of them remote and desolate. It is a vertical slab of granite with text and photos engraved on both sides (no, I don't know how that is done, but they appear clear). Photos of the monument can be seen here:
https://usafrsv.org/
What is the signicance, you wonder? Well, if you look at the right image in the first photo, or at the 3rd image, the photo at top center of the group is one that I took of Mt. Hebo AFS, Oregon in 1963! One of my photos has been immortalized in stone. It was originally taken on Ektachrome ASA 64 size 127 film with a Kodak Baby Brownie Special camera. The slide has been scanned twice, most recently with a Nikon V600 scanner. I'm attaching that scan here so you can see what the monument builder had to work with:
196306dd Ops Area (127-h).jpg by David Casteel, on Flickr

Needless to say, I am greatly honored that one of my photos was selected to be part of this very limited set, and very humbled, too--only one site in each of 23 countries was chosen, and the one for the US happened to be one I had been assigned to, and one of my pictures chosen to represent it. I was informed of this a few months ago, but now it has come to fruition. I wasn't free to attend the dedication ceremony in Ohio, but I hope to see the monument next year when I attend a Reunion in Ohio.

Can one be a little proud and also humble at the same time?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
AWESOME!!!!

Congratulations!!!!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
very excellent

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Cool!

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Congrats! :thumbsup: Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Nice. Congratulations.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all! It is a great honor.

flashguy

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Yes, yes one can indeed!

Congratulations, friend Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
That's awesome. Congrats

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Very cool. Congratulations.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Very cool! Congratulations Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Well done David, and over your many years of taking some great photos, you are to be congratulated for this milestone in your photographic history. Something to be proud of for certain!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Way to go flashguy!

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jandersd
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! Congratulations

---
Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

Posts: 1122 | Location: Cartersville, GA | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Very nice

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Many thanks to all who have responded. I'm glad the report was well received.

flashguy

Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! That is a fantastic recognition for your work.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Nice Flashguy, congratulations.

Posts: 11814 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I think our monument is the first one placed in a new area opened for the purpose recently. As a result, it may not get as much exposure as those in the initial garden. Hopefully, that will not be the case for too long.

flashguy

Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
How cool is that ! My best friend growing up was station in Germany in the early 60's at a site just like that. I was in France so not to far apart, actually went over on the same day.

Posts: 3848 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post