SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Alligator River NWR is named after the wrong animal
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alligator River NWR is named after the wrong animal Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
I spent a few hours over each of the last three days looking for alligators at the Alligator River NWR in Dare County, NC. Not a single alligator, even though the area is supposed to be loaded with them. All I found were bears. Lots of them. Most of the fields had one or two, or in some cases, three or more. The roads have bear scat all along them. You can see the bear trails leading out of the swamp, across the canals and into the fields. Apparently this place has one of the highest densities of black bears in the US. Some are very big - going to 700+ pounds. Here's a few I was able to get decent shots of.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Micropterus,

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I see a black bear every couple of weeks or so here in the Blue Ridge mountains.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The photos aren't coming through on my end. I was down that way last summer headed toward Manns Harbor. We saw a few in the canal/river that ran along the road. As soon as we would get out to look at one, he'd submerge.

There was a pic of one next to a Dare County cop car that circulated on the web for a while.It was hit by a car.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jackimoe:

Yeah, I got off photobucket, that's why the pics aren't showing anymore. Didn't think this thread would resurface. I've reposted them above, using Imgur.

That gator was killed on Rt 64 that leads through Dare County. There's a canal on the north edge of the road, just on the other side of that guardrail, that apparently has a number of big gators in it. I can't see a reason the woman in a mini-van full of kids couldn't see that gator in the road and not hit it.

A lot of people don't know that NE North Carolina has gators. They grow slower than they do further south, but they get as big as anywhere given enough time.

I hate Facebook with a passion, but it seems to be the best place to look at pics of gators of northeastern North Carolina.

https://www.facebook.com/Coast...ch-1570386006544744/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Micropterus,

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
On big ugly reptile. On the other hand would make quite a few pairs of shoes.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1532 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. Nice boots.

They are making their way up into the Great Dismal Swamp and points farther north now.

Micropterus, have you tried photos in the swamp? Lots of snakes hanging from trees.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yep. Nice boots.

They are making their way up into the Great Dismal Swamp and points farther north now.

Micropterus, have you tried photos in the swamp? Lots of snakes hanging from trees.

I haven't been in the Dismal Swamp for years.

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Um... Why would anyone visit a place called "Dismal Swamp?"

Lol... Seems like a great place to have never been to

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I was kinda disappointed in Alligator River NWR when I was there a few years ago. It was a nice place but besides some frogs and birds, we didn't see much.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

Even better...it's known as the Great Dismal Swamp.

It was one of the places where slaves would run away into and hide. Lots of history.

Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

Even better...it's known as the Great Dismal Swamp.

It was one of the places where slaves would run away into and hide. Lots of history.

Lot's of critters, too. Bears, snakes, otters, and, allegedly, gators, at least in the southern parts. Got to love a place with gators.

I mean, look at the place. Who wouldn't want to be there on a hot, humid day during mosquito season?

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=grea...ges&ia=images&ulexp=